THE BIG CHOP PART 6

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

THE BIG CHOP PART 6

Postby Rangerat » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:28 pm

The end is near (yea right!)

After a few weeks it's time for an update.
Work has been keeping me away from home but things have been on the go.
One Friday after work a mate came round to weld up the roof and c-pillar joins. (Tigging is not listed as one of my skills unfortunately)
The Saterday morning saw me out in the shed sanding down the welds to a flush finish on then I started the hated wiring (also not one of my favourite jobs, and after owning 3 landrovers by now I should be good at it!!!!!)
<center>
[url=http://offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=back_left&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>

It took me the rest of the day plus Sunday to finish up the wiring. (I just took my time and worked one wire at a time)
The lights, fuel gage and low fuel warning light now all work.( until Lucas the prince of darkness decides otherwise!)

The fuel filler and tank vent was plimbed in. (the filler is the original pipe cut and rewelded at 90 degress and has a race type fuel cap fitted that I had lying around. (I used to race stockcars a while ago and still have a few bits and pieces lying around.)
<center>
[url=http://offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=deck_and_filler&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>
This is probaly not the best set-up as I was originally going to fit the filler under the side of the deck, (tank to high) then in the Fwd right hand corner,(couldn't get pipe, flexible or metal in the right size to match the original pipe) If I ever get round to building a custom tank I'll re-visit the filler location.
Once the tank plumbing and wiring was finished I fitted the alloy tread plate deck.
This is sealed and riveted in place.
The tank filler is under a hinged panel in the deck. The filler is protected from mud, rocks, girl guides and anything else that may get chucked around by an alloy box.
<center>
[url=http://offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=Fuel_filler_open&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>
The Polycarbonate (Lexan) windows were fitted using sealant and bolts.
Everything was then sealed up, cab, under the deck and anywhere else I could get to.

The doors were treated to new linings as I had removed the rear handles and arm rests and this left some holes. The tread plate at the bottom had been fitted a while ago.
A word of warning to other Rangie owners out there. Don't use the inside handles to open the doors without the retaining screw fitted! (I did and the crap metal where the handle slides into snapped off!!)

Whats next?
Mount the spare, build and fit a box to hold tools and recovery gear, body lift, roll bar, cab lining, the list just seems to go on and on!

Having just sold the Pajero (it wasn't a real 4X4 anyway, that will get them going) I need to get the Rangie up and going real quick!

Now if only work wouldn't keep get in the way.

Photos in my album

Rangerat

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:10 pm

ahhhh thats good.....

:mrgreen:
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:06 am

It hasn't taken you very long at all do get it done 8O You've done a very profesional looking job on it judging by the pics! Something the bodge man would be ashamed of :lol:

I think soon you'll have orders coming in from rangie owners all round the country!! :wink:

Mike

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Excellent project to follow

Just picked up a rangey this weekend to do something similar. (Have done a half cab conversion to my bush truck (modded Zuk - but shouldnt use the Z word in this thread I guess :D)
Firstly, Rangerat, what has been the story on getting the conversion certified, Pre planning/liasing with a certifier etc
Secondly, CT, Im guessing someone in NZ is an agent for the twooffroad products?? Who/when/why, and where can you get pricing??

lowbox
Bush Crasher

Postby lowbox » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:51 am

cut this from jules site
"TWO OFF ROAD" Limited
work alongside "Top of Range" Automotive
12/15 Piermark Drive Albany ,Auckland.
please call us first to discuss your requirments.

021/968-376
Jules@TWOOFFRD.iwarp.com

ct

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:06 am

lilpigzuk

For the cert I have been in regular contact with a fella who deals in certing 4X4's here in Palmy.
His major pionts where windows, seat belt anchors (not a concern as the rangie 2 door ones are in the seat) and any chassis chop.

I'll be bring up the full details on the cert when I take it in. (soon hopefully)

Rat.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”