Do i keep the disco?

quattro
Bush Crasher

Do i keep the disco?

Postby quattro » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi, I new to the 4wd scene and have a few questions weather I spend money on my disco 1 or buy something else. I ended up with a 200tdi discovery after my golf was written off. I bought with the head off and needing a couple of push rods replacing after it dropped the timing belt. Its always so much fun reassembling something you didn't pull a part. Anyway it now has new belts, head gasket, water pump, thermostat and I've just done the clutch.

It is in need of new tyres and suspension. Is it worth spending money on this or am I better off to sell it to buy something that will be better off road?
Discovery 4bd1t project

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Re: Do i keep the disco?

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Depends what you want to do. They are pretty capable trucks in standard form (once you put decent tyres on anyway).

Tell us what your end game is and then heaps of people on here will be able to give you plenty of specific advice.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

noexitroad
Hard Yaka

Postby noexitroad » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

start collecting them. it's cool. u will never be short of conversation at a bbq....

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 pm

200tdi is considered a good and often sort after engine. Anything you buy will probably need suspension and tyres, especially if you intend to go off road.

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:47 am

Keep it. They are very capable in standard form. With a mild lift and decent tyres you will be surprised just what they will do off road.

Plus it probably only owes you $3000 or less if you bought it non-running so you can't really go wrong. Even if you sell it for $5K, whatever else you buy 4X4 for the same money will still need tyres etc...

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:13 am

As it sits now it owes me $1800.

Any suggestions for what suspension and wheels and tyres to get and where to get them from?
Discovery 4bd1t project

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 am

Also what about diff locks for it? Having open diffs doesn't seem like a good idea
Discovery 4bd1t project

LR90NZ
Hard Yaka

Postby LR90NZ » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:56 am

quattro wrote:As it sits now it owes me $1800.

Any suggestions for what suspension and wheels and tyres to get and where to get them from?

www.mainlandrover.co.nz has Terrafirma and Extreme 4x4 options available along with diff locks.

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 pm

What's the terrafima gear like? Its quite cheap to buy in the uk
Discovery 4bd1t project

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:37 pm

If it's a 3 door manual 200tdi, def. keep it. I would restore it because they're very rare in that spec.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:53 am

lax2wlg wrote:If it's a 3 door manual 200tdi, def. keep it. I would restore it because they're very rare in that spec.

Its pretty beat up. At least 2 good sized dents per panel
Discovery 4bd1t project

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Discovery 4bd1t project

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Have since fitted a 2inch suspension lift after the rear shocks snapped.

But i still need to sort wheels and tyres. I currently have Bridgestone dueler at 255/70/16 on there. Where can i get 15 inch wheels from and will 33 inch tyres fit or will it need a body lift as well?

Discovery 4bd1t project

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Doesn't look as though it has much of a lift in that photo, presuming it was taken after the 2 inch lift.
Did you take before and after measurements to confirm the amount of lift?

Remove the 'cups' on the axle housing mounts for the rear shocks to stop breaking the rear shock pins.
Or alternatively make sure the shock washers are 'reversed' and don't touch the 'cup' when articulating.

Why do you want 33's and why 15" rims?
With 265x75x16 tyres (32's) you will have as much clearance under the diffs as a Nissan on 35's.
There are 33" tyres available in 16 inch such as 255x85x16 which is a favourite for Landy's.

