What do you guys think? Looking for a Diesel Disco

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

What do you guys think? Looking for a Diesel Disco

Postby Wild_South » Fri May 16, 2014 9:42 am

Hi all,

Always had Toyota's but looking for something different - and a disco it is. What do you guys think about this? Are they good trucks? I have no idea about these sorry!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 736484.htm

Cheers
Scott
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Re: What do you guys think? Looking for a Diesel Disco

Postby DieselBoy » Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Hell yes!!!!!

Looks like a mint one, and the 200Tdi is a good motor. They don't tend to suffer cylinder head issues like other motors with alloy heads :D :D

That motor should be good for another 200,000 if looked after. :twisted: :twisted:

Possible items that might need attention in the next 100,000ks might be the big end bearings, turbo rebuild and cam belt.

Look for rust around the top of the fire wall and the fire wall in general, also around the alpine windows.

www.landroverspares.co.nz will have everything you need to keep it running mint :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri May 16, 2014 1:26 pm

LT77 transmission - ask for receipts for the gearbox rebuild. They have a chronic mainshaft wear problem.

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Fri May 16, 2014 1:40 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Hell yes!!!!!

Looks like a mint one, and the 200Tdi is a good motor. They don't tend to suffer cylinder head issues like other motors with alloy heads :D :D

That motor should be good for another 200,000 if looked after. :twisted: :twisted:

Possible items that might need attention in the next 100,000ks might be the big end bearings, turbo rebuild and cam belt.

Look for rust around the top of the fire wall and the fire wall in general, also around the alpine windows.

http://www.landroverspares.co.nz will have everything you need to keep it running mint :D :D

Looks well cared for.
Agree with all items above + look under all floors @ rear especially + around all the Door Pillar frames & the rear of the chassis behind the bumper connections.
Keep up all the servicing religiously.

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Just called them to have a chat (I know, car salesmen are car salesmen..) but they did seem to genuinely believe the vehicle is immaculate and well looked after by a gentleman in the Land Rover Club up there.

I asked about rust etc and they said it had absolutely none and it had been checked.

This vehicle would be to replace my current one - it's a 1993 Surf 1KZ. It's a good truck but VERY thirsty I have found. This disco would be my daily driver - would it be a good option?

Scott
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Wild_South wrote:Just called them to have a chat (I know, car salesmen are car salesmen..) but they did seem to genuinely believe the vehicle is immaculate and well looked after by a gentleman in the Land Rover Club up there.

I asked about rust etc and they said it had absolutely none and it had been checked.

This vehicle would be to replace my current one - it's a 1993 Surf 1KZ. It's a good truck but VERY thirsty I have found. This disco would be my daily driver - would it be a good option?

Scott

What do you call thirsty? Your Surf should be doing around 10-12l/100km, if it's a lot higher then there is probably something wrong with it.

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Fri May 16, 2014 3:23 pm

smurf182 wrote:
Wild_South wrote:Just called them to have a chat (I know, car salesmen are car salesmen..) but they did seem to genuinely believe the vehicle is immaculate and well looked after by a gentleman in the Land Rover Club up there.

Scott

What do you call thirsty? Your Surf should be doing around 10-12l/100km, if it's a lot higher then there is probably something wrong with it.

Hey mate, yeah my 1KZ Surf, running 33" Coopers is getting about 350km to a tank....

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Wild_South wrote:Hi all,

Always had Toyota's but looking for something different - and a disco it is. What do you guys think about this? Are they good trucks? I have no idea about these sorry!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 736484.htm

Cheers
Scott

The 200tdi manual is a good and sort after model. Not as refined as the 300tdi models but still a very good solid vehicle. Just have to remember they are now 20 years old.
They don't come up for sale that often and when they do they tend to be snatched up quickly.
Gearbox output shaft main problem with them as they wear on the splines. If gearbox rebuilt then hopefully they added the fix with cross drilled input gear at same time.
Should easily get 600-800 kms from a tank of diesel.
Asking price is a little high in my opinion but then it is on a dealers yard with a few extras fitted.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri May 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Arguably the most efficient small diesel of its time.

When you consider that its full time 4x4 and quite a heavy vehicle, its astonishing the kind of economy people get of out them. It will be noisier than the Toyota being direct injection, the trade off is combustion efficiency.

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Yeah they sound like good wagons.

I just spoke to a gentleman at the Land Rover Club in Auckland who knows the vehicle and said it is very sound has only had one NZ Owner. That's good, surely!?

What are these like parts-wise? Are there an abundance of parts like the Surfs?

