learn me Disco style's

dangerous
Hard Yaka

learn me Disco style's

Postby dangerous » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Ok so wanting to sell my 06 D40 Navara for something more usfull off road, something my 5yr olds will like, so been looking at safari cruser etc, but shit for what ya get for your money the landie looks beter value.
Now I know shit all about the discovery's only what I have picked up on from tardme.
Disco 1, older engines and spring suspension so easy to lift?
D2, 5 pot diesel great engine or 4.0 V8 a beter engine that the 4.6? air bag sus in rear self levaling cant see that an advantage of rd?
D3, getting a bit dear and dont know a lot about em?
Now I believe they are all full time 4x4? how is that an advantage surley that means they are less usfull of rd than a selected box 2-4wd?
does the disco have a dif lock or anything, I mean like what makes them so good off rd than say a old safari witha LSD, dif lock and articulation leaver thing
So Im after a rig to cross the river we live next to, take into the alps on adventures to DOC huts, and this will be the family wagon... will a disco suit me?

learn me landie people

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Re: learn me Disco style's

Postby BadCo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 pm

I don't know a hell of a lot about discos, and I have only had my 110 for over a year, but I have read a bit about them so I'll try help :) hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps.

dangerous wrote:Disco 1, older engines and spring suspension so easy to lift?

Same shocks as a Defender, same front springs but different rears. Easy to lift.

dangerous wrote:D2, 5 pot diesel great engine or 4.0 V8 a beter engine that the 4.6?

The TD5 can make good power with a remap and intercooler upgrade, but it has its issues. I know bugger all about the V8s except for the old 3.5 is awesome haha. Check out aulro.com for more info.

dangerous wrote:air bag sus in rear self levaling cant see that an advantage of rd?

You can get coil conversion kits for them. The self levelling is more for towing.

dangerous wrote:D3, getting a bit dear and dont know a lot about em?

Not much sorry, they love them in aussie for going cross country. I guess it depends on the off roading you want to do.

dangerous wrote:Now I believe they are all full time 4x4? how is that an advantage surley that means they are less usfull of rd than a selected box 2-4wd? does the disco have a dif lock or anything, I mean like what makes them so good off rd than say a old safari witha LSD, dif lock and articulation leaver thing

Yes they are all full time. The D1 and some D2s have a centre diff lock (the D2s that don't can have it retrofitted and plus they have traction control) so once you leave the road and engage the centre diff lock you will have 50/50 drive front and rear. Similar to a 80 Series Land Cruiser.

What's an articulation lever? All Land Rovers come with open diffs, but plenty of choices for lockers around. They are better because they are Land Rovers ;) (waits for the hate...)

dangerous wrote:So Im after a rig to cross the river we live next to, take into the alps on adventures to DOC huts, and this will be the family wagon... will a disco suit me?

learn me landie people

Sure why not, doesn't sound too hard.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:38 pm

BadCo wrote:What's an articulation lever?

In-cab operated Electric rear sway bar disconnect.

does the disco have a dif lock or anything,

But important to remember that it doesnt lock the axles, just the centre diff. So a full time 4x4 with the centre diff locked is exactly the same as a part time 4x4 with 4wd engaged, and the hubs locked.

I mean like what makes them so good off rd

100 inch wheelbase and really good weight distribution, and also the weight of the vehicle itself, ie not too heavy, not too light.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 am

Recently got a V8 Disco 1 as a toy, so no great experience with them yet - but quite a bit of reading... D1 better than later models for departure angle since they lengthened the body on later ones. ABS brakes cause lots of problems even without burying the wheel sensors in mud & water, so WOF's are likely to get difficult/expensive. Diffs and axles are weak, although maybe OK for light 4WDing as you indicate, but not if you go bigger tyres or add lockers or drive it hard. I plan to put Safari diffs & axles under it & remove ABS before certifying to overcome those problems. Central locking & immobiliser systems are also prone to failure but can be disconnected.

