"Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Re: "Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

Postby ChurchurDan » Sat May 03, 2014 2:26 pm

I had a customer at work a couple of days ago with a 97 NZ new Patrol 4.5 petrol. He paid 3k for it and spent 4k putting injected LPG on it. It will do 600ks to a $100 fill of lpg.
Servicing is every 10000ks instead of 5000ks for a diesel, it holds less oil and only has 1 filter so it cost half of what a diesel one costs to service and it is done half as often. The rego is 280 instead of 420.
As far as he is concerned he wont buy another diesel.
Petrol Patrols and landcruisers are cheap to buy :)

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat May 03, 2014 2:39 pm

kiwipete wrote:I'm concentrating my search for a suitable upgrade towards a diesel VX 24V cruiser in the 1995/8 year.

not knocking the diesel vx cruisers at all but bare in mind your buying a 20 year old truck that's been around the block fifty thousand million times with big km's on them for a highly over inflated price just because its got a badge that's says Toyota vx, you can go and pick up a brand new 2014 Toyota corolla off the lot today for $24,990 which is less than a lot of people are asking for the 20 year old high km's cruisers your looking at :?

what the joker above said has good merit, don't discount things like petrol gu patrols they are nice trucks and you can often pick the petrol ones up for a song they can make really good bang for your buck as can the petrol vx cruisers nobody seems to want the things either so its usually a buyers market :D

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat May 03, 2014 4:22 pm

What is your budget Pete? And do you care about resale?
The rangies are bloody cheap, and their resale is crap. But still a lot of truck for the money. 20 year old 24 valve cruisers are stupid money. If you are looking at that sort of coin, at least go to a 100 series.
If 4wd capability is not a massive concern, I would also be looking at M5 bwm, vw touareg, and merc 300 & 500 series. Some of these Euros have awesome specs and are bloody good value for money (like the RR).

Sorry if this farks up your existing plans...... :P :P
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat May 03, 2014 5:11 pm

rokhound wrote:What is your budget Pete? And do you care about resale?
The rangies are bloody cheap, and their resale is crap. But still a lot of truck for the money. 20 year old 24 valve cruisers are stupid money. If you are looking at that sort of coin, at least go to a 100 series.
If 4wd capability is not a massive concern, I would also be looking at M5 bwm, vw touareg, and merc 300 & 500 series. Some of these Euros have awesome specs and are bloody good value for money (like the RR).

Sorry if this farks up your existing plans...... :P :P

Nothing's farked yet :wink: , as I said I am still looking and it will be a while before I invest any coins.

Budget is still undecided but would be capped at about 30K max.
Not looking so much at resale, more comfort and power for lots of deep south and far north touring, off roading is a bonus and to be honest, something I seriously do not think I am willing to give up totally just yet.
Last edited by kiwipete on Sat May 03, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat May 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Sounds like your not ready to give up four wheeling yet if your looking a kitting out an 80 series. But I agree that the 80 series are getting past their heyday.

I'd be looking at something newer, perhaps this 11y/o defender 90 might interest you? No aircon though...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/land-rover/auction-722128170.htm

Or if you have deep(er) pockets

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/land-rover/auction-723718248.htm

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm

If you want comfort don't even think about entertaining the idea of a defender. They have their place, but a comfortable touring/towing wagon isn't it. (watch the LR nutters climd into me now!). If you want LR product at that price, look at later disco's and Rangies.
For $30K I'd be looking at the v8 euros. They even get half decent economy (well 12-15 ltrs per 100kms) which isn't bad. And then there is the noise....

The territories are worth a look in that range as well.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat May 03, 2014 6:03 pm

rokhound wrote:If you want comfort don't even think about entertaining the idea of a defender. They have their place, but a comfortable touring/towing wagon isn't it. (watch the LR nutters climd into me now!). If you want LR product at that price, look at later disco's and Rangies.
For $30K I'd be looking at the v8 euros. They even get half decent economy (well 12-15 ltrs per 100kms) which isn't bad. And then there is the noise....

The territories are worth a look in that range as well.

I think the same with the defenders too Rock, not quite the comfort I am seeking for touring.

Can anyone tell me what is required in servicing a later model Rangie? Are you able to service them or do they require a dealer service?
Ph 0212078472

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat May 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Defenders comfy enough so long as the drivers side window is permanently down.

Range Rover III Common Problems (up to 2005)
http://www.rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 pm

I dont know about the servicing, But when we fit a new battery to the late euro stuff we have to get out the scan tool and tell it it has a new battery or they wont charge properly.

I did a trademe search for a RV/SUV between 25-30k, The world is your oyster in that price range.
I think you need to go out take some for test drives and buy what YOU like.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat May 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah thought you might want something with a bit more comfort but I though a late model defender would be on par with a VX.

