Loose front wheel

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Loose front wheel

Postby Rangerat » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:47 am

Hi all

The beast just failed a WOF (not a surprise in itself) with excessive play in the L/H front wheel bearings.
I changed the bearings ok, but..... I still have "play" It looks like the swivel housing is loose.
Swivel housing roller bearings? worn swivel pins?
The R/H side has no play.
Yes I did drain and refill the diff and swivel housing :x

What do you reckon? right track?

Rat

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:07 pm

Surely they would have roller bearings in them, toyota use roller bearings.
But them again being British, could be a worn rear shocky making the front swivel loose. :twisted:
Follow me and I'll show you a sure fire way to make enemies 8) :D

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:57 pm

Ummmmmm
Yes as I wrote, "swivel housing ROLLER bearings" toymotors just copied land rover you know :wink:

Rat

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:31 pm

I'm guessing that the rangies are similar to the series LR ones.

I've done a few of these. Usually you can get away with replacing only the "raiko" bush on the top pin. But if they are anything like my old landrover ones then the pin is not round anymore. I machined and sleeved mine. Make sure they are the original diameter otherwise the replacement bushes are no good. The wiggle can come from worn bush/pin or the pin not correctly shimmed. The bearing is a taper roller bearing sitting in the bottom which is adjusted by shimming the pin at the top. To loose and you get wiggle, to tight and you get stiff steering. No wiggle is acceptable here.

Mike

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:29 pm

Cheers Mike

As the play is only around 2-4mm at the swivel (looks a lot more when you have 35's to lever it!!!!!!) am I correct in thinking I can reduce or get rid of the play by removing some shims from the top pin? Making sure the swivel pre-load stays in limits.
Plus - can I do this job without pulling the whole lot off the axle housing? (it looks like I can but.....)

Rat

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi Rat,

If it is shimmed incorrectly then removing some of the shims will fix it but if it is already in the swivel pre loads then removing shims will only stiffen the steering by binding between the end of the pin and pulling on the bearing with the slop still remaining between the sides of the pin and the bush. If you remove your steering arms and the swivel is relatively free then possibly removing shims will do :wink: Check the pin when you take it out for concentricity and feel the bush inside, you will feel if there is wear inside it. If the movement is in the bottom then shimming will fix it,

otherwise it's pull the shaft, drop the bottome pin, remove back seal take swivel off, bash out raiko bush with long bolt/punch, press new one in, assemble bottom bearing and shim for loading, grease back seal, drive shat etc. 1 hour job with the right sized hammers :wink:

Mike

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:30 pm

It worked, it worked!!!!!!

Pulled every thing apart after work, checked every thing, removed one shim from the top, reassembled, play gone. Swivel pre-load still in limits. Just over an hours work.

Cheers Mike, you the man!

Rat

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:38 pm

Put it down to experience, after owning two land rovers and doing the kingpins in both of them you can do it blind folded. Although I have to say I should have got a range rover straight off because my pins were almost as round as a cricket bat :shock:

Mike

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”