introducing elvis

uwish
Bush Crasher

introducing elvis

Postby uwish » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Have had this landy for a few months now it was too good to pass up, it's a series 2 factory safari swb in very good cond, now it's had a few extras that were done a few years agos, it has a 3.5 v8 and five speed out of a 110 defender so it is full time 4wd now, also has had the front changed to the defender one as well as a one piece windscreen(I would have preferred the original one but it is what it is), also has some cool custom wheels that are now 15" and fat.
P7200536 r.JPG

I have a few questions for land rover gurus
What 5 speed box did the 110 have?
I'm also told the front diff was put in out of defender? I'm assuming just the head and maybe axles and flanges as its still leaf sprung?
What spline would these be?

Now for next questions:
The diffs are a bit slogged out as the guy that built it used it for towing heavy loads, so I was thinking about buying a disco and putting the 3.9 in and also the diff heads and disc brakes on front? (transferring the disco bits into my axle housings) now from some reading on the net, I understand apart from the splines being different the axles are wider as well?
P7200537r.JPG

So for the front axle could I take my series housing and bolt on from the swivel balls the disco hubs and bolt diff head in then just need some shorter axels?

And for rear axle(keeping drums) just bolt head in and change drive flanges to fine spline and then just need shorter axles?

uwish
Bush Crasher

Re: introducing elvis

Postby uwish » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:05 pm

IMG_0366r2.JPG
IMG_0368r1.jpg
some more pix for the series lovers

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 pm

So for the front axle could I take my series housing and bolt on from the swivel balls the disco hubs and bolt diff head in then just need some shorter axels?

Simple answer No, the tie rod wants to be in the same space as the leaf spring , you can push the axle up on bigger spring perches from what I've been told it takes an inch and a half of drop there are also some issues with fitment of the balls the coil/disk ball/swivels are longer and have a different bolt pattern

I find it a bit odd that the defender diff was put in just the front as its another ratio(think its a 3.9 ratio), possibly whats been put in front and rear are Range Rover Classic diffs 3.5 ratio (I think) these would be better suited to the tall running from the LT230 transfer case and share the older 10 spline drive shaft so no need for expensive custom shafts
Standard landy diffs are 4.7 ratio

As far as gearbox with the motor swop if it is 5 speed its either the LT77 or the R380

Nice truck shame about the defender front....

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:46 pm

looks real tidy for its age. Good on you.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:24 am

uwish wrote:Have had this landy for a few months now it was too good to pass up, it's a series 2 factory safari swb in very good cond, now it's had a few extras that were done a few years agos, it has a 3.5 v8 and five speed out of a 110 defender so it is full time 4wd now, also has had the front changed to the defender one as well as a one piece windscreen(I would have preferred the original one but it is what it is), also has some cool custom wheels that are now 15" and fat.
P7200536 r.JPG

I have a few questions for land rover gurus
What 5 speed box did the 110 have?
I'm also told the front diff was put in out of defender? I'm assuming just the head and maybe axles and flanges as its still leaf sprung?
What spline would these be?

Now for next questions:
The diffs are a bit slogged out as the guy that built it used it for towing heavy loads, so I was thinking about buying a disco and putting the 3.9 in and also the diff heads and disc brakes on front? (transferring the disco bits into my axle housings) now from some reading on the net, I understand apart from the splines being different the axles are wider as well?
P7200537r.JPG

And for rear axle(keeping drums) just bolt head in and change drive flanges to fine spline and then just need shorter axles?

Nice looking Rover.
If engine and gearbox came out of a 110 then if early model will be LT85 (Santana) or if later then possibly R380. I would suspect its a LT85 with reverse across to left and up.

The photo of the front diff housing appears to be original Series hubs and track rod is in front of diff again a series LR set up.

My guess is because of the V8 it is the diff heads only that have been changed. They are a straight swap over and will be coarse or 10 spline for axles. Later Discovery & 90/110 items are fine or 24 spline.
Early Range Rover 1970 to 1991 (approx.) and Discovery from 1989 to early 1993 diff heads are also coarse spline and are ideal replacements.

The Discovery swivel & hubs will not bolt onto the Series housing.

uwish
Bush Crasher

Postby uwish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:29 pm

ok cheers for help id say its a lt85 gearbox as its from a 110 not a defender because I found out defenders only came out from 1991, I might just look round for some good cond 10spline diffs then,
the gearbox sounds ok but could use new snycro's on a couple of gears are they hard to do?
might just have to stick with the drum brakes for now they work fine but just are not flash after water, may look at a disc conversion kit anyone done one? what im worried about is that because it will come from overseas supplier ,parts like pads,rotors,caliper kits will be hard to come by at your local autoparts store?

also has anyone done a power steering conversion on a series landrover, how did you do yours?

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”