Series 3 offroader

Hughyt
Stropper

Series 3 offroader

Postby Hughyt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and have a rough series 3 109 that I am slowly building up.
I am looking for any offroad parts for the series 3 (air lockers, winch bar, truetrac)
Am about to order the ashcroft high ratio gear kit aswell (running 186) have a spare transfer case ready to machine, has anyone had any experience with these?
My flatmate has a terrano and im desperate to get the series 3 as capable if not more :lol:

Cheers Hugo

mike
Last minute Mike

Re: Series 3 offroader

Postby mike » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about how capable it is, as the terrano will never be in it's whole life, half as cool as a series 3 8)
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 am

As Mike has said, the Series 3 is more capable than the Terrano will ever be.
Re the high ratio gears, why not just fit 3.5 diff heads from an early Range Rover or Series 3 V8 (Stage 1)?
I would think the benefits will be roughly the same with less expense.
We used to use 3.9 Rover car diffs when the Landy's were repowered with Holden 6's.

Hughyt
Stropper

Postby Hughyt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Awesome, Cheers Guys.
I just like the idea of the high range gears not effecting low range or the handbrake and being a little bit differant.
I can get the machining done free by my flatmate so only expense would be the gears themselves.

Series 3 getting its first test in the mud this weekend, cant wait! :)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Ralfie wrote: the Series 3 is more capable than the Terrano will ever be.

Why of course. Its a Land Rover, the most capable vehicle in the world, the best vehicle ever made, EVER.
And in other news, they're giving out free HJs at the Wellington Public Library this afternoon, between 3 and 5pm. First in first served.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:38 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
Ralfie wrote: the Series 3 is more capable than the Terrano will ever be.

Why of course. Its a Land Rover, the most capable vehicle in the world, the best vehicle ever made, EVER.
And in other news, they're giving out free HJs at the Wellington Public Library this afternoon, between 3 and 5pm. First in first served.

and here we go again , same old broken record starts up again.
just let it lye , each to their own .
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

noexitroad
Hard Yaka

Postby noexitroad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:36 pm

and landrover owners are friendly so wave to each other :)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Sorry been offline, was just down at the public library, and had to have a nap afterwards.

I have no doubt the 109 is more capable.

You're on the right track with not wanting to change out the diff gears, since you are trying to enhance its capabilities offroad, gearing up is the last thing you would do. IMO Gearing selection and traction are the two biggest priorities on an offroad vehicle (in that order)

Timmy511
Hard Yaka

Postby Timmy511 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm

seeing as its a seried 3 lwb id:

go for ashcroft high ratio gear set, not a set of diffs as youll loose the sailsbury in the rear, unless you could find a 110 ring and pinion but then you have to rebuld the diff and thats a pain in the arse.

id then get a 4 pin diff center for the front (pm me if you want more info on this), this will stop you blowing up diff heads, you could also peg the diff while your building it.

put the rear shocks up front, get plus 2" shocks in the rear, extend the shackls to the same as military ones, also extend you brake hoses. remove some leaves from the rear springs as lwb ones are really firm, ive never done it but id keep taking the small leaves out untill it starts to sag under its own weight, then put one back in. this will make it flex alot better.

then chuck some 235/85/16 tyres on it and youll be good to go.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”