axle swaps

85County
Bush Crasher

Re: axle swaps

Postby 85County » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:56 pm

derk wrote:
85County wrote:how did you get on with the rear diff being a centre pumpkin?

80 series is offset mate

ok mu mistake, i thought or believed only the front is offset??

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:And if one happens to mention nissan live axles are weak again... u going to get schooled. They are no weaker then any other main stream 4wd...

iu didn't say they were weak, but the CVs are overly hard, thus if you spin one up and drop it they have a tendency to go bang.

having said that, they are about the only front diff housing you do not really have to strengthen up.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:24 pm

don't worry about that jap joker mate he tries picking internet fights with everyone, just ignore it and everything moves on :D

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

85County wrote:
lax2wlg wrote:Oh FFS 85County, hes already ditched the idea and has gone for an Isuzu Trooper with a live front axle conversion.

We get it, you are a Land Rover guy, in your head the Land Rover is the original 4wd, and anything else is a just a copy.

Of course you are welcome here, and you obviously have some valuable knowledge that others could benefit from, but please, take a chill pill, and try not to be so authoritarian.

me authoritarian?? yet your the one calling me the land-rover guy, i also have a jeep and a Jakaroo ( bighorn i think) sitting in the drive way.

have just been swapped out of the Pootoool and into a toymotor by work. i do on average 1800klm a week.

next weekend i will be camping with my son. thats a 1200 klm round trip.

i think with the miles i do and the rough country i do as well as the variety of vehicles i drive and in some cases demolish. i do have some idea of what the weak points are in each brand.

your insulting accusation of being a one eyed land rover type is at best childish.

what i have a problem with is people posting misinformation or there opinions IE my grand fathers mate's brother was told by a guy in the pub that land-rover axles are shit. etc

yet i have blown 7 Pootrool CVs for 1 LR axle and that was drivers front and about 25 years old. cruiser wheel bearings, a constant PITA.

so you can keep your opinions, and ill stick with the facts ok.

Jesus Christ you're way too highly strung.

Maybe best just to chill out and work on basic stuff like spelling, finishing sentences properly, capitalizing the first letter of a sentence, etc. Ya know, grown up stuff :wink:
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm

if you've smashed 7 cv's then it's time to change the driver, not the CV.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Smashing that many Nissan Safari/Patrol CV's may be an indicator of other problems. I also had a series of CV failures (although 3 were from Repco - and broke the stub-axle not the CV housing) - then changed the front axle housing and no problems since. That's a LWB with aftermarket turbo doing some reasonably hard driving. I think the housing was bent putting extra load on the CV's... And Cruiser wheel bearings tend to fail when water enters through improperly sealed hubs. Otherwise pretty reliable in my experience...

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:07 pm

busting cv's in patrols is nothing new hence the little mod to get toyo longfields cv's in there but I think that's gone by the way now you can get rcv cromoloys off the shelf, and the axle housing are also well known for bending a bit of gusseting and trussing on the swivel balls and main housing goes a long way to keeping everything straight :D

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:59 pm

muddy wrote:Smashing that many Nissan Safari/Patrol CV's may be an indicator of other problems. I also had a series of CV failures (although 3 were from Repco - and broke the stub-axle not the CV housing) - then changed the front axle housing and no problems since. That's a LWB with aftermarket turbo doing some reasonably hard driving. I think the housing was bent putting extra load on the CV's... And Cruiser wheel bearings tend to fail when water enters through improperly sealed hubs. Otherwise pretty reliable in my experience...

very good point.

hard to exsplane the ground here, like sharp pancake rocks that can slide out from under each other. front wheel kicks one of these out the back then hits the rock below. all happens quicker than you can think.
but you are correct about a bent housing, that can make all sorts of problems.

toymotors over here do wheel bearings, hot day say 45Deg 110 klms on wrinkly roads for say 10 hours. hence why i am a Big fan of fully floating axles.

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Jesus Christ you're way too highly strung.

Maybe best just to chill out and work on basic stuff like spelling, finishing sentences properly, capitalizing the first letter of a sentence, etc. Ya know, grown up stuff :wink:[/quote]

Na ill just leave the troll with his boy books.

so i can get on with my driving spannering and culling. you know big boy stuff

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Jesus Christ, you're way too high strung.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 pm

85County, maybe you have been in Oz to long as your posts really come across as if you are a right prick. If you want respect around here perhaps start off gently before trying to take over telling people they are overcooked. You may be well educated on the ins and out of LR products and tech info/advice is good (& some incorrect) but whatever happened to building up a repore with the other members? There are people here who know plenty about LR's as well. That's enough from me, a few observer notes.

Don't worry about Lax's comments, he just likes to stir and most people take no notice, you just took the bait well.

Anyway I was going to say if you are moving back to Southland and want to put mud on your LR's panels then look me up. You will need more than BFG A/T's though unless you like fitting chains & providing you would stoop to driving with an elderly, dull, mostly straight, rattly, IFS, petrol Pajero.

Glen
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:46 pm

NJV6 wrote:85County, maybe you have been in Oz to long as your posts really come across as if you are a right prick.

ok point taken, i do not even see that i come off that way, not my intent.

NJV6 wrote:Don't worry about Lax's comments, he just likes to stir and most people take no notice, you just took the bait well.

again point taken, he's one of those use a keyboard but wouldn't to your face types.

NJV6 wrote:Anyway I was going to say if you are moving back to Southland and want to put mud on your LR's panels then look me up. You will need more than BFG A/T's though unless you like fitting chains & providing you would stoop to driving with an elderly, dull, mostly straight, rattly, IFS, petrol Pajero.

Glen

great thanks for the offer, and i am an elderly, dull, mostly straight, rattly, IFS, diesel Jakaroo diver ( part time)

the reason for my rubber thread was to gage what tyres i should be looking at, so if ats are out, and chains are always dirty etc, what are you running?

the reason i am planing to bring the 110 back is. all my other vehicles ( i can only bring one) are dollar for dollar about the same as NZ, except the 110, they seem to be 1/2 to a 1/3 of what i have seen on gumtree. add to that its rather dry here = no rust.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 pm

NJV6 wrote:
Don't worry about Lax's comments, he just likes to stir and most people take no notice.

Glen

Well said. Can't get any closer to the truth than that ...............

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 am

Man you guys are tense. Living in Japan, you forget about all the outward aggression, as it is a very non aggressive society.

I was pretty much saying exactly what NJ said.
I also like to post interesting tech information.
Anyways, no time for arguing on the internet, need to prepare for Tokyo Motor Show press day tomorrow :D

Have a good one gents.

Timmy511
Hard Yaka

Postby Timmy511 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:02 pm

ashcroft shafts, p38 4 pin carriers machined to suit the standard rover diff casing, early 110 large cvs, 200 tdi, auto box, 1.6 tf case, 33" tyres.

thats the setup, and to date not a single issue. ive run this set up at winch challenged back in the uk with 35" simex without bother as well!

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”