Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

keithal
Hard Yaka

Re: Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

Postby keithal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm

2.8SURF wrote:If this threads still live and voting, KEEP IT!

How about make it more exclusive, ie only us supporters and paying members are allowed to start threads, non-paying members can only reply and public same as now only read.

Or if even that harsh step fails make it payed site only, dont pay and dont get to post, thatll clean it up pretty fast, im sure we can all agree its a great site and worth paying $25 a year for

i think most will agree that making it a completely paid site will be its downfall
fair enough having certain benefits for paying members but excluding everyone else from the whole site defeats the purpose of having a public forum

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I think it's a good idea to make it a paid site.
I'm happy to pay for the useful input that this site gives me on all sorts of levels.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Let's not go down this road again. It was a massive train wreck last time it was mooted.
Pretty sure you would end up loosing most of the long time members who actually contribute useful content for good.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 pm

rokhound wrote:Let's not go down this road again. It was a massive train wreck last time it was mooted.
Pretty sure you would end up loosing most of the long time members who actually contribute useful content for good.

You're probably right Grant. But at the end of the day with online banking and the like. I thought we'd only be talking about the same amount it costs for a Big Mac Combo or something? It would hardly break the bank to anyone here and might go along way to help Mike, Reece and their helpers.
But hey, if people think it would turn people away from the site maybe you're right.

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

petefj40 wrote:
rokhound wrote:Let's not go down this road again. It was a massive train wreck last time it was mooted.

You're probably right Grant. But at the end of the day with online banking and the like. I thought we'd only be talking about the same amount it costs for a Big Mac Combo or something? It would hardly break the bank to anyone here and might go along way to help Mike, Reece and their helpers.
But hey, if people think it would turn people away from the site maybe you're right.

i probably wouldnt be back if it was a paid only site
trying to live off apprentice wages means every dollar counts

Dannz71
Hard Yaka

Postby Dannz71 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 pm

petefj40 wrote:You're probably right Grant. But at the end of the day with online banking and the like. I thought we'd only be talking about the same amount it costs for a Big Mac Combo or something? It would hardly break the bank to anyone here and might go along way to help Mike, Reece and their helpers.

gday, its not the fact of busting the bank or the difference between $25 or $2 I just feel it would make the difference between convenience and annoyance,
im a newer than some, member, and tho im pretty mechanically minded and have built a few decent highly modifyd trucks with plenty of fab work, I still ask for advice and am always open minded to new ideas and tips.

I Love the site and it has saved me hours of noggin scratching. however if I had to pay to use the site, instead of findng my wallet I would most likely find another forum and would unfourtunatly end up takin advice from some jumped up yankee.
and id rather not.
and don't get me wrong its not cos im a tight arse, if I met ya at the pub id happily buy ya beers all night swapng 4x4 stories and advice.

I say KEEP THE SITE but just get more moderators, and if a user is being obnoxious or nasty with the things they (wouldn't face to face) say then give them message warning and if they are reportd again then boot them. trademe does to keep it clean. y shouldn't we.
cheers

danielbeek
Hard Yaka

Postby danielbeek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

:shock: Definitely keep the site. Please..

So many helpful people on this site willing to go above and beyond to provide info. ie take photos and measurements of parts they first have to remove off their vehicle, just to give you an answer.
I'm occasionally on NZHondas also, and while it's a slick site, the content is such garbage. There's only a few guys that know anything, and the rest talk utter s**t.
ORE can be proud of most of it's content.
I do have a few suggestions however;
1) If possible, improve the search engine (or instructions! maybe it's me..) because I often don't find what I'm after then sometimes get flamed for re-posting stuff that's already out there. I always search on multiple word combinations, not just one attempt.
2) Create 'model' sub categories under vehicle 'brands'. eg, Nissan -> Patrol..
3) Tweak the titles of the current categories - "diesel engines and modifications" could be changed to imply it's generic mods that apply to all/most diesels.
4) Maybe... Allow a duplicate thread function... :? Say I had a mod to discuss that involved my Nissan diesel, but thought the info would be useful to others in the non brand specific category, I could post in both (or automatically link it or something?). Naturally I'll post in Nissan, as I'll get the most relevant replies from guys with same vehicle/engine, but others (non Nissan browsers) may miss out unless they do the search that happens to show up info.
5) Ruthless moderators! Too much crap gets allowed. Users need to take ownership and report abuse - can't expect moderators to read every post.
6) Add a 'Report Banter' button :wink: too many people start their own personal conversations with in-jokes in threads. Dilutes the good tech content and makes long reading. Come on guys - move it to an 'off-topic' thread.
7) Sticky more useful threads, but edit out the crap/banter/unanswered questions.

Happy to become moderator, but with a new baby and house reno going on, can't give it the time it deserves at the moment.
1995 LBYD21, 31" ATs, 2" lift, 2.5" exhaust

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am

another option is what the like of oldschool.co.nz run on their forum. Your not allowed to post into someones build thread, however each build thread usually has a 'build discussion' forum that is linked from the top of the build thread. one for banter, one for photos. works well over there

Bolo
2XL

Postby Bolo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:21 pm

MikeL200 wrote:Keep the site, kick the dicks.

Far too much good information on here to let a couple of trolls ruin it for those that want to learn, share and contribute.

AGREED , KEEP IT 8)
Your name is Bolo and it will stay that way until you have earnt the right to be called your real name........................ Bolo

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:16 pm

For those that know me will know if the following comment is true.

Close it down, or better yet, make Rokhound pay.
ImageImage

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 pm

niblik wrote:For those that know me will know if the following comment is true.

Fark you are funny. :? :roll:

I don't have a terrano, so this site is basically only holds amusement factor for me now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 pm

rokhound wrote:

I don't have a terrano, so this site is basically only holds amusement factor
for me now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

im sure someone would selflessly offer to straight swap there terrano for your truck :lol: :lol: :lol:

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:16 pm

rokhound wrote:
niblik wrote:For those that know me will know if the following comment is true.

I don't have a terrano, so this site is basically only holds amusement factor for me now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

how many times your ride been out compared to those terranos this month/year/decade :? :mrgreen: :lol:

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 pm

im sure someone would selflessly offer to straight swap there terrano for your truck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truck? Expensive garden art isn't it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:02 pm

its not a site its a community. There are cu#ts in every community. Just because the neighbour to the left of me has pissed me off doesnt mean im going to throw my toys and not lend my chainsaw to my neighbour on the other side..
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 pm

rangimotors wrote:its not a site its a community. There are cu#ts in every community. Just because the neighbour to the left of me has pissed me off doesnt mean im going to throw my toys and not lend my chainsaw to my neighbour on the other side..

2 things I don't lend.. my chainsaw and my wife.. :lol: :wink:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Big wrote:
rangimotors wrote:its not a site its a community. There are cu#ts in every community. Just because the neighbour to the left of me has pissed me off doesnt mean im going to throw my toys and not lend my chainsaw to my neighbour on the other side..

2 things I don't lend.. my chainsaw and my wife.. :lol: :wink:

What if the wife wanted to borrow the chainsaw?
:shock:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:34 am

In my case thats no problem. she can't even start the lawn mower..... I think my 46 & 66 are safe.... to be honest I don't think she would be able to lift the 66 with the 3' bar :lol:

mikeyt1689
Bush Crasher

Postby mikeyt1689 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:51 pm

keep it definatly really good site

Return to “Announcements”