Motor conversions - Rangie

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Motor conversions - Rangie

Postby bang-thud-thump » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:30 pm

So if you were looking at a diesel Rangie with a cooked motor what would you look at for a repower?
Im waiting on a confirmation of year/model.

Cheers

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Re: Motor conversions - Rangie

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:24 am

Firstly, changing from diesel to a petrol is quite involved & not recommended on a cost/ effort basis.
Options:-
1. If the Rangie is a Classic & it was mine I'd replace it with another 200 or 300tdi Diesel (what ever was in it originally).
2. If it's a P38 I'd replace it also (probably the BMW motor)
3. If you don't want to do No. 1 - I'll buy the truck from you as is!
4. If it's the later L322 model, then get it rebuilt

Any of the motor options above can be tuned up safely ie remove ERG, add larger turbo & inter-cooler , but usually compromises longevity if you re-map/chip for more fuel to any extent.

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:36 pm

classic rangie, there are a number of options.

if an earlier one with the 727, the V8 options are limitless.

200-300tdi manual or auto are a go, just you can not keep your v8 auto is that's what your starting with.

if your lucky to have an LT95 then also look at Isuzu 4bd1 or better 4bb1, auto is not an option with these

By BMW? i assume you mean the TD5, which actually has nothing to do with BMW. its an option, auto or manual.

p38, you can do all of the above but with the diffs on the other side?? the 4.6 is better since it has the bigger lock up GB, you can bolt a puma to this.

look at aschofts, they have a puma 110 to auto kit using the p38 GB, you can just pick the parts from that. chip the puma and new ecu for the box she would bloody fly

your only limited by imagination and cash

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 pm

I think he's referring to the 2.5l BMW diesel motor that was available in the P38 DSE.

If its a RRC it could also have been fitted with the Italian VM diesel from the factory.

Yeah that Chrysler 727 transmission fitted to early V8s has a very good reputation for strength. ie the one they used before the BMW/ZF 4-speed.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Yheres a rangie in marton with a mitsi canter truck motor n box.. pto too.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 pm

4D56? By all accounts they're a torque monster, with reliability to boot.

I wouldn't go with an Isuzu four pot, because they're just a carbon copy of the Cummins 4BT.

I found the 300tdi exceptionally economical and reliable. If it was a series or early 110/90 with a tired two point five in it, I have found the Nissan LD28t to be very suited to that platform. Really nice torque spread, Insanely reliable and revvy enough to allow you to still run 4.7 diff gears, which makes a huge difference off-road.

But personally, for a Range Rover, I don't think an LD would work too well in terms of weight distribution. The 3.5 weighs 150kg, IMO that is one of the reasons the RRC platform works so well offroad. Unless you loaded up the rear cargo area with tools and spare parts and extra fuel, water etc, the weight distribution would become unbalanced. So for a range rover, in my opinion, the answer is a direct injection,light, reliable 4 cylinder diesel... 300tdi or Nissan BD30 at a stretch. But if you want to keep it all Rover, very hard to beat the 300tdi. 195lb/ft of torque at f@@k all over idle speed will piss all over the 3.5 V8 any day of the week. And 3pg in a full time 4wd that weighs almost 2.5 tonn? You can't beat that.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 am

lax2wlg wrote:4D56? By all accounts they're a torque monster, with reliability to boot.

I wouldn't go with an Isuzu four pot, because they're just a carbon copy of the Cummins 4BT.

I found the 300tdi exceptionally economical and reliable. If it was a series or early 110/90 with a tired two point five in it, I have found the Nissan LD28t to be very suited to that platform. Really nice torque spread, Insanely reliable and revvy enough to allow you to still run 4.7 diff gears, which makes a huge difference off-road.

But personally, for a Range Rover, I don't think an LD would work too well in terms of weight distribution. The 3.5 weighs 150kg, IMO that is one of the reasons the RRC platform works so well offroad. Unless you loaded up the rear cargo area with tools and spare parts and extra fuel, water etc, the weight distribution would become unbalanced. So for a range rover, in my opinion, the answer is a direct injection,light, reliable 4 cylinder diesel... 300tdi or Nissan BD30 at a stretch. But if you want to keep it all Rover, very hard to beat the 300tdi. 195lb/ft of torque at f@@k all over idle speed will piss all over the 3.5 V8 any day of the week. And 3pg in a full time 4wd that weighs almost 2.5 tonn? You can't beat that.

HA HA HA, now i really know why every one said just take no notice of what you write

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”