"Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

"Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi there fellow Range Rover fanatics ;-)

I am thinking out loud here and wanting to hear of your input on what to look for and what to avoid.

I am thinking of replacing my current truck for a Rangie to tow our 6.8M 1750Kg (fully loaded) caravan.

Now, while I haven't done a lot of homework yet, I was thinking of a 2000-2005 year model (or later if the price is right)? Petrol V8.

I recon they shouldn't be any thirstier to drive than my diesel, if I drive appropriately, insert light footed, and I will save heaps without paying a hefty rego fee each year and RUC's.

I realise I will not really have an "off road" truck with this model as such and this is a sacrifice I am willing to make. Just as long as I can still drive shingle roads to rivers and lakes etc, that'll do me nicely.
There is a lovely NZ new 2008 supercharged one near me but the price is a little outside my budget at 40K (yet to talk to the bank manager :shock: )

Anyway I will shut up for a bit and open the floor to your suggestions/thoughts/ideas.
Last edited by kiwipete on Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Re: "Looking" at a Rangie for towing the caravan

Postby Marco Polo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:57 pm

kiwipete wrote:
I recon they shouldn't be any thirstier to drive than my diesel, if I drive appropriately, insert light footed, and I will save heaps without paying a hefty rego fee each year and RUC's.

I have done the sums numerous times, and I don't believe any petrol powered vehicle in the two ton plus range will ever be cheaper to run than its diesel equivalent. The difference in rego is only $140 per year (one tank of petrol). I have run both petrol and diesel utes and SUVs and in my experience the fuel consumption increase while towing has always been significantly more with the petrol vehicle.
I haven't had a petrol 4x4 for years now, and every time the raise the RUCs etc it makes me angry and I do the sums again but diesel still wins every time.

As for this model Rangie, I believe this model is the one prone to chewing out the front diff pinion bearings due to the lack of any uj or CV joint in the front driveshaft. Search a land rover site, there will be heaps of info. It has been a while since I researched it, I too was once keen on one of these!
How hard can it be?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Pimpin'!

Do it Pete!

The only major recall I have heard of is also the same, no flexible coupling where front d/s enters front differential... ouch!

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 pm

kiwipete wrote:I recon they shouldn't be any thirstier to drive than my diesel, if I drive appropriately, insert light footed, and I will save heaps without paying a hefty rego fee each year and RUC's.

Shit how much diesel does your truck drink :D

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm

derk wrote:
kiwipete wrote:I recon they shouldn't be any thirstier to drive than my diesel, if I drive appropriately, insert light footed, and I will save heaps without paying a hefty rego fee each year and RUC's.

Shit how much diesel does your truck drink :D

I get a tad over 100k to the quater :oops:
Ph 0212078472

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Sounds like a bloody stupid idea not having some form of flexible coupling! Even if the diff is rigidly mounted, there will still be some flex when experiencing driving forces.

What were the designers thinking when they came up with that?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 pm

(giggles)

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:48 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Pimpin'!

Do it Pete!

The only major recall I have heard of is also the same, no flexible coupling where front d/s enters front differential... ouch!

Surely that could be easily fixed with an aftermarket driveshaft with a UJ in it? Just guessing.

Anyhow I think it is time for a change and if that means no more off roading, then so be it. :wink:
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I have done the sums numerous times, and I don't believe any petrol powered vehicle in the two ton plus range will ever be cheaper to run than its diesel equivalent. The difference in rego is only $140 per year (one tank of petrol). I have run both petrol and diesel utes and SUVs and in my experience the fuel consumption increase while towing has always been significantly more with the petrol vehicle.
I haven't had a petrol 4x4 for years now, and every time the raise the RUCs etc it makes me angry and I do the sums again but diesel still wins every time.

As for this model Rangie, I believe this model is the one prone to chewing out the front diff pinion bearings due to the lack of any uj or CV joint in the front driveshaft. Search a land rover site, there will be heaps of info. It has been a while since I researched it, I too was once keen on one of these!

Thanks for the input.
Ph 0212078472

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Front Differential Recall for Range Rover III (up to 2005)
http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/diffrecall.html

LR90NZ
Hard Yaka

Postby LR90NZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Up to 2002 it was the LP38 model or second generation Range Rover. This still used beam axles with air suspension and the V8 was the Rover 4.6.
From 2003 it is the LM322 model and the engine is a BMW 4.4 V8.
Its a large vehicle, with a 100 litre fuel tank, but once you drive one you will fall in love with it.

I have with mine and with motorway/highway cruising I can average 11-11.5 litres per 100kms' Around town it is higher of course can get up to 16-18 litres as an average. Generally I have my average at around13.5 litres per 100kms. I have been using HFT additive in mine with good results.
http://nz4wd.co.nz/articles/saving-fuel
http://nz4wd.co.nz/articles/long-way-home

As for the coupling recall most of them will have had this done by now, certainly all the NZ new ones. It will be the import ones that you can't really get accurate service history for.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 pm

LR90NZ wrote:Up to 2002 it was the LP38 model or second generation Range Rover. This still used beam axles with air suspension and the V8 was the Rover 4.6.
From 2003 it is the LM322 model and the engine is a BMW 4.4 V8.
Its a large vehicle, with a 100 litre fuel tank, but once you drive one you will fall in love with it.

