Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

T-Boon
Hard Yaka

Re: Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

Postby T-Boon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 am

Def keep, I think the masses have spoken, and with more mods you can get them to forward issues to an enforcer, and he is the one that gets to wave the big stick, that way theres only one person to hate and it keeps it all fair and even across the board. what one person thinks is a piss take could come across insulting to someone else.

I`d also put up my hand, I used to be a moderator on the D1NZ forum, and Silvia club forum and would put up my hand also if wanted.
To Boon or not to Boon.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 am

Its should stay
"Crap" posts have been happening here for yrs , they tend to come n go & will still do in future.
Maybe ORE needs to stick to the basics.
Drop the fishing, hunting bikes , pages.
Consolidate the forums , are to many , making it harder to find info & also harder to moderate.
Make it easier to post pics , didnt always have to use a 3rd party (photobucket) etc to post pics.
The best thing about ORE is the people & whether you like it or not people have lots of diff opinions & people do tend to speak more openly in a forum than they might in public.Men do this especially , in the past we have have some guys tell us some very deep secrets & ask us for help, its important that the ability to do this in the future remains.

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 am

Keep it.

There will always be muppets, flamin and the rest, there are people in the world with nothing better to do.

There is a lot of good info on here and people who know what they're doing and are willing to help others. That in itself makes it worth keeping.

Nizzanman
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nizzanman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Keep it I say, always good to share advice and keep up with what's happening in the world of 4wd, don't let a couple of muppets ruin it for the rest. :D

SavagePixie
Driver/Navigator

Postby SavagePixie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Smurf wrote:
SavagePixie wrote:But a report bad post button

A few people have mentioned this. In the bottom right of every post there is a report post button. It is a small exclamation mark button, located slightly above the 'QUOTE' button.

Wow I really feel blind now!

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Please keep the site.

It is so much more friendly than Outerlimits and more relevant than Pirate (both of those sites are great, just not the same as this)

Not sure that I'd qualify, but happy to be a mod if that would be helpful.

Arron.

rolla4wd
Bush Crasher

Postby rolla4wd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 am

I don't post alot but have had some good info off here and met some great people
keep also offer to help with anything

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 pm

mike wrote:....Only one thumbs down and that was from a LR twit so thats understandable. If anyone wants to leave a burning bag of dog shit on his door, ring the buzzer and run off, be my guest :lol:

Hahaha!! Rexo, always full of laughs.

Thumbs down meant "Live" in the Coliseum so I'm sure that's exactly what he was trying to say :wink:

My vote - Keep it :mrgreen:

IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Postby IcedJohnno » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 am

Hey Mike
Good call to open this issue up like this. I've just seen this thread and agree with all. Keep this awesome site going, delegate mod work as needed, and lay the rules out again, which you have already done.

I am happy to help wherever, and also read this site regularly. Normally a couple of times a day, though not since Weds eve this week.

I would love to see a return of the experienced members and their wisdom expressed on these pages. That is what I come here for.

Mike, Thanks for you energy input regarding the creation and maintenance of this site, and to Reece for his efforts as well. Truly appreciated!

Cheers John

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 am

KEEP

Mike and Reece, you guys do an awesome job keeping this going.
Lots of good people on here to help out...gees its how I got started anyway.

I think to keep some members happy, only 'supporters' should be able to post in certain threads, thus leaving the random newby restricted to post in limited ones.

Happy to help out where I can.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 pm

There's far too many replies and too little time to read 'em all, but this is my take on it.
Keep the site for sure, this is definitely one of the better sites out there.
Keep the dickheads under control, but a bit of good natured ribbing makes it a bit more fun, as long as it doesn't detract from the subject at hand too much.
I don't think that guys asking stuff that has been asked before is all bad, I've seen stuff come up that has been linked back to past posts by guys that remember them, and some good stuff that would have not necessarily crossed My mind otherwise. And of course some have made new discoveries since the last time the subject was aired.
Um...that's about it, it's pretty good as it is really. 8)

micahb
Hard Yaka

Postby micahb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

keep it, clean it up a bit, tell a few people whats what, and get back to what we are all here to do. talk 4x4s.

