Land Rover long term hold.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Land Rover long term hold.

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi Land Rover people. My Land rover 110 HCP (with Nissan LD28 diesel) succumbed to chassis rust, and was sold for parts last year. I replaced it with a Toyota Surf, which is proving very practical, but I can't help thinking I would like to buy another Landy in the next couple of years, as a long term keeper. I have looked at a series 2A SWB (diesel transplant), considered several v8 series 3s and 110s, but i just don't like the v8 motor.
I like the 90s, but the LWB models gives great stability off road. And the 90s aren't cheap either. Though something like this, with Lockers, I find very appealing
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 710954.htm
If i was looking to buy a landy that would appreciate in value over time, does an engine transplant count against a Land rover, from an enthuiast's viewpoint?
Sould i spend $4-6000 buying a near original early 1970s machine(and parking it away), or spend more on a nice 110 (diesel) and drive it more and enjoy it? Decisions,decisions.
I looked at importing a Landy Defender LWB from UK, but the importer suggested that i shouldn't touch anything older than about 5 years old, due to the amount of salt they use on the roads in winter. It was good advice, but not what i wanted to hear.
Perhaps common sense will prevail, when i recall how much i used to spend on fixing brakes on my two previous Land rovers!
any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Re: Land Rover long term hold.

Postby muddymatt1973 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:46 am

I looked at importing a Landy Defender LWB from UK, but the importer suggested that i shouldn't touch anything older than about 5 years old, due to the amount of salt they use on the roads in winter. It was good advice, but not what i wanted to hear.

I lived in the UK for many years and there are lots of Landys over 5 years old on the original chassis!
Did your importer think that it would be a problem getting one past import checks?

Having owned almost all of the LR range at some point including v8 90's and 110's and series stuff, the 70's series are a appreciating classic but I would always go for a 110 as you have a much better chance of stopping and going round corners.....

As to the aftermarket motors, I agree. Seeing a LD28 spoils it for me :oops:
The Tdi is a great motor. 200 or 300.

I would go for a 110 in 200 Tdi form. 3 dr panel and then unbolt roof for summer fun.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 pm

thanks for your input.
So i really should buy two landies.
A series 2a or 3 SWB as an appreciating classic, and a 110 diesel, to which i can fit diff locks, bullbar, rock sliders, roll bar,and keep forever:)
As for unbolting the roof for summer fun, you don't need to unbolt anything in a Land Rover to feel the wind in your hair! Ha ha ha

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:Hi Land Rover people. My Land rover 110 HCP (with Nissan LD28 diesel) succumbed to chassis rust, and was sold for parts last year. I replaced it with a Toyota Surf, which is proving very practical, but I can't help thinking I would like to buy another Landy in the next couple of years, as a long term keeper. I have looked at a series 2A SWB (diesel transplant), considered several v8 series 3s and 110s, but i just don't like the v8 motor.
I like the 90s, but the LWB models gives great stability off road. And the 90s aren't cheap either. Though something like this, with Lockers, I find very appealing
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 710954.htm
If i was looking to buy a landy that would appreciate in value over time, does an engine transplant count against a Land rover, from an enthuiast's viewpoint?
Sould i spend $4-6000 buying a near original early 1970s machine(and parking it away), or spend more on a nice 110 (diesel) and drive it more and enjoy it? Decisions,decisions.
Perhaps common sense will prevail, when i recall how much i used to spend on fixing brakes on my two previous Land rovers!
any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

the first of the 90/110 Land Rovers are now 30 years old and a good one is certainly classic or soon will be. The Defenders are now 24 years old and with the end of production looming in December 2015, they are fast becoming very sort after.
Just look at your example above ........... from 11,000 to 17,000 in a little over 6 minutes.

A 200tdi or 300tdi will certainly be the better vehicle and these engines are considered the best ever built by Land Rover. They are sort after and a good one will demand high prices in the future.
Did you see that 200tdi Discovery on Trade Me the other day?? Sold in a little over 24 hours for the buy now price of $12,000.

Don't bother with the Nissan diesel engine ones, they aren't original and of little value compared to 200 or 300 tdi's. Therefore it does counts against it.

As for importing, its a big risk. You need to ensure it is over 20 years old (I think) otherwise it has to meet emissions standards at time of build with factory. Even some of the new 2007 onward puma engine Defenders don't meet requirements if they are built for third world country's and thus have a different 'tune' and lack cat's at build. Even trying to fit afterwards doesn't help as it goes on the actual built certificate from manufacturer.

The other factor is no matter how good the chassis is in UK, they clean the vehicles then shove into container and seal then up for two months for more. During shipment they tend to sweat and come out other end very rusty looking and expose any weaknesses.

Timmy511
Hard Yaka

Postby Timmy511 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 pm

just import a 200tdi 90 thats been rebuilt on a galv chassis would be my advice, rust wont be an issue.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”