Considering S1 Disco V8.... Problems?

Rusty
Driver/Navigator

Considering S1 Disco V8.... Problems?

Postby Rusty » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:56 am

Hey guys, since the demise of my Terrano (fuel pump possibly) the the cost vs benefit of throwing more money at it no longer makes sense.

Cue thought process of jumping ships to the dark side :twisted:

Always loved the V8 Discos, and with S1 models being ludicrously cheap these days it's hard not to consider them.

I'd look for a lower km V8, I'm not worried about fuel as I already drive a V8 and the Terrano used 16-17L/100km around town. I like them because they are relatively simple and should be easy to repair out bush.

Are the Auto's reliable? (Manuals are hard to find in Aus)

Plan is for a touring wagon: 2" lift, 32's, bar, winch, etc.

Other niggles?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Re: Considering S1 Disco V8.... Problems?

Postby muddy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Not personal experience (yet - I've gone down the same track) but my research from discussions and other forums is that diffs and axles can be a weak point but on 32's may be OK (I'm running 35's so have gone to Safari axles), but the niggly things that fail are sagging roof lining, sunroof mechanism, ABS and SRS faults. With a lift, the crazy rubber donut instead of a universal on the rear diff is also a likely problem. Also be aware that the UJ's have fairly limited angles so may start to bind at full droop with lifted suspension. IN NZ, since they are over 15yrs old, you can get them certified to have ABS and/or SRS removed which is probably cheaper than trying keep them functional, but rules are likely different in Oz.

Rusty
Driver/Navigator

Postby Rusty » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:33 pm

I've heard the same about the axles and diffs, however I'm usually pretty mechanically sympathetic and I'm not really going to be doing super bonkers stuff so that's not a huge concern.

The V8's seem nice and simple. Any huge issues with the 3.9? Lucas electrics?

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Also been told that electronic ignition is a good upgrade if you're planning on deep water - apparently the dizzy is pretty water sensitive - but in Oz may not be a big concern...

Rusty
Driver/Navigator

Postby Rusty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 am

I don't think a water sensitive dissi is localised to just Landies. But electric ignition would be a good upgrade.

How do you find the v8 muddy? Plenty of torque?

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 am

I wouldn't say "Plenty" but better than I've had in the past. And the really deep low range coupled with the auto box keeps it coming consistently...

Rusty
Driver/Navigator

Postby Rusty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:14 pm

muddy wrote:I wouldn't say "Plenty" but better than I've had in the past. And the really deep low range coupled with the auto box keeps it coming consistently...

interesting indeed. It'd sound delightful while it was doing it too.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”