If you go the 15" and 33's then you will need to do some serious trimming of the wheel arches and fit flares.
http://www.allmakes4x4.com/blog/terrafi ... -arch-kits

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm

I need another set of wheels as i dont really fancy running around on muds. Also will need a lower offset to the standard wheels as it rubs on full lock now with 255s on
Discovery 4bd1t project

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:50 am

I would def keep it. I am on my 7th Disco since South Africa where I bought my first one in 1996. Had 2 TD200 in the past years and a year ago changed to TD300 manual and fricken love them. So lite on fuel, plenty off power for road and off roading and towing my Bobtail Disco. Totally agree that a little lift and good mud tyres will make it better that any cheap shitty japer 4x4 any day. The Disco have way more class and history even if they are cheaper to buy, possibly older comparison wise and slightly less powerful on the 1 series. I have taken then through South Africa, Mozambique , Lesotho and NZ and they are so comfortable on and off the road. Keep it for sure.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:54 am

lax2wlg wrote:
Disco Gofer wrote:I would def keep it. I am on my 7th Disco since South Africa where I bought my first one in 1996. Had 2 TD200 in the past years and a year ago changed to TD300 manual and fricken love them. So lite on fuel, plenty off power for road and off roading and towing my Bobtail Disco. Totally agree that a little lift and good mud tyres will make it better that any cheap shitty japer 4x4 any day. The Disco have way more class and history even if they are cheaper to buy, possibly older comparison wise and slightly less powerful on the 1 series. I have taken then through South Africa, Mozambique , Lesotho and NZ and they are so comfortable on and off the road. Keep it for sure.

LOL maybe, but there must be something too it.... you don't see that sort of support for a terrano or mistral lol add to this the amount of people who buy something else and come back to rover.... I'm one lol I've built alsorts and I'm now building two landy's ( alright I have removed most of the rover stuff but they will both still look like landys lol)

To the OP'er
if your after tyres there is a dealer based out of Hastings who deals on Trademe run a search for Silverstones and you should find him he is the best priced other than that I deal with Neol at Big Value down near the Onekawa pub in Napier he is slightly better in price than alot of the others but his service is good as for rims lol definitely talk to Neol if its out there he will find it one of the reasons I go to him
Occasonally the rims you want turn up on trademe old school ROH ones (8" wide white spokes with the offset) the modern ones are made from a lighter gauge and don't seem to have much offset

As for keeping the truck... it sounds like this is your first step into 4wd'n, so my advice is keep the disco and go from there, you know you have a good motor if you sell it and buy another you'll only have the sellers word for it lol standard the suspension is better than the majority of 4wd's
The let down for this truck is if you decide to go nuts and build a super toy they require more thought and work to work around to get 35"s etc under
But my advice (after running a custom 4wd shop for yrs in HB) is put a set of 31-32" muds on some new offset rims put some flares on it and good recovery points front and back then join twin city 4wd club... the hawkes bay club is probably a bit to intense for a beginner.... if you get the bug and decide you want to challenge yourself and your truck then HB club is the one
You dont' need lockers and all that stuff case in point some of the top drivers in the HB club don't have lockers, go out have some fun get stuck meet some people and see where it takes you.... then get the stuff to pimp your ride lol
Oh and one last bit of advice get another toy to build that way you have one that will get you out while you build the other lol

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Cool a 2 door.

Looks like a keeper to me.

Body lifts are a pain but quite easy to do, better if you are going to make up a rear bar as well and re mounting a front bar or bumpers is a pain as with the radiator hoses etc etc.

Personally i have done both body lifts and camel cuts. i prefer the latter, looks and works better with out all the frigging around. either will let you fitt 33"

al also prefer the 200 tdi over the 300. none of the 300 known faults but a little harder to work on.

if you want to run 33" you may fined that first gear is getting a bit tall, if i remember correctly you transfer gears are 1.2? so grab some defender ones at 1.4, works well.

do not know why your rear shocks broke? and to late now but a good idea is to swap out the top mount so you can run pin to pin shocks. std mounts are known to snap of the top mount of std shocks when extreme flexing.

lockers, just the cheep Chinese jobs, everyone is racing on them in aussie, aussies have been beating each other up about them for the last few years. but they do not go bang to argument has ended.

std rims are not always the best with 33" the -22 offset has them sucked in way to far -15 works for me, although i run 15" X 8" wrapped in 12.5 33 15

tuning,
you actually have better options than a 300 tdi. grab a TD4 turbo of a wreck is a good move, or just up the off boost fuleing ( tyres) and you on-boost till you get about 14 psi with a std turbo or 18 psi with a td4 turbo.
make sure your fuel filter is good as is your lift pump.

so at a guess, all of the above depending on rubber choice, say another 2.5 - 3 k and you have a weapon. able to eat toymotors and nissseies an may small bites ( that is if you learn to control your right foot.