They are certainly a lot of truck for the money - especially V8 models which go quite cheap due to high fuel consumption. High levels of interior comfort and nice to drive. But Landrover electrics are famously unreliable so be prepared... For that reason I went D1 as there are less fancy electrics. V8's also seem prone to camshaft / hydraulic lifter failure if regular oil changes have been skipped but aren't horrifically expensive.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:58 am

Like any motor, if it hasn't been serviced at the correct intervals,with the correct oil, expect premature failure. TD42 Nissan chew through rocker shafts, 1HDT Toyota chew out big ends, 1KZ blow heads etc etc

TD5 20,000km Service interval
300Tdi 10,000km Service interval

Nissan TD42 5,000km
Toyota 1Hdt 5,000km
Toyota 1Kz 5,000km

If you think Land Rovers have electrical issues, then you really want to got a spend a day in the Jeep camp!!! The usual culprits are just a couple of warning lights that pop up, ABS and a couple of others. Simple to reset.

Diffs and Axles aren't "weak", that's a common miss conception. People the world over run 33" + tyres reliably with out any issues.

But if you thrash your truck, and drive like a muppet your going to break anything you get into, Japanese or what ever :lol: :lol:

As with anything, there are numerous upgrades you can get of you want to run 36"big tyres and drive it competition hard. Axles and CV up grades are more readily available and cheaper than they are for most Jappa stuff.

In stock trim, with a set of 235/85/16 tyres, diesel or V8, your getting an awesome buy compared to what you pay for a well worn Nissan or Toyota.

Let me put it to you this way. You want to run 36" tyres, and drive it like a muppet.

You fit the 36's, drive hard for a while and blow a CV, so you think righto, its time for Safari axles.

Now you have your Safari axles under it, you drive everywhere with your foot up it, but your getting stuck everywhere and you wish you had more power.

Your getting stuck everywhere because since fitting the Safari diffs, you know only have the same ground clearance as what you had with the Stock rover axles and 33's, and because of the bigger tyres your gearing is all up the shit and you have no power. Also, you unsprung weight has increased dramatically and its nimbleness off road has been significantly compromised. Your now driving a big, wide, heavy POS with no power and no ground clearance.

By this stage you have been throwing the truck at stuff so hard you have probably busted a Nissan CV, or spun a cruiser rear drive flange so its axle and CV up grade time. actually, while its out you think its time to adjust the diff ratios to reclaim some of that lost power

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you had stuck with 33" (255/85/16) tyres, standard housings, and instead bought some Hi Tuff front and rear axles and a locker, it would have cost you a fraction of what you spent above and your truck would still be light and nimble and awesome. Add to that some driving talent and you would make all the Jappas look silly :lol: :lol: :lol:

The big advantage with a Land Rover is that they are super easy to DIY everything. From basic mechanical repairs to 4WD modifications, they are just a nice vehicle to work on, everything is easy to access and layed out nicely.

They get a lot of bad press, but they are actually a really good unit straight out of the box :D :D :D :D

All parts a readily available from http://www.landroverspares.co.nz too, which makes things easy, no farking around with Repco or BNT or what ever, just one email and they know exactly what your talking about!!
Last edited by DieselBoy on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am

I have a D2 TD5 and not a single piece of electricity is broken. Air suspension is maligned by those who don't understand it. TD5 is a VERY robust engine if it's looked after, which frankly isn't hard to do. Parts reasonably priced. Biggest party trick is at the pumps. 90 litre tank gives up to 1000km. Rego is now cheaper than my Mazda hatchback too. Buy one, you'll love it. Echoing the above, Rex from landrover spares is tops!
How hard can it be?

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:56 pm

awesome guys keep it coming...
Ok so took a D2 V8 for a spin today, found it rather powerless but the two idiot lights center of the dash look like gear cogs, were flashing???