I have with mine and with motorway/highway cruising I can average 11-11.5 litres per 100kms' Around town it is higher of course can get up to 16-18 litres as an average. Generally I have my average at around13.5 litres per 100kms. I have been using HFT additive in mine with good results.
http://nz4wd.co.nz/articles/saving-fuel
http://nz4wd.co.nz/articles/long-way-home

As for the coupling recall most of them will have had this done by now, certainly all the NZ new ones. It will be the import ones that you can't really get accurate service history for.

Thanks for the reply, just the sort of input I am looking for. Yes I am thinking along the lines of the NZ new models, no imports.
Ph 0212078472

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 pm

are you looking at it as a DD or just a secondary vehicle mate?

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 pm

you just spent all that money on ya qd32 conversion, did it not work out how ya wanted ? or newer truck better for change in life style ?

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 pm

passengerpete wrote:you just spent all that money on ya qd32 conversion, did it not work out how ya wanted ? or newer truck better for change in life style ?

More a change in lifestyle and newer truck, the QD works very well indeed.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm

derk wrote:are you looking at it as a DD or just a secondary vehicle mate?

It will most likely be a daily driver.
Ph 0212078472

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:13 pm

kiwipete wrote:It will most likely be a daily driver.

its always a shock :shock: going from the fuel bill of a diesel to a petrol v8 so give some serious thought to crunching the numbers of how much extra $$$ your going to be tipping into the tank every payday for the rest of your life :D

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:12 pm

I have a customer with an 05 4.4 v8. So far it has been reliable other than an alternator which is water cooled and built into the front of the engine, That cost him about $1600 to replace. His fuel consumption is about 850k's to 100 litres of fuel. He wont tell me how much it uses towing the horse float.
The P38 are a real dog I would not buy one of those. We had another customer who bought a 1998 back in 2002-03 for 50k he spent 27k in 3 years keeping it going.

Why not buy a V6 Prado or Terrano?

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

ChurchurDan wrote: He wont tell me how much it uses towing the horse float.

I suspect the RR would be in the region of 20l/100km towing your caravan

I did this changing from a 1992 2.4l diesel hilux to a Subaru 1.8l petrol brumby.

Brumby uses 9l/100km 96octane = $20.3

Hilux used 7.5l/100km diesel = $11.25 + $5.3/100km RUC = $16.55

So for every 100km travelled the brumby is $3.75 more expensive.

I do about 10,000km/yr so that's an extra $375 in fuel costs.

The Brumby is $141/yr cheaper to register

So I'm about $234/yr or so out of pocket, but I like driving the brumby more than the hilux so that's all good.

I ignored servicing because the Brumby is going against the trend and costing a little more to maintain at the moment because the C.V's are due.

I suspect the RR would cost more to service than your Nissan.

Work out how much extra it would cost ya and see if its worth the change.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Cheers for all the input fellas, it is appreciated.

I am not necessarily looking at replacing the Terrano for another "off road" truck so for me the V6 Prado or Terrano are out of the question, just something more comfy for touring and towing with the capability of some shingle roads etc when needed.
Ph 0212078472

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Commodore or Falcon?
Cheap, disposable and surprisingly cheap to run.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:40 pm

dare i say it Pajero
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Diesel will defiantly be cheaper to run, especially if you can get a common rail one. Our Pajero saves us $1000 every 10000km travelled, that includes RUC and Rego but not servicing.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:48 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 239076.htm
might need a bit of consultation with the bank manager but why not one of these,
diesel v6 leather
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Ive a direct comparison between my dad's l322 rangie (bmw motor) and my 80 series landcruiser. Both average around 13l/100km. Taking into account registration and RUC, if you're doing 20,000km a year, it costs (at current fuel prices) $620 more to run the Range Rover not taking into account servicing costs (range rover every 10000km, cruiser every 5000km).

May cost a tiny bit more to own the rangie but value for money you cannot beat them. I know I'd much rather be cruising around in the rangie anyway.

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:09 pm

I had an 06 Disco3. It was amazingly capable all round. If I could I would buy another tomorrow.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:13 pm

slidenyo wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/land-rover/auction-711239076.htm
might need a bit of consultation with the bank manager but why not one of these,
diesel v6 leather

I have been looking at these too on Trademe, thanks. Might be a goer if I find a 1/2 decent one at the right price :wink: Early days yet.
Ph 0212078472

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 pm

I cant offer any advice on the subject but I bet the first time you start up a bent8 the smile will be there and it will be everytime .

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Re: "Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

Postby kiwipete » Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Ok peoples, after much consideration and some very good advise I am now broadening my horizons and taking on a different tactic.

I'm concentrating my search for a suitable upgrade towards a diesel VX 24V cruiser in the 1995/8 year.

It's still early days yet, but I want to do my homework on them first before I commit myself.

I think I would probably prefer to buy a bog standard one and modify it to suit my needs rather than buying one already kitted out.

Thanks for all the above advise and suggestions.
Ph 0212078472

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Re: "Looking" at a Rangie/VX Cruiser for towing the caravan

Postby fullthrottle » Sat May 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey Pete

I tow our caravan around with a 2002 FORD Territory, (petrol, non-turbo) nice to drive, cheap for parts, tows anything with plenty of power and last trip from Wellington to Rotorua and back averaged 17L/100km, which wasn't bad, since I drive with a heaver foot and like a laugh when I drag off other vehicles up hills towing a 1972 brick.

Have heard the turbo ones are more economical, not sure about the diesels.
They are fairly cheap too.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”