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:52 pm

De-Ranged wrote:Oh and one last bit of advice get another toy to build that way you have one that will get you out while you build the other lol

a LR addict???

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

As as far as performance goes i have it pretty well sorted. Have upped the fueling and boost, have a big front mount intercooler. Also have a vnt turbo im going to fit and will make a new exhaust at the same time.

Will look into this camel cut as i haven't seen it befor, although doing a body lift is no big deal.

Where do i find the chinese made lockers? With 33s will changing the transfer box ratios be ok or should I change the diff ratios too?

Cheers
Discovery 4bd1t project

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 am

quattro wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

As as far as performance goes i have it pretty well sorted. Have upped the fueling and boost, have a big front mount intercooler. Also have a vnt turbo im going to fit and will make a new exhaust at the same time.

Will look into this camel cut as i haven't seen it befor, although doing a body lift is no big deal.

Where do i find the chinese made lockers? With 33s will changing the transfer box ratios be ok or should I change the diff ratios too?

Cheers

well a body lift is not that hard, until you come to mounting bull bars seat belts radiator etc etc it quite a lot of mucking about, then a eng report and an argument every time you go for a WOF

a bigger inter-cooler is good as is a more open exorst, or even just cutting out the centre muffler. but be careful with swapping out turbo, you have fuel enough for just over 20psi midrange, but then do you have a head nailed down to take that???? also intake track will have to be opened up a bit. LOL its a 4x4 so a pod filter is out LOL

fit a pre turbo EGT gage, 700 is the real limit.

just change the centre diff. of you want to go flash, look at ashcrofts new replacement.

Chinese lockers just google it, usually 1/2 the price of ARB.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:59 pm

De-Ranged wrote:LOL maybe, but there must be something too it.... you don't see that sort of support for a terrano or mistral lol add to this the amount of people who buy something else and come back to rover.... I'm one lol I've built alsorts and I'm now building two landy's ( alright I have removed most of the rover stuff but they will both still look like landys lol)

Fair call De-Ranged, fair play.
I can't speak for Mistrals myself lol
But I can see myself going back to a Landy (again). Well, a Landy chassis and body anyway.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:56 pm

85County wrote:
De-Ranged wrote:Oh and one last bit of advice get another toy to build that way you have one that will get you out while you build the other lol

a LR addict???

LOL no, I just like to mod things I happen to have 2 by chance tho I do love the old series (and there are no stack of parts trucks lol) the comment wasn't brand specific it is based around the knowledge of how long it takes to build a full on truck lol something that everyone majorly underestimates that and cost

lax2wig wrote:But I can see myself going back to a Landy (again). Well, a Landy chassis and body anyway.

Funny you should mention that, I'm doing that with a 109", TD42 and auto, disco suspension, off road camper I'd guess 500 hrs plus over $19000 in parts and material (no labor!) so far and I don't even have a rolling chassis, a good portion of this cost is due to the mistake of staying with rover axles (back axle is somewhere around $5000) and after all my work I still expect to brake my front axles due to running 35"s.... by the time I pass cert I'm estimating $30,000 and that wont be the end of it lol this is intended as a road going 4wd not a competition rig.... I have another toy for that lol

carefull with the chinese lockers they can bite you... a mate got a set for his paj and he had to get them machined locally so they could fit, not really a cost saving lol

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:05 am

Looks like admin deleted my second post...

