vomitron....

niblik
Sausage Shack

vomitron....

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:08 pm

fingers to all those that are gonna take the piss..

alrighty.. the other day i went out to loburn and picked up a series 2a landrover p.o.s...

it has s.o.a with what i was told were parabolic springs, salisbury rear diff, landy front with range rover hubs and disc fronts.. ya can see the seats, roll bar, has a twin 2.5 exhaust all customed up block huggin headers, b & m shifter, shortened c4 auto, big arsed 4 core radiator (dunno what from, so dont ask.. ) trans oils cooler..

it also has a solid frame with mesh strip along the bonnet just in front of the windscreen.. engine coolin.. sweet.. thought since i'm chuckin a windsor in, i'll grab the tailgate off the 109 s2a i have and put that on the 88".. also on that tailgate there's a twin jerry can holder, so that'll help on the longer trips... :wink:

its been sittin outside unloved and unwanted for the last year.. so theres pieces like the exhaust and roll bar that have surface rust but sound as..

thought might be able to use this as a trials rig (could flop it and not worry, a 'sacrificial lamb' you might say..) i know its not perfect, far from it. but it'll be a bit of fun as rusty is too dodge to take out now...

till the 40 gets goin..

originally it came without a motor (last dude had spent 12 grand on his 302 and wanted to hang onto it..) and needed to source a 302 or 289...

what an interesting night.. started by accumulating a few bits throughout the day...

when it came time to strip crap off old engine and prep it for goin in the hole, there was only one good rubbered engine mount and even then that side was sort a bit of c-channel to bolt onto chassis side of mounts.. soooooooo after a quick call to butlers in stanmore road at 8:50pm, they said yep, got em, close at 9! nibs off racin on a mission to race across there in friday night traffic to get em.. and was successfull.. even managed to get a pair of them that were complete with the afore mentioned c-channel bit to mount em up fully..

then there was an interesting moment with the torque converter.. seems the torque donut thingy wasnt pushed in fully.. when tryin to turn over it didnt seem free, like it was bound up.. so when pullin the motor back out, h20 wiggled then pushed the torque thang in about 10mm...! so then swapped a spacer washer on the ring gear and chucked it back in the hole.. swish! in it went..

then after a bit of hookin up the wiring and muckin around with the remote oil filters, tried startin the sucker... no manifolds on either, just for that 'early 2am neighbourly' wake up call.

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/images/ ... ll_003.mov (p.s vid in 'quicktime' format)

till monday night... :twisted:

just wanna say a might big thanks a heap! to mike, h20, chopper , mat, goose and westie.. heaps of help and thanks!
Last edited by niblik on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Nice work Nibsta, that project is going a heap faster than the 40 :shock:

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:30 pm

yee haaa ! !

advance the timing a bit there dude :wink:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:36 pm

MNC wrote: going a heap faster than the 40 :shock:

Image cheeky monkey...

wopass wrote:advance the timing a bit there dude

heh heh.. sweet.. was just "plugs in? yeah? sweet... crank it!" :lol: got a power of tuning to do yet.. but yeah, when she fired up, there was a definite smile on nibby's dial.. Image
ImageImage

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Cool project, will be good to have it beside Mikes one for comparison sometime.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

red-devil
Hard Yaka

Postby red-devil » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:33 pm

nibs
thats looking like a fun truck, very nice buy

Jono

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Ford and Landrover...........
Belong together :roll:

She will be good when all the bits come together Nibbs!.

Don't forget to check all the bolts we did :P (twas getting on in the evening after all :lol: )
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:31 pm

rokhound wrote: (twas getting on in the evening after all )

is that the long way of spelling 'speights'? :lol:
ImageImage

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Uh huh :lol:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 pm

just thought i'd add that the exhaust manifolds go on backwards and point upwards.. it'll be gettin put together on monday night hopefully so will get a few pics to explain.. pics worth a thousand words.. also need to get some manifold bolts cos the custom headers are thinner than the bulky std jobbies.. thinkin cap screws as the heads of bolts sit too close to the pipes... damn imperial threads too.. :roll:
ImageImage

Mikey
Hard Yaka

Postby Mikey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:18 am

Wondered why I never heard back from you about this truck :? - Oh well looks like it will be a fun truck for you, :D Very cool 8)

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:41 pm

sh*t were gonna have some fun watching you flop this nibs :lol: :lol: :lol: pm me when the test date is :wink: if its this millenium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Nice one nibs, should be a fun truck.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Nibby, give me a few days notice before the finished vehicle test run,

I will see if I can get a day pass from the Retirement Village,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: ,

OLD FITZY.

