Transfer box won't seem to go into High?

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Transfer box won't seem to go into High?

Postby muddyplumber » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:55 pm

So took my Landy on its first trip over the weekend. I know very little about landrover running gear...when I first got it the transfer was in high, then at some stage I have put the box in neutral then done body lift etc.
What I cant seem to do now is put it back in high, it will go into low, diff lock low and high.
Am I doing something wrong? Or would doing the body lift have change something?
I have cut all the plastic surrounding the gear sticks etc but just can't seem to find HIGH...dam it :evil:
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: Transfer box won't seem to go into High?

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Truck looks cool 8)

Have you tried engaging high range with the truck rolling really slow? ie put it in 1st low diff lock off idling at about 3km/hr, then put main gearbox back into neutral, then shift the transfer lever...

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

If it goes into high diff lock then it's just a matter of pulling the stick straight across and out of diff lock.
Hard to describe but there are no gate on the selector like a normal gearbox ie you don't have to follow the H pattern like you would expect. You can move the stick left and right (diff lock on/off) at any time on the fly etc without going throug N.
The forwards and backwards (hi low) and left right (diff lock on off) movements operate two seperate linkages to two different parts of the box.

Andy

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Cheers man, na I haven't tried doing that.will give it a go

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:46 pm

muddyplumber wrote:So took my Landy on its first trip over the weekend. I know very little about landrover running gear...when I first got it the transfer was in high, then at some stage I have put the box in neutral then done body lift etc.
What I cant seem to do now is put it back in high, it will go into low, diff lock low and high.
Am I doing something wrong? Or would doing the body lift have change something?
I have cut all the plastic surrounding the gear sticks etc but just can't seem to find HIGH...dam it :evil:

With body lift there is possibility that it is hitting on the body/gearbox tunnel. Usually there isn't a problem with body lift, only lever is too short to be real effective for use.

There was something in a recent NZ4WD magazine where the lever had seized solid. Maybe that is also your problem.

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Ok that's good to know I didn't realise I could move it across while driving will give it a go.Hope it's fairly straight forward issue to solve.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”