solenoid wiring

Furgus
Hard Yaka

solenoid wiring

Postby Furgus » Tue May 25, 2004 8:58 am

Hi there all

I have finally managed to get my new (old) 2.25l petrol motor going on the floor of the garage. I started it by simply holding the wire to the starter motor onto the battery terminal by hand until it fired. The starter motor does not have a solenoid attached a most others seem to (I assume it's an early S2 motor & starter). So the questionis how do i wire up a separate solenoid for the starter. I've looked in the Haynes book of lies and am still confused. My basic understanding is that a solenoid is like a large relay i.e. it acts as a switch when a small amount of current passes thru thus negating the need for an ignition switch with massive terminals. The solenoids I have in the shed have 2 large terminals and 2 small. My assumption was that the large are for wire from battery and to starter motor, and the small are for a wire from battery to switch to solenoid and from solenoid to earth. This did not work - so i'm a tad confused - I'm also the first to admit that wiring is something that I've not a lot of experience in and my knowledge is very slim. Please advise as how the heck to progress and please don't laugh too loudly ;-)

Furgus

suzukisam
Driver/Navigator

Postby suzukisam » Tue May 25, 2004 3:02 pm

when you put voltage thru tthe little wires on the solenoid it should go 'click' and you should get continuity thru the big side as you say, try feeding it voltage and throw a multi meter on it. the solenoid may be stuff-ed or you are not giving it enough voltage.
Lester
Waikato NZ
The Last Samurai

Furgus
Hard Yaka

Postby Furgus » Tue May 25, 2004 9:17 pm

Ok I got it sorted - the problem was that I was testing the motor out of the vehicle and thus the solenoid body was not earthed. As soon as I wired an earth in to to body of the solenoid - not a terminal - it worked a treat. Cheers Furgus

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”