Cheers

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Heaps and heaps of parts , and well priced. Loads of wrecked V8 models for running gear and panels etc.

Way cheaper than Toyota and Nissan parts. The price difference in aftermarket parts between Jap and L.R is incredible!!

www.landroverspares.co.nz is where everyone goes for their parts. Email him what ya want and it shows up the next day, if not that afternoon of the same day!!!
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Wild_South wrote:
smurf182 wrote:

Scott

Hey mate, yeah my 1KZ Surf, running 33" Coopers is getting about 350km to a tank....

ouch :?
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I was really surprised with my Landy,iv had cruisers,surfs all sorts of diesels and will afew mods they go really well.Bang for buck can't go wrong,was a toyota nut but these motors seem to run on the smell of an oily rag.Buy it haha
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Mon May 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Take the $800 bull bar off and the $180 snorkel off and ur left with a $7000 Disco 20 years old? That is way way too much money. The sales people rely on manual being a big seller combined with a very good engine and ask top dollar. Like other members have said, the box wears like buggery. Its very clean and looks great and I LOVE Discos, granted, BUT the price is way too high.
I have an auto 93 TD200, rough but then it gets used for off roading and not a tarmac special and I paid $1500 with a snapped cambelt and bent pushrods. Only one day in the first week end of having got it up and running and included changing all diff and box fluids. Does 800km open road, AC pumps like a freezer, all up with new MT, custom made winch bar, used winch, 2" lift with shocks, CB radio, bigger intercooler and pump tweeked cost me $4300.

Keep looking.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue May 20, 2014 5:32 am

Disco Gofer wrote:auto 93 TD200, all up with new MT, custom made winch bar, used winch, 2" lift with shocks, CB radio, bigger intercooler and pump tweeked cost me $4300.

Sweet.

You should put muddyplumbers ARB locker in the stern for added weapon-factor.

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 am

Mine came with an ARB bar about 5 years ago, I ditched it and put a custom bar on it. The ARB stuck out the front too much.

Mine is 300TDi and had no major problems with it. It has been a good project starting out with OME 2" lift but that has now been ditched for Terrafirma and Extreme 4x4 stuff.

If you want a Land Rover to aspire to take a look at the two Turkish TD5 Twins. If I ever have the $$$'s I would build one closer to that than what I have. Just search youtube for OFF-ROAD TÜRKİYE or selim ustaoglu. They even have a Toyota with all Land Rover running gear in it.

The specs on those are:
1: ''DZG''...2003
ashcroft axles and 4.11 ring & pinion, diff pegging, custom ecu, K&N air filter, eaton lockers no-spin/arb, britpart performance exhaust, warn 9500ti,37/13/16 super swamper bogger, 10/16'' rims, safari snorkel, 8'' custom lift kit with terrafirma mega shocks and bumpers, 5cm spacer, custom ram assist, 200+hp & 450+nm

2: ''JIF''...2000
ashcroft axles and 4.75 ring & pinion, diff pegging, custom ecu, K&N air filter, huge intercooler, eaton locker no-spin/arb, britpart performance exhaust, warn 16.500ti/tabor 12000, safari snorkel, 37/13/16 superswamper bogger, 10/16'' rims, 8''custom lift kit with terrafirma mega shocks and bumpers, 5cm spacer,omp seats, custom ram assist, 200+hp & 450+nm
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Tue May 20, 2014 12:24 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
Disco Gofer wrote:auto 93 TD200, all up with new MT, custom made winch bar, used winch, 2" lift with shocks, CB radio, bigger intercooler and pump tweeked cost me $4300.

Sweet.

You should put muddyplumbers ARB locker in the stern for added weapon-factor.

Yer, locker would be nice one day......gotta keep saving.

Billion__
Stropper

Postby Billion__ » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi i have a 1994 200tdi discovery it goes good, it has a snorkel, diff breathers, oldman emu shocks and bf goodrich mud terrains! i also like to mention i love watching Snafu videos on youtube 8)

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Still in the market for one guys! Hunting actively for one now.

In general, are the 200TDi's slightly more reliable than the 300TDi's because of less electrics etc?

I have been offered this, and was wondering what you guys think it's market value is?

Discovery 200TDi 3dr
- Manual 200ks
- 33' Maxxis Bighorns
- Front and rear ARB air lockers with 24 spline axles and CV's
- Winch
- Custom front, rear and side bars
- Snorkel
- 1inch body lift
- 2inch spring lift
- Cut guards with flares
- Spot lights
- Boost and pump tuned for more power
- Rear drawers/bed

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Don't know but if you don't buy it I will !!!!!!
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”