Anyway its like this considered a Safari on trade me 91 250k raised 5" diff locks via a compressor, big arse wheels, turbo added with intercooler etc, ready to 4x4 hard, but for the road Id expect it noisy harsh etc, all for 17k

Today I looked at this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =935254400 like new and all the shit you can think off and 1k cheaper than the above.
On road there be no comparison, off road???

Two questions... how thirsty is the 4L V8?
...the above disco has 18" rims, off rd tyres would be worth as much as the truck Id think? so can you keep the same over all wheel diameter by getting smaller rims but larger tyres?

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Any real world evidence I have seen of V8 economy ranges from a best of 17l/100 and well into the 20's for trucks that are driven around town a lot or off-roaded frequently.
The flashing cogs on the dash indicate the transmission is in limp mode which would explain a lack of power as it locks the tranny in 3rd gear I think. Usually but not always caused by a faulty gear position switch on the transmission.
How hard can it be?

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:59 pm

I bet that 250k on the saf is not even close to genuine!

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 pm

My thoughts - keep the D40 and get a cheap v8 disco for abusing off road. They do have their fair share of issues but would be top of my list when it comes to off road ability versus cost. Should get a tidy one for $2.5k. Go for a face lift mk1. The v8 itself is actually a pretty robust unit although thirsty. Nearly all of the issues can be easily mitigated by a bit of appropriate maintenance and driver knowledge. Its taken us a few years of bush spannering to get there but I'd be happy to do up a list if you wanted. Funny I'm saying this as I've never actually owned one! Used to hate Dave's one, spoiled so many runs out (or made em more interesting). But once you cure the overheating...................... And the..................................
May the force be with you.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 pm

dangerous wrote:awesome guys keep it coming...

Two questions... how thirsty is the 4L V8?
...the above disco has 18" rims, off rd tyres would be worth as much as the truck Id think? so can you keep the same over all wheel diameter by getting smaller rims but larger tyres?

Yes, V8 so can be thirsty especially if driven aggressively or lots of stop start around town. I have managed to get down as low as 12L/100 on trip but as soon as you start around town driving it will move upwards.

As for rims tyres, many came out on 16-inch rims so there will be options available. Also there are steel rim options available (again 16-inch). Just remember that the D2 has a different stud pattern/size to the earlier D1 and Defender.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 am

Team Tonka wrote: Nearly all of the issues can be easily mitigated by a bit of appropriate maintenance and driver knowledge. Its taken us a few years of bush spannering to get there but I'd be happy to do up a list if you wanted..............................

yeah if you have the time why not, start a new trread with it, sure there will be some that dont agree but they can post there thoughts to...

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 am

The 300tdi Disco is a total "no-brainer" in my view.
They just stare @ you in the face on Trademe against anything else.
1. Cheap as chips
2. Plenty of spares out there
3. The body is ideally sized, wheel base etc.

Always amazes me why so many of them nowadays end up as donas for pretend Defenders or tough trucks.
The V8 motor to me is an ideal sports car motor, but runs way better in the disco than it ought to. Eight screening pistons sucking juice like no tomorrow.
The 200 & 300 TDI was the best donk L-R ever made period. Usually cost a little more than a V8, they last longer & are more economical. After all, they were designed from the outset to suit this purpose specifically. Not some lump adapted from van/truck/marine use like the majority of Jappas & Jeeps.
The later models('94 onwards) have 24 spline axles & therefore a little better also.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Disco-Gibbo wrote:3. The body is ideally sized,

They are quite top heavy with the steel roof though. Quite a tall/narrow design.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 pm

so the 200 and 300 are pom engines, whats the bmw one i here a bit about? all 4cyls? apart from the TD5?

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:28 pm

dangerous wrote:so the 200 and 300 are pom engines, whats the bmw one i here a bit about? all 4cyls? apart from the TD5?

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:12 pm

BadCo wrote:
dangerous wrote:so the 200 and 300 are pom engines, whats the bmw one i here a bit about? all 4cyls? apart from the TD5?

mate... there was a TD5 advertised the other day and the owner said it is NOT a BMW enigne???
by chance would the BMW disel be a 6 cyl?

