Its not a project.... honest lol

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Re: Its not a project.... honest lol

Postby De-Ranged » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 pm

A wee update.... waiting on bits for the box to be freighted, so the rest of the box is on hold, have received a parcel tho from Rex @ Landrover spares, a set of new seals for the transfer case so no more cheap shots from the glass half full crowd
Also got the last joints to do the front suspension, got a small problem thats stopping me there.... I decided to look into the chances of making this class legal to race the truck in the ORANZ sport truck class... just incase I decide to have a go locally for fun (not going to overly competitive on leaf springs and an old commy motor lol)
Problem is there rule book isn't intended for the style of suspension and the chopping to the chassis so before I commit to the front suspension I want some clarification not expecting a reply for a few days at least

So decided to sort some of the body, so made up the 50x50 box pillars that will hold the roof and the rear body bar work

And yes I have lowered the roof by 40mm, made that decision when I did the windscreen, I'm going to have deeper foot wells so I'm going to recline the seats a little
Got the panels cut to fit might weld them in this weekend, then I drop the cab back on and profile the brace that will support it

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:47 am

And luckily you're a short ar$e so you could lower the roof another foot :lol:

Your poor mrs :lol:
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:15 am

De-Ranged wrote: a set of new seals for the transfer case so no more cheap shots from the glass half full crowd

Must be a Land Rover glass huh, the other half leaked out... :mrgreen:
Must say your fabrication skills are extremely impressive! 8)

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:37 am

Weemsy wrote:And luckily you're a short ar$e so you could lower the roof another foot :lol:

I thought about lowering the roof more but I kept thinking... how are my mates going to go to drive the lines I like unless I drive them

Thank you for the comment Z

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:49 pm

De-Ranged wrote:
Weemsy wrote:And luckily you're a short ar$e so you could lower the roof another foot :lol:

I thought about lowering the roof more but I kept thinking... how are my mates going to go to drive the lines I like unless I drive them

Thank you for the comment Z

Hahaha! I love your humour almost as much as your engineering dude :mrgreen:
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Got the side panels welded in, dropped the roof on so I can use the back of the cab to help make a template for a brace to run across the cab this is also what I will tie the top harness straps in to

Didn't have enough sheet to cut the pattern (shed mate cut a chunk off the end of a sheet I was saving, so hopefully Mon he will be replacing it) then some cool stuff will happen lol

Blocked up a seat so I can see how it felt should be all sweet.... won't be doing the seat box and mounts till I have the motor gear train mounted

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Been a bit distracted CAD'ing up the truck.... think I'm going to have a go at making this class 4 legal for ORANZ, just about got all the bits on the computer then I can start moving things around see if I can fit the chassis in a slightly different position lol

Had enough of measuring and CAD and a mate wanted a catch up at the shed so I felt I should do something on the truck, so I decided to take a punt that the transfercase bits on there way up will fit and decided to finish the PTO shaft, by cutting the dog clutch splines

Still got another pass to cut down the middle of each tooth and I have a spline

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Well after all this time on CAD I am admitting defeat...
I was getting too many compromises in an attempt to fit the chassis rails within spec's for offroad racing and given the few times I want to have a play.... back to the original plan lol as a club truck

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 pm

De-Ranged wrote: back to the original plan lol as a club truck

Tui moment coming up.... :shock:

Yeah right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll see. :mrgreen:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:23 pm

:lol: you'll laugh at this but the biggest problem was fitting the leaf springs, if I went coils it would be easy
With the travel changed to close to as much up as down and for the high speed they are the better option too.... I just wanted to do 1/4 eliptical lol

and yes there will be a couple of changes too since I've done all this CAD I've come up with a couple of cool ideas lol but it will just be a club truck now

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:14 am

just wondering but will cantilevered shocks be featuring on this as it would seem you will be flexing a bit more than standard,
also these could be doubled up with one running backwards to counter the flop and unload you talk of with the 1/4 set up. ie not only shock dampening but unload dampening
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:39 am

funny you should mention that..... there could be a bit extra alone those lines.... but not shocks, and only once I have it up and running

As for the "flop and unload" that applies to any suspension that has the springs dislocating or having free drop like in the case of scissor shackles on standard leaf springs
In the case of the 1/4 elliptical this dislocation was done by mounting the leaf pack at the chassis with a hinge allowing free drop.... this is something I don't like lol on the rear you will notice I have the leaf pack clamped at the chassis this limits it some

And yes the "extra" may radically improve stability and handling lol but at the moment I'll just leave the room it will need... and I'll work to get the truck up and running

Oh just a side note now that I'm not held back by the class 4 rules anyone got a T3/T04 turbo priced to sell.... I think the Commy could do with a bit more go lol

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Sorry guys, I'm gonna dig up an old thread.... but what's the story with this rig????
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Its not dead.... sort of... lol
Some of it is getting worked into another project.... lol I don't need more projects and I'm going to be building a "toy" while I'm away on work something to keep me entertained at nights
So this landy toy is going to be built elsewhere given the cost of moving it to CHCH I made the call to just buy another parts truck down there and just take the cool bits down.... end result based off what I've just picked up is going to be more than a little bit extreme lol

Here is the build/story thread
http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46390&p=459885#p459885

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”