Throttle Position Sensor!

dadij001
Stropper

Throttle Position Sensor!

Postby dadij001 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi there, just replaced the TPS-(Britpart ex UK) as well as the stepper motor in the '91 RRC 3.9. It was running bloody beautifully, just came back from doing 360ks around the Sth Wairarapa without a problem. Went to shift it today and bang wouldn't idle, checked fault codes and WTF code 17 throttle pot fault! so back into limp home mode??!!! To say the least I'm a bit miffed and f@#ked off. Any ideas, things to look at or does someone have a known good TPS? Any suggestions would be appriciated thanks.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Throttle Position Sensor!

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:56 pm

erm, only idea i have would be to try a different brand of TPS, even though it might be from say a nissan they all do the same job, measure the position of the throttle via a resistance circuit.

they are a fairly simple affair when ya think about it two wires create a ciruit for discharging surplus voltage and the third wire(middle) is what the ecu uses to read the varying voltage or resistance.

And unlike traditional TPS if you can get your hands on a newer hall effect or inductive type the will never wear out as they are a non contact sensor, they work on a magnetic field that generates a signal for the ecu to read.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:25 pm

You answered your own question when you mentioned Britpart.. :roll:
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

shaneg
Winch master

Postby shaneg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Bosch generally do better tps sensors, they are often suppliers to the car company themselves.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”