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:23 pm

gud shit! :lol:

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

spent a couple of nights putting on the manifolds, hookin up the radiator, fitting the alternator and pulleys, front half of exhaust pipes, new points, plugs, oil pressure fitting...

below ya can see the custom manifolds come up and down through the guards.. motor sittin in the hole.. had to remove the stocko oil pressure connection and get a shorter custom jobby to be able to fit on the remote twin filter system ya can see in lower right of pic..

then heres the drivers side inner wheel arch, comes through bib into well, has a large muffler up against firewall side...

and sorta fits like this over all...

need to hook up the electric fans, get a new thermostat housing as the one that came with the motor spits a stream of water out through a small hole :? , new seal which connects carb to block, fanbelt, new plugs cos they need to hug the block to stay away from the manifold..

did start this sucker up with the front half of the exhaust on.. sounds feckin beasty.. :twisted:
ImageImage

coxsy
Hard Yaka

pos

Postby coxsy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:07 pm

all ford V8s have trouble with thermo housings
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:14 pm

ive got some fanbelts here off roks monster :wink: :wink: :wink: first one here wins :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:16 pm

that sentence is to long coxsy it should read all fords are trouble :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

philbell
Stropper

Postby philbell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:44 pm

nice wrk bud!! lookin good, will se if i can get over on monday for a wee look :shock: :shock:

ELEV8
Driver/Navigator

Postby ELEV8 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:36 pm

this is the mad max of 4x4's. Love it. just needs a supercharger now.

gomulletgo
Hard Yaka

Postby gomulletgo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:42 pm

Don't you listen to them nibs, this is all good, as is the 40 :D

Go you good thing :thumright:

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:56 am

yippee! finally got this biatch moving under her own steam......

after a piddly arsed session on the rover with carb seal, radiator electric fans fitting, removal, refitting, alternator fitment and belt too, fuel infeed line, keeping the leads off the manifold, weld last of exhaust front up, swap oil lines on twin filter setup, filling more auto trans fluid..

drove and theres a chronic driveshaft shudder from the shithouse angles, so gonna fix that with a double cardon there, will give extra length for the spline too..

plugs will be modified to sit against block, not exhaust manifold.

need new carb too really.. currently i've got a 2 barrel sieve.

decided to just have front half of the zaust.. neat... :twisted: took it for a squirt up and down the road... oh hell yeah! like a little hotrod.. what a feckin buzz!

footage to follow.....
ImageImage

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 am

niblik wrote:yippee! finally got this biatch moving under her own steam......

after a piddly arsed session on the rover with carb seal, radiator electric fans fitting, removal, refitting, alternator fitment and belt too, fuel infeed line, keeping the leads off the manifold, weld last of exhaust front up, swap oil lines on twin filter setup, filling more auto trans fluid..

drove and theres a chronic driveshaft shudder from the shithouse angles, so gonna fix that with a double cardon there, will give extra length for the spline too..

decided to just have front half of the zaust.. neat... :twisted: took it for a squirt up and down the road... oh hell yeah! like a little hotrod.. what a feckin buzz!

footage to follow.....

Hey nibs, I really need to bring that coffee mug around NOW!

I need to see this beast :twisted:

Mike
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Goose
Complete Plonker

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 pm

mike wrote:
niblik wrote:yippee! finally got this biatch moving under her own steam......

footage to follow.....

Hey nibs, I really need to bring that coffee mug around NOW!

I need to see this beast :twisted:

Mike

Why do you need to see it, Mikey?? Motivation perhaps.......? :lol:

It sounds awesome, insta-acceleration!! 8)
"He who dies with the most toys wins!!"

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:14 am

good work Nibb I bet a little driving will mean the 40 will get spurts and starts between trips in the rover.
Legal disclaimer: Any information I may have provided is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Steve_t647 wrote:good work Nibb I bet a little driving will mean the 40 will get spurts and starts between trips in the rover.

cheeky bugger.. the 40 will get done, just means this rover enables me to drive on trips and not be a passenger.. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

PR
In the crap again

Postby PR » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:55 pm

I think you should be crowned KING of the longest builds in the world for the 40 its good to see the LR didn't take as long or you might have been in your 80's buy the time it was finished :roll:
Its NOT a whale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more like a large seal

(021) 02388443

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:27 pm

PR wrote:I think you should be crowned KING of the longest builds in the world for the 40 its good to see the LR didn't take as long or you might have been in your 80's buy the time it was finished :roll:

Image who let him in here?
ImageImage

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:24 pm

good things take time aye? :wink:

Return to “Projects / Mod's”