If your serious about the VX I would also look into a patrol

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-723912745.htm

A mate has the 4.2TD and loves it

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sat May 03, 2014 7:46 pm

If you want something with comfort and off road ability how about this lockers all round

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-724938187.htm

this has the 3 litre 6 cylinder M103 well known for being a strong reliable motor

you can get later model ML mercs for peanuts too as another option get them with anything from a 2.7 litre turbo diesel to a 4.3 litre V8 or 5 litre if you want
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Leithfield
Hard Yaka

Postby Leithfield » Sat May 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I faced a similar conundrum to Pete last year and am gratified that after careful consideration I went with a 24v VX Landcruiser. There are some VERY good buys to be had if one does their homework and is patient and, after a few simple mods and tuning, the return on and offroad is remarkable.

I have never had a moment of regret and had I allowed myself to be dissuaded by such 'wisdom' as they are too old, which initially I ignorantly acceded to, I fear I may have had.

There is a damn good reason why the VX Landcruisers hold their value so well, and it is because they are proven. I look forward to seeing the European marques with 200 thousand km's + on the clock!

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Sat May 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Leithfield wrote:I faced a similar conundrum to Pete last year and am gratified that after careful consideration I went with a 24v VX Landcruiser. There are some VERY good buys to be had if one does their homework and is patient and, after a few simple mods and tuning, the return on and offroad is remarkable.

I have never had a moment of regret and had I allowed myself to be dissuaded by such 'wisdom' as they are too old, which initially I ignorantly acceded to, I fear I may have had.

There is a damn good reason why the VX Landcruisers hold their value so well, and it is because they are proven. I look forward to seeing the European marques with 200 thousand km's + on the clock!

/clap
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 am

I know 2 people who were die hard Nissan Safari owners who now drive 80 series Cruisers and would never go back to a Nissan.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun May 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Leithfield wrote:I faced a similar conundrum to Pete last year and am gratified that after careful consideration I went with a 24v VX Landcruiser. There are some VERY good buys to be had if one does their homework and is patient and, after a few simple mods and tuning, the return on and offroad is remarkable.

I wouldn't buy anything else, but my 22 year old cruiser is now at 275000 and I have had to spend about 4K on maintenance since I purchased it, to list some:

* New Brake Discs, Pot's & Seals
* Refurbished the front end, flange to flange (all bearings, seals etc)
* 3 new Seat Belts
* New Handbrake cable, springs, shoes etc

Tis what you get with an old truck, but at least I know it will keep going :-) Oh and it already had a reconditioned engine...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm

30k hmmm

last of the rodeo's with a SAS conversion and a LS1 in it could be done and certed. there is a double cab 4x4 version for sale in our local rag for 13K. been sold as a holden, there are piles of ARB OME stuff for it anywhere.

12-15 litres per 100 kms easy. lazy thing wouldn't even hit 1200 rpm in top gear with 33's on it.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun May 04, 2014 10:38 pm

wjw wrote:* Refurbished the front end, flange to flange (all bearings, seals etc)

All the FZJ80 pros I've ever talked to recommend this.

They say one of the the first preventative maintenance things you should do if buying this particular offroad vehicle is (at the very least) a full rebuild of the front differential (bearings, seals, solid spacer instead of crush sleeve). Many choose to upgrade the 8" carrier to an ARB.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sun May 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Does it have to be a wagon pete?

Have you looked at nissan stx? Or 06-10 ford rangers, the stx mainly as they have a fair amount of room in back seat, good towing power, reliable power train, yes wee bit low but set of new tyres with bigger profile will give you bit more ground clerance. Can pick up tidy ones for 25-35 k

Canaopy on back keeps everything in the back not coming over seat hitting passangers... Plus heaps of room for chillys and beer for them fishing trips

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am

If you were looking at the double cab ute option, I can get you a 2013 top range bounty with leather blah blah 4wd in black with 60 000 odd kms on it for $38 000. That's what was offered as the trade price on a new one. it doesn't have a shed on the back though.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 306697.htm
hows this? probably get it for thirty even with some negotiation
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu May 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Just to bring this post back to life, I am now officially on the lookout for a good 24valve 80 series VX LTD cruiser. :D

My budget has been somewhat clipped and it now has to be under $20K as I have had some other expenses crop up :oops: .

So if anyone hears of one going that is not beaten up nor has a million k's on the clock.............

I have a couple earmarked to look at, but waiting for funds to clear first. :?
Ph 0212078472

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 pm

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 pm

catalystracing wrote:Is this the kinda thing your looking at :?:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-728923230.htm

Erm, no. I shoulda said I am after a Diesel model :oops:

I have been trawling tardeme too thanks.

edit, what happened to Dieselboys post?
Ph 0212078472

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 am

So if anyone hears of one going that is not beaten up nor has a million k's on the clock.............

That rules out most of them unfortunately............

If I had 20K to spend there is no way I would be looking at anything that old. Just being ageist lol

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”