Just bought a Disco TD5

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Re: Just bought a Disco TD5

Postby Rotazuk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:37 am

I ended up getting in the ashcroft one as I could not have the disco off the road too long . I have my old TQ here if you want to make one , make me an offer , its the way I would go next time . Its bit hard for me to say as I had the ecu chipped before replacing the TQ and my TQ was sad etc . But I would check it out first so you do not throw money at the engine and be unable to use the power . It was just your comment that it performs like a petrol that made me comment as that is exactly what mine was like until I changed the TQ , the ecu map did not help .

Mine would change at 2800 under average driving , thats too high . 2400 or 2500 would be ok . Not sure what a good standard TQ does I suspect about these figures . Mine now changes at 1900 to 2400 depending on how hard the boot is up it . I can easily keep up with traffic an not pull more than 2250 . Lock up will not occur until its warm , as you have found out .

As matt said make sure it sits at 2250 at 100kph , this means the lock up is in . If you lift off the gas at 100kph and the revs drop noticably its not in . Mine was very hard to get to lock up , changing fluid helped for a month or two . Funnily enough towing a medium load it would lock in every time . Must be extra load on the box .

It is now more like I expect a diesel to be , pulls like a school boy from 1800 up throu 2500 . Running up a hill local here if I keep meduim boot the revs climb to 2500-2600 ,it just sits there and not much happens , if I ease off the gas a bit and let the TQ lock up it drops back to 2100 and is off again acelerating at a good pace . I am sure it would pull more if I stomped on it at 2600 but it drives and feels better to let it lock up and use the torque . Why they made an auto that holds the gear above the torque curve I will never know .

I should get my old ecu out and get the new chip profesionaly soldered in and try it again . I think I would get better economy from that file compared to the file on the later model ecu I have currently installed . The last two chips only lasted about 6 months , they were ones I burnt and installed . This time I got the guys that wrote the file to burn the chip . Maybe it will last longer , also I want to put a socket on the board so I can swap chips without having to solder them on all the time .

Short version - make sure the TQ is ok before spending $$$ on engine mods .

I got my disco at 200 thou , TQ replaced at 260 and its now at 320 . Oh and see if the heads been off , it will only be a matter of time . My dowels had snapped in half the head had moved that much . I think it would be better to pull it and put in steel ones if it has not been off , rather than wait for it to cook itself and cause $$$ .

Cheers
Chris

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 pm

mine is a 2004 so it should have steel dowels from factory.
when I get my nanocom I'll be able to better see maf and boost etc so I'll get it running sweet and stock first before deciding what to change
I'll be doing a full service, all oils and trans flush too before I start tweaking.
I better double check my front drive shaft too!

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

IMG_20150330_100438.jpg

IMG_20150330_100402.jpg

A bit of wear :D
How hard can it be?

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”