Repowering Series II

V8SeriesII
Winch master

Repowering Series II

Postby V8SeriesII » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Can anyone help out with alternative engine and gear box transplants for a series landy. Got a 202 in at the moment, want more power and fuel injection. Looked at a VK but getting harder to source and pretty keen at getting a 5 speed box in there too. V8 would be nice. Anyone with experience? Thanks.

humvee
Driver/Navigator

Postby humvee » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Prob not quite what you after and unsure of price but this is tempting http://www.forward-specialties.co.nz/engine.htm

PS Im currently running a nissan LD28 in my series iii

V8SeriesII
Winch master

Postby V8SeriesII » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Great thanks for that, dont want a diesal though and more I think the more I would like to replace engine and gearbox in one. What box are you running with that??

Furgus
Hard Yaka

Postby Furgus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:11 pm

The obvious answer will be a Rover V8 with 'box from a wrecked Disco or Rangy. Whatever you do will some fabrication around the firewall & transmission tunnel & of course new mounts - all need certing if it's to be road legal. Of course just about any motor/box combination can be made to fit with enough work - just depends on what you want to take on :shock:
If at first you don't succeed .... Get a bigger hammer!!

V8SeriesII
Winch master

Postby V8SeriesII » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 pm

Has anyone trialed with other V8's not range rover?

humvee
Driver/Navigator

Postby humvee » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:15 pm

with mine Im running the std series 3 box and transfer

Furgus
Hard Yaka

Postby Furgus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 pm

I've heard of people putting small block chevy's in but they tend to be quite heavy - of course if you really want to make it boogy then chuck a Lexus V8 into it - just make sure you upgrade the gearbox, drive shafts, diffs, axles & UJ's :P :P :P :P :P

Seriously any V8 transplant will cost a minimum $4000 if you don't want to break other stuf :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now I'm biased & I love my landies - but I also know their limitations - if you just want to increase it's power & torque on the cheap then I'd probably go with a Rover V8 with a LT95 4spd 'box or if you really want to be cheap then see if you can find an efi 202 motor (there has been one on TradeMe in Waihi - asking $350) this should mate up wih the set-p you already have).

Hope this has been some help
Furgus
If at first you don't succeed .... Get a bigger hammer!!

V8SeriesII
Winch master

Postby V8SeriesII » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:49 am

Yeah I have a couple Vk's already and my red motor has the yella terra head on it so it's not bad already, im thinkin I mite just stick with a VK and have the cam machined. Get EFI and a better motor that way. I would really like to upgrade to a 5 speed box with that setup though? Any sugestions there? Also, I have already put power steering into our other one using a pajero steering column and I think an SJ80 steering arm with holden pump? Any other easier options there second time round? Thanks.

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:12 am

have you decided what you're doin yet? I run a holden 202 with EFI and it runs very well. Is more reliable than the carby engine that was in it. It is backed up to the landy gearbox and transfer case. It would be nice to have an auto in it if anyone knows of an adaptor kit?

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”