Approximate value of a Defender?

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Approximate value of a Defender?

Postby Wild_South » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a Defender (not overly fussy whether it's a 110 or 90), however I have a limited budget of up to about 16k. Is this a realistic price to pick up a tidy mid 1990's one for? Or am I being entirely unrealistic?

Cheers
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Approximate value of a Defender?

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:33 pm

yeah it is, but most of them have done a fair few km now. And i also think you may need to wait a while(or one may pop up straight away) becuase they sporadically come on the market.
I'm sure you will pick one up for that money, but it will depend on your personal standards.
What motor were you thinking, as some people value the V8 petrols differently to the 200/300Tdi diesels?

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:40 pm

It depends on what model you are wanting body style wise. 110 Station wagons are always sort after and 90's that age rarely come up for sale and when they do they are snatched up quickly for good prices.

With that budget you will be looking for something that may need work. If you are up to it there's a 110 on TM now that requires welding repairs to firewall or replacement.

I would suspect any vehicle in mid 90's at that price will require some work, so yes your budget will be a little unrealistic if you are not prepared to spend additional funds for accessories or repairs.

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks mate. I was certainly leaning for a diesel. Thanks, I'll keep an eye/ear out
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Ralfie wrote:If you are up to it there's a 110 on TM now that requires welding repairs to firewall or replacement.

I would suspect any vehicle in mid 90's at that price will require some work, so yes your budget will be a little unrealistic if you are not prepared to spend additional funds for accessories or repairs.

Cheers Ralfie. I had seen that but I wasn't a bit cautious in regards to just how much that firewall would cost. Any estimates? Cheers

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Not picking shit but for the sake of accuracy, the Defender nameplate was released with the 200TDI engine (1991?), hence only the 200/300 TDi, TD5 and later ones are technically Defenders.

The V8/2.25 petrol/2.5 petrol/2.25 diesel/2.5 NA diesel and 2.5 turbo diesel (indirect injection) are known as the Land Rover Ninety and Land Rover One-Ten. They had different gearboxes ti the Defender, and also other minor details, such as the older 4-spoke steering wheel and Series style door handles.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Yeah, you might get lucky and score a 300Tdi 110 for that money, but you will have to be really quick on it. When we got Betsie, we were already on the way to the airport to fly to Blenheim to get it before we had even got hold of the seller on trademe. Managed to find his phone number after trolling through all his previous auctions. Gotta be really keen and sometimes devious :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mid nineties expect the standard door frame rust, fire wall rust, 250,000ks plus, a tatty interior.

Mechanically, it will probably need A Frame ball joint, drive flanges and have a good listen to fith gear.

Betsie was $16k with 140km on it but REALLY rough panel work which required a respray. Every door was dented and it was covered in alloy rust bubbles. Interior was great and had a recent gearbox overhaul I suspect.

Dusty was $12k with a scruffy interior and 400+km on it. Mint body and chassis, never been off road. Needed lots of small odds and ends to make it drive nicely.

Forward Specs was selling a nice one a year ago. It was almost up to the spec that we bought Betsie up to in terms of appearance inside and out, but with 200+km on it. They got $33k for it. It's definitely worth investing and bringing one up to spec.

I personally don't like the TD5, but they are a good reliable motor, don't write them off as you get a lot more vehicles to choose from :D :D

http://www.landroverspares.co.nz will have everything you need :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 pm

I know of a Land Rover 90 in pieces that is going cheap (well compared to what they are in one piece :lol: )

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Cheers guys!

Anyone know a rough cost of a full for wall replacement?

raywongu
Winch master

Postby raywongu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:06 pm

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Its cool but its not a Defender. Its a Land Rover One-Ten.

Note the hardtop has square series style windows and rear quarter windows.
Somebodys put new doors on it, probably because the frames on the old ones rusted out.
Somebody should ask for a pic of the engine bay, my money is on a 2.5NA diesel, worlds apart from the TDI. Which means it wont have the R380 either. Also verify the mileage.

He really shouldn't be advertising it as a Defender.

Either he is ignorant or trying to drive the price up to Defender money.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:48 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Its cool but its not a Defender. Its a Land Rover One-Ten.

Note the hardtop has square series style windows and rear quarter windows.
Somebodys put new doors on it, probably because the frames on the old ones rusted out.
Somebody should ask for a pic of the engine bay, my money is on a 2.5NA diesel, worlds apart from the TDI. Which means it wont have the R380 either. Also verify the mileage.

He really shouldn't be advertising it as a Defender.

Either he is ignorant or trying to drive the price up to Defender money.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware

"Some one had to ask" Image. ... :mrgreen:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah I was interested in that one, but like you say it's know exactly a Defender. He seems to not be too keen for me to get it inspected which seems odd immediately. Probably ridden with rust and all sorts

LR90NZ
Hard Yaka

Postby LR90NZ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Its cool but its not a Defender. Its a Land Rover One-Ten.

Not sure what your point is with the doors is.
The push button type doors were first fitted in 1987 with the revised features of the 90/110 which included the turbo diesel engine.

That vehicle is April 1989 so doors correct for year.

The nonsense over the Defender name is mostly just that, as people don't know the difference. After all it looks like the latest model at first glance to most.
But then again the seller is correct as it was imported used from Australia in late 2004 and is officially listed with NZTA as a Defender 110 ................. as recorded on the registration.

The vehicle was imported from Australia in 2004 and I suspect was fully rebuilt by Forward Specs in Auckland who will also have fitted the 300tdi engine.
Forwards Specs often fitted the 300tdi with the 5-speed LT85 gearbox from V8 models and considering the original engine was a 3.5 V8 I suspect it will still have the LT85.

My biggest concern though is the 192,000 discrepancy in the odometer reading between Nov 2006 and May 2007.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:00 am

Oh I thought those push button type door handles didnt arrive until the Defender nameplate was released in late 1990. It looks like those doors were added to make it look more modern when they repainted it in Defender style metallic paint too.

A potential buyer needs to be educated and informed that it is not original specification. If it was original specification TDI it would have an R380 transmission behind it, right? And if its an original specification 300TDI it would have to be manufactured from 1994 onwards right?

Check out the galvanised bumper (non Defender), the steering wheel (non Defender) and the rear jump seat trim (non Defender)

Bottom line is there is a big distinction between Defender and non Defender, and its technically impossible that this vehicle is a 1989 Land Rover Defender. :D :D

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 am

lax2wlg wrote:Oh I thought those push button type door handles didnt arrive until the Defender nameplate was released in late 1990. It looks like those doors were added to make it look more modern when they repainted it in Defender style metallic paint too.

A potential buyer needs to be educated and informed that it is not original specification. If it was original specification TDI it would have an R380 transmission behind it, right? And if its an original specification 300TDI it would have to be manufactured from 1994 onwards right?

Check out the galvanised bumper (non Defender), the steering wheel (non Defender) and the rear jump seat trim (non Defender)

Bottom line is there is a big distinction between Defender and non Defender, and its technically impossible that this vehicle is a 1989 Land Rover Defender. :D :D

Im aorry but i get where you 2 are going but to the avarage person it looks like a defender... Defender or not he has said what he knows in auction... If he didnt get the work done how the hell is he ment to know all this stuff you guys are saying?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:39 am

I dunno im just being anal about it guess

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am

Regardless, with the 300tdi in it, and minimal rust from it's rebuild, it's a bloody good score for someone at that price!!!!
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

raywongu
Winch master

Postby raywongu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I found another "defender" for you wild south, although I think this one really confuses me.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =857550284

Good luck again dude

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”