Micah.

shity old hilux
Bush Crasher

Postby shity old hilux » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 am

Keep it. Very usefull facts. Look at it every day almost.

Cambo
Bush Crasher

Postby Cambo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 am

DEATH_INC wrote:There's far too many replies and too little time to read 'em all, but this is my take on it.
Keep the site for sure, this is definitely one of the better sites out there.
Keep the dickheads under control, but a bit of good natured ribbing makes it a bit more fun, as long as it doesn't detract from the subject at hand too much.
I don't think that guys asking stuff that has been asked before is all bad, I've seen stuff come up that has been linked back to past posts by guys that remember them, and some good stuff that would have not necessarily crossed My mind otherwise. And of course some have made new discoveries since the last time the subject was aired.
Um...that's about it, it's pretty good as it is really. 8)

+1
I view the site most days, and will contribute where I feel it is worthwhile, the post whoring seems a bit rampant at time by certain individuals, but apart from that shes all good

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am

Stink site, I don't spend any time on here at all...
Make Rex a moderator, we all know how moderate he is... that will sort the trolls and flaming
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 am

Keep it!!!. The Patrol 4x4 forum has gone thru similar, even a rival forum has started. Get the ban stick out and use it, it works over here, but then Australians are thicker then some..... :wink: Been on here way too long to let it go, even though I don't live in NZ anymore, I love keeping up with things, brings back memories. I was one of the originals that got the discussion and trips rolling. Happy to moderate as I hardly know any of ya's now and hold no judgements except those based on what you post.

Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Bubba wrote:Stink site, I don't spend any time on here at all...
Make Rex a moderator, we all know how moderate he is... that will sort the trolls and flaming

What? :shock: Let the ginga have free reign. Ole Fanta pants will turn it into a martial state where only rovers are allowed. :mrgreen:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 pm

keep it....

as a million before has said

what about this for an idea to help start the clearing of confusion

as from a certain date all accounts with no location stated will be suspended until its filled out

virtually all new users of late have no location on there page, and when pressed they generally didnt realise that it was there

Nizzanman
Driver/Navigator

Postby Nizzanman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:44 pm

That's a good point where do you put in your location etc :D

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Nizzanman wrote:That's a good point where do you put in your location etc :D

refer to here: http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... =6&t=34846
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Filmz64
Driver/Navigator

Postby Filmz64 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

I love this site, it has some great info, but you're right there is a lot of crap and punks that are not constructive with their advice and opinions.

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Wow, we're back to this again... seems to come up every now and then... but since I haven't been here for a while (see the simex for sale post for details why if you want to know) I've been largely unaware.

I'm still a mod from the early days - although I haven't done much modding of late - mainly because I haven't been here. I'm happy to remain a mod if you want me to Mike, albeit a now-and-then one at the moment.

I think I joined ORE within a day or two of it starting, and posted a lot of tech stuff when I was in the game. I still get PM's from people asking for clarification on some of it, so I know it still gets found and read. Those were the "good ol' days". A lot of the tech that got posted back then is still valid - members like Tom, Rok, Hosehustler, SupraSurf, Rik and others posted up some really cool stuff.. it would be a shame to turf it because there are a few dicks on the site now.

I'd say you need to condense the number of categories - get rid of non-4WD shit, or compile it all into one single Uber-Off-Topic area, and remove that area from the current posts list.

I wouldn't like to see a minimum posts before using this section rule - that makes the assumption that all new members are n00bs, which just isn't true. Those rules put new experienced members off... I know they piss me off when I encounter them on other forums.

On a technical note, this site is suffering from quite a few issues... would it be easier to migrate the data to a clean PHPBB install? Is there anything better these days (Mike, what was that one we paid for at PQ?). And are the problems Drupal-related? Do we need the Drupal stuff really?

Anyway - I love the site... and I do keep coming back occasionally - and want to get back into it more - even though I only have a boring old Land Rover now... I know they suck, and are no good off road, and the owners of them are all 'special'... especially that Rex bloke :mrgreen: . But don't take my ORE away or I'll have a tanty... and no-one likes a Landy owner who's having a tanty...