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:35 pm

The TD5 is BMW. Maybe you are talking about the South African BMW petrol engine?

EDIT: Which apparently is the BMW M52

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 pm

There was a BMW diesel engine put in the P38 Range Rover.

The TD5 was Land Rover's last in house designed diesel engine.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:54 pm

yeah it was a p38 i seen a 6 pot bmw diesel in... you last two guys one says the td5 was in house the other says its bmw??? dont make me go google this shit

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm

dangerous wrote:yeah it was a p38 i seen a 6 pot bmw diesel in... you last two guys one says the td5 was in house the other says its bmw??? dont make me go google this shit

You would be better off Googling rather than having conflicting comments from here.

Only BMW diesel engines used were the 6 cylinder engines in the 1995 to 2002 model Range Rovers (LP or P38) followed by upgraded version of the engine in the Range Rover (LM322) from 2002 until about 2004 when the TDV6 was introduced.

The Td5 engine is a 5-cylinder Land Rover engine used in Defender from 1999 to 2007 and also in Discovery 2 from 1999 to 2004.

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:02 pm

Ha cool, I didn't realise it was designed before BMW took over!

No, it's not an BMW engine, but an Rover design and, as it was almost finished when BMW took over, they agreed to continue work to fit it in Landrovers.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Td5engine.htm

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

They are quite top heavy with the steel roof though. Quite a tall/narrow design.[/quote]

Sure, a little top heavy, but not when you compare with a defender & an empty roofrack - let alone gear up there as well.
Hardly a handicap, even with anti roll bars disconnected.
Narrow - don't think so - wider than defender body - same as R-R Classic

Often thought to take the rear 1/2 of the roof off & install a roll bar & canvas top?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:13 pm

You're right they are absolutely faultless in every way.

79 inches high x 58.5 inches wide isn't narrow relative to height or anything

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 pm

lax2wlg wrote:You're right they are absolutely faultless in every way.

79 inches high x 58.5 inches wide isn't narrow relative to height or anything

Still a poor mans Defender though ;)

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:40 pm

[quote="BadCo]

Still a poor mans Defender though ;)[/quote]

Yeah, those poor, silly Discovery drivers having to put up with comfy seats, quiet cabin, proper heater, a stereo you can hear....Losers
How hard can it be?

BadCo
Hard Yaka

Postby BadCo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
BadCo wrote:
Still a poor mans Defender though ;)

Yeah, those poor, silly Discovery drivers having to put up with comfy seats, quiet cabin, proper heater, a stereo you can hear....Losers

Unnecessary accessories! Haha

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:05 pm

it's a fair point, I loved my Landrovers(109 series 111, and a flatdeck diesel 110), but just because i was inside one, didn't mean i was out of the wind and the rain! :)

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 am

I have three Discos 1s and one donor, TD300 and V8s and have had many over the years and love em. Used to work for Landrover in SA and in 94 the 90 series also came out with a factory BMW 6 cyl petrol engine. Sounded great and went really well until...........you started to wade through water. They need a fair bit of water proofing but were still mean 90s. We also fitted a number of brand new Defenders with 350 Chevy crate motors straight off the show room floor for the rich folks to tow their 18ft caravan and huge boat behind that. looked awesome. I love my poor mans Defenders cause they go the same places for half the investment cost. "Disco fever" is a real problem haha..............

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Great debating this.

If we say the following:-
Standard Defender = 8/10 for off Road & 5/10 on-Road
& therefore
Standard Disco = 5/10 for off Road & 8/10 on-Road

Using the best mods then......
Modified Defender - 10/10 for off Road & 6/10 on-Road
Modified Disco -10/10 for off Road & 8/10 on-Road

You can modify a Disco a whole lot easier to match a Defender off road than you can modify a Defender to get close to a Disco on-road.

This biggest bonus is the Disco is 1/2 the $$. Therefore, less $$ = more fun
-Feel free to shoot me down

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”