But a td42 auto on a 109 chassis sounds like my cup of tea. I imagine you are building some sort of mega strong Salisbury/Dana 60 hybrid in the stern. Aye aye.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:27 am

LOL cup of tea it isn't! a challenge would be a nice way of saying it.... it has effected so many things rear axle is one, rear D/S is so short I had to make the diff centered instead of offset
Standard SIII Sals made the diff centered, converted to Disco/RR link suspension, braced & armored, disk conversion, spacers, ARB and new bits bearings seals axle shafts flanges etc
I chose the Sals because it is uber strong, it has the 4.8 gearing which gives me the factory speed for the TD42 Auto even tho i'm rolling on 35"s... this is intended as a tow wagon with this gearing it should have plenty of torque and the diff will take all the motor can dish out.... front axle is another story lol

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm

De-Ranged wrote:
Funny you should mention that, I'm doing that with a 109", TD42 and auto, disco suspension, off road camper I'd guess 500 hrs plus over $19000 in parts and material (no labor!) so far and I don't even have a rolling chassis, a good portion of this cost is due to the mistake of staying with rover axles (back axle is somewhere around $5000) and after all my work I still expect to brake my front axles due to running 35"s.... by the time I pass cert I'm estimating $30,000 and that wont be the end of it lol this is intended as a road going 4wd not a competition rig.... I have another toy for that lol

carefull with the chinese lockers they can bite you... a mate got a set for his paj and he had to get them machined locally so they could fit, not really a cost saving lol

Not realy a fan of the td42, can not blow them much, and the chew fule.

but being in aussie i have and the more desirable is the isuzu bd. so a bd with an Allison 545 for fun or a 5p/s for highway.

why are you mucking about with an old s111, should have just jumped to an early 110 chassis,

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Sorry Quattro guess your thread has been hi-jacked

Can't blow them ?? I don't know what you call blowing but I think 25lb is plenty and I know of 3 local and alot of others on the net pumping this and more , I was only planing on between 7 and 10lb as my motor is a +T without the turbo pump
Thing I like about them is they are incredibly reliable I have a mate with a fleet of them a good portion over 500,000ks and still going well, it comes with an auto (requirement) that bolts up and was designed for it and being indirect injection I stand to make some good gains from LPG misting if I ever get around to it don't think that it would ever be able to come close to common rail economy but I'd rather have reliability
As for the Isuzu 3.9 a very good motor but it torque pulses bad enough that the Aussy military(the biggest user of this conversion) stuck with the old LT95 4 speed box because it was the only thing that stood up well, this made me concerned as to how well it would go with an auto.... incidentally I have a mates SIIa 88" in my shed that we are putting the Isuzu 3.6 into with an old safari MQ box on it
The choice of trans the jatco (sp?) is as close to bomb proof I've seen the only issues I've seen has been due to water in the computers for them catch is it is the length of a whale lol part of the length issue that ment I had to convert my rear axle to center diff, the Allison doesn't have as good a record that said I don't think they'd have the same overheating issues in a light truck and its ALOT shorter
The main reason I went with this is at the right time I got offered motor and trans for the right price lol
The truck is a SIIa 109" the truck I learned to drive in lol I have stuck with the chassis because in NZ that is the identity of the vehicle not the body.... as for another chassis and drop the body on, the SII front end has the set back engine bay so no matter what chassis options I play with I was looking at having to mod placements to fit so i decided to keep my truck

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 pm

De-Ranged wrote:Sorry Quattro guess your thread has been hi-jacked

Can't blow them ?? I don't know what you call blowing but I think 25lb is plenty and I know of 3 local and alot of others on the net pumping this and more , I was only planing on between 7 and 10lb as my motor is a +T without the turbo pump
Thing I like about them is they are incredibly reliable I have a mate with a fleet of them a good portion over 500,000ks and still going well, it comes with an auto (requirement) that bolts up and was designed for it and being indirect injection I stand to make some good gains from LPG misting if I ever get around to it don't think that it would ever be able to come close to common rail economy but I'd rather have reliability

ok not a good chouice of words on my part, being indirect injection, you do not get the gains at higher boost and can actualy run in to othere issues, but i suspect you are on to all this.