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi brothers and sisters of the ORE community, if ever there was a case to keep ORE going and how it works just look at the response that Steve's story has captured. ORE is not only about 4wding although 4wding is what attracted us here in the first place and should predominantly be the reason we visit here. After many hours of visiting the site and meeting members on the trail friendships are forged and as we don't see a lot of members face to face the keyboard becomes the interaction media. As with Steve's plight members have been able to "give" and giving can be done in many ways, not just putting your hand in your pocket it might just be a offer of assistance , a kind word or just being there. Over the years ORE community has "given" to members who have lost the battle of life, lost love ones, had family break ups, business failures, mental breakdowns and financial problems, all has been achieved through personal visits or through the keyboard. ORE will change, that is the nature of life, members will come and go but what is prevalent and has shown up is there are a lot of long serving members that don't show up on ORE on a regular basis but they are still keeping an eye on things.
ORE will keep going and this shows that we need an OFF TOPIC section we just need to be more aware of one another and most of all,

"GIVE"

FITZY.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Well said.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Geez Fitzy that's a bit deep for a farkin' ole grease monkey :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Still, I'm just a dumb old chippie what the fark would I know :wink:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Keep it. This is the main forum I use followed by nzfordforum.com.

Plenty of great info and great people, alway have a good chat when I meet up with anyone.

Ray
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am

smurf182 wrote:Keep it.

The problem lies with a lack of active moderation. I would suggest ih8mud.com as great example of a 4x4 forum that works well because it has many proactive moderators - posts in the wrong place get moved, post shit wildly off topic and it gets removed and you're told to pull your head in.

Also, a more minor issue - there are way to many sub forums here, it's no wonder people don't post in the right place. Say I have an issue with my diesel cruiser, do I post in the Toyota section, diesel section, tool shed?

Keep up the good work, this is new Zealand's foremost online 4x4 community, and with some TLC it can run smoothly.

+1 to this, I'm a noob here and it's a bit confusing where to post things or look for answers first.
More active moderation would be good, you just have to find good mods!

Mistralmadness
Winch master

Postby Mistralmadness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm

KEEEEEEEP IT....

ORE is a great place to get helpful info from other 4x4 owners in NZ with the same types of vehicle models unlike getting advice from overseas forums where the vehicle models can be slightly different to very different so for us kiwis, its more of a real world environment.
As well there are events and activities that members can get involved in and it has a real club feel unlike a foreign forum site that we can't get involved in as easily.

I was on here ages ago as hulux-happy and meet a lot of good ppl. there were problems back then as well with abuse on the site and i truly believe you'll never get rid of all of it because its usually that small percentage that ruin it for the 99% of site users that are good. If it was a paid subscribers forum only then the newbie that justs wants to know how to fit a small mod or diagnose a problem then he may miss out, but allowing him for free will always make it a target for others to dribble talk.

anyway thats my dribble and two cents worth, please keep it and as more mods are enlisted then the abuse and dribble will be dealt with more efficiently.

Cheers, Steve

spankmeister
Hard Yaka

Postby spankmeister » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Haven't been on the site for some time and I have noticed a huge change in the amount of crap posted.

I say keep the site, the historical archives are way too valuable to be lost forever.

Would be happy to help moderate if required. Have a bit if experience in this area on a big international aircraft forum site.

Cheers
Mike
Mike - PM me for phone number

* LN65 D/Cab * Snorkel * 50mm Lift * 33" Mud's * 3.8 V6 *

2.8SURF
Bush Crasher

Postby 2.8SURF » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 pm

If this threads still live and voting, KEEP IT!

How about make it more exclusive, ie only us supporters and paying members are allowed to start threads, non-paying members can only reply and public same as now only read.

Or if even that harsh step fails make it payed site only, dont pay and dont get to post, thatll clean it up pretty fast, im sure we can all agree its a great site and worth paying $25 a year for
gigidy gigidy gigidy goo

Return to “Announcements”