2" lift vibrations

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

2" lift vibrations

Postby lilpigzuk » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:36 am

Morning all

Put the lifted springs in the Rangie on Sunday, sat about 60mm higher all round which is all good. More research will be done in shocks and shock mounts to get the most out of the droop available as with extending the brake lines.
Not so much a problem yet, but there is slight vibration at different speeds/loads. I didnt bother with castor correction bushes as I didnt want any more angle in the front driveshaft and Ive found that the wandering is very minimal. Did anyone do anything about it that had these symptoms?? I can live with it at the moment but Im guessing the UJ at the transfer box end of the front driveshaft will flog out quicker if left.
Ive heard of people using Series 2 Disco front driveshafts as they have the double cardon joint in them, but of course they want top dollar for them.
Anyone have any thoughts?? :D

cheers
Rex

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:18 pm

Its different for everyone. Its generally accepted that at 50mm [which your new springs should settle to] is ok on the drivetrain. But some people dont get away with even that - there are many other contributing factors like the condition of the susp bushes etc. My experience has been that the UJ's survived but the radius arm bushes at the chassis end were a 6 month to yearly replacement - depending on how hard I had been using it... Bump steer was worse but manageable. Steering was light but not unsafe. It will of course highlight any exisiting problems so you may need to start with new UJ's.

When you increase the droop substantially you will hit some more probs. Its likely that the UJ's will bind at full stretch which is where your CV shaft comes into play. This can get expensive. Scorpion do a pair of shafts for around $1200 mark which will solve the prob and there is a rumor that there is a DC hilux shaft that can be adapted to fit the front of a rangie but I have never seen one. Otherwise limiting the droop is the way to go. In a competition truck I feel you don't want too much travel - stability is a major issue particularly at speed - long compliant travel can be a problem.

For comptetition you should be thinking repair - stuff will break and you want to be able to repair it quickly. If you can keep the standard props they will be easy to replace in the field - so some compromises might be a good idea given that the Rangie requires lots of upgrading in other areas.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

lowbox
Bush Crasher

Postby lowbox » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:39 pm

Do your UJs and suspension bushes, see if the vibration goes away.
If it doesn't you will need a double cardon driveshaft, a series II disco or one from scorpion (http://www.mainlandrover.co.nz) will do the trick

pinky
Hard Yaka

Postby pinky » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:21 pm

HI ALL . i do a lot of truck chasis shortens and this can be a problem with drive shaft angle you need to get hold of a digital level and put it on the out put flange of the tranz.. and in put flange of your diff OR DIFFS these angles should be at 90 degrees to each other. if you want i can supply a formula to calculate these angles hope this helps . PS i have a lot of information on this topic so feel free to ask any questions thanks pinky.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”