Range rover or Defender

Zukin
Hard Yaka

Range rover or Defender

Postby Zukin » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:23 pm

I am looking into one of the two vehciles above if I dont go for the EVO Pajero, any recommendations?
Models to get etc

I like the long wheel base defender, but damn hard to find.

Cheers

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:39 pm

Hi

Check out TradeMe .co.nz
Theres a fully kitted defender in there. just type in rover.

as for me (if I could win lotto) defender 90, with a V8 of course :twisted:

Rat

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:57 pm

I've had a play in a few defenders and you cant beat the 90's for sheer manouverability. I could go into much more interesting places than my mate in his 110.... But if you need load carrying then 110 it will have to be. I had a TD5 with ABS/Traction Control/Electric windows... all mod cons... In the 12 months I had it, it never failed me ... well except that one time when I tried to get out of a clay hole, with sides that were almost vertical.... damn the body work was expensive to fix....

Oh and they do look cool, (in the right color of course) this was mine just after I bought it (new) will buy another when I have the money...

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=2002_Defender_90_CHT&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:36 am

Didnt think I would ever see the day Scott - you considering a british product??!!
Horses for courses I guess. Ranges are plentiful and can be found for absolute bargains, Defender would be my choice, 90 can be a bit short for people (the rear sideways facing seat suck to travel in), the 110 has all the room in the world, but suffers on tight winding tracks. For touring the tdi would be the engine of choice, while the V8 has the power and sound (and fuel bill). The classic Rangie has the ideal wheelbase at 100" (inbetween the defenders).
Ive seen that particular 110 advertised on trademe. Bit of a list wrong with it and personally, $25,000 ono is bloody steep for this vehicle. For example there is a 1990 110 with the early turbo diesel for sale in Auckland (which is tempting me) for $6000. Strap a winch/bullbar/roofrack/camel cloured paint on it and you would still be under half of $25,000.
If you go Rangie get as latter model as you can, I really notice the difference driving my 72 to work after selling my 91 Disco (no power steering/heavy clutch/basically 19 years technology :? :D :D
Low Box should be able to give you all the pro's on a 90.....

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:42 pm

You could always buy a second hand one from the UK and import it.... I worked out it would be cheaper ;)
-----------------------

Athalus78
Bush Crasher

Postby Athalus78 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:41 am

Worst case scenario biuld your own. It doesn't matter what make or model by the time you spend umpting hours and god only knows how much$ on the thing even a lada niva can be a real weapon off road.

lowbox
Bush Crasher

Postby lowbox » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:43 pm

Just depends what you want to do.
Loaded touring/safaris/off-roading with more than 2 people - can't beat a 110.
Bush Pig or winch challenge truck - an old classic rangie and 20 grand ;-)
90 is great for most things but really a 2 seater. Pretty rare and therefore pricey too.
A Disco is worth a look, you can get get them well cheap compared to defenders (If I could find a 1997 Defender in good nick with a 4 litre V8 and only 50 k's on the clock for 20 grand - I'd have one instead of the Disco!)

A 90 or 110 are both very easy trucks to drive off-road, and don't need much modification to go serious 4-wheeling.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:15 pm

Wellll .... erm you can buy a 2000 TD5 Defender 90 CHT for 4KGBP... in the UK of course...
-----------------------

chops
Bush Crasher

Postby chops » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:19 pm

i would have to say that the defender looks all good but if you want to make it in a hard core truck go for the range as there are more upgrades but it would be good to see some more 90 or 110 hard trucks out there but it comes down to this is its for town mosty and off road average track go for the defender and the range for a full on truch let us know what you end up with and if you want to do any mods 8)

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Hmm... well I'd always buy a 90 if I could afford it.... but always did love that series I rangie I had.... :?
-----------------------

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:25 am

chops wrote:i would have to say that the defender looks all good but if you want to make it in a hard core truck go for the range as there are more upgrades

err, isn't it the other way around? easier to get upgrades for a defender, (PTO would be the classic one), the main thing in rangies favour is they are cheap and most have v8s!

mercutio
Hard Yaka

i got a series 3 landrover

Postby mercutio » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:38 pm

ex army V8 24v lwb i might be interested in parting with it is just sitting in my garage doing not too much

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”