De-Ranged wrote:As for the Isuzu 3.9 a very good motor but it torque pulses bad enough that the Aussy military(the biggest user of this conversion) stuck with the old LT95 4 speed box because it was the only thing that stood up well, this made me concerned as to how well it would go with an auto....

a sort of true. LR stuck with the LT95 becouse thats all thay had at the time, but after october 85 they fitted the LT85 5 speed wich works well. as for autos, AT545 is a boult up factory option with a bit of swaping around you can get a MT box behind it as well. and then there is the many izusu 5 - 6 speed boxs as options.

De-Ranged wrote: incidentally I have a mates SIIa 88" in my shed that we are putting the Isuzu 3.6 into with an old safari MQ box on it

Nice, i like the 3.6 BB over the 3.9 BD isuzus, same block but thay just rev much better, smother over all. blow that and your flying.

De-Ranged wrote: The choice of trans the jatco (sp?) is as close to bomb proof I've seen the only issues I've seen has been due to water in the computers for them catch is it is the length of a whale lol part of the length issue that ment I had to convert my rear axle to center diff, the Allison doesn't have as good a record that said I don't think they'd have the same overheating issues in a light truck and its ALOT shorter
The main reason I went with this is at the right time I got offered motor and trans for the right price lol

i do not know much about the Jatco tranz, but right price is always powerfull.
De-Ranged wrote:The truck is a SIIa 109" the truck I learned to drive in lol I have stuck with the chassis because in NZ that is the identity of the vehicle not the body.... as for another chassis and drop the body on, the SII front end has the set back engine bay so no matter what chassis options I play with I was looking at having to mod placements to fit so i decided to keep my truck

ahh so you have an attachment to the s11, says it all... cool, NB id vehiclas same in aus

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 pm

3.6 isuzu he'll be using is a 4bE1, 4bb1s are ancient and pretty uncommon in nz, even when they were new. most 4cyl stuff was 4ja1, 4jb1, 4bc2 or 4bd1 back then.
interesting that the 4bd1 kills stuff. you could get them with a factory isuzu box (probably a jatco) back when they were available new in trucks. their larger 4cylinders definitely are as well.
wonder if an msa/mxa isuzu 4wd box would do the deal with a landrover? RH transfer case front, centre rear exit. pretty huge, though.

85County
Bush Crasher

Postby 85County » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Cameron wrote:3.6 isuzu he'll be using is a 4bE1, 4bb1s are ancient and pretty uncommon in nz, even when they were new. most 4cyl stuff was 4ja1, 4jb1, 4bc2 or 4bd1 back then.
interesting that the 4bd1 kills stuff. you could get them with a factory isuzu box (probably a jatco) back when they were available new in trucks. their larger 4cylinders definitely are as well.
wonder if an msa/mxa isuzu 4wd box would do the deal with a landrover? RH transfer case front, centre rear exit. pretty huge, though.

do you know the dia of the input bearing or better the bearing number and make. also the pre load, and i will tell you if it works. or survive

the MSA box behind a BB is not uncommon but with the LT230 nailed on the back, works very well if you get the correct suffix box ( ratios)

as for the torque pulses of the BB it really is only an issue at idle and just above, sitting at the lights you can hear the clutch springs bouncing around and the backlash in the gearbox rattling. turn up the idle fixes most of it

the BB flywheel housing is SAE3 so it will accept any GM and jap boxes, they also came with ASIAN autos ( bad news) Allison AT 545 in a lot of buses, you can get a 4x4 rear housing and adapt the LT230 to that. its a real fun combo.

or you pull an SAE2 housing off a 6bb/ etc and bolt up a Allison MT box, then you get the lock-up. but if a bb std was 85 KW slap on a turbo, well plent of utube vids on that

BC is the same block as the BB, nice motor.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”