disco 1 abs light on, grrrr

noexitroad
Hard Yaka

disco 1 abs light on, grrrr

Postby noexitroad » Tue May 17, 2016 7:42 pm

can somebody just run out and check their disco 1 for me, as I am up the creek a bit here.
story goes like this......
bought a disco 1 and the abs light never used to come up at all when ign turned on. turns out due to light bulb having been removed. New light in and now abs light won't go out (no surprises there I guess)
took to auto-electrician who scanned and said it was abs pump.
replaced pump.
light still on
Do I need to get it rescanned? Auto electrician said probably not necessary.
here is the bit i am not sure about either, according to the interweb, the light should come on, go off , then come on and stay on until the vehicle moves, and then go off if there is no fault and obviously stay on if there is.
could somebody confirm this is the case please, as mine comes on and stays on all the time.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Re: disco 1 abs light on, grrrr

Postby Mattman » Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Interested to hear, my light is on as well!

surfer x2
Driver/Navigator

Postby surfer x2 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 am

That is right, light will stay on until you start moving.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri May 20, 2016 10:37 am

Ok chaps.. :lol: what you need to do is.. climb under the truck as Land rover in their infinite wisdom didn't tell the land rover user when the abs light came on which wheel is at fault. . That being said take the wheels off.. all or 1 at a time will work :wink: trace the wire to the sensor then here is the critical bit.. :lol: :lol: just ya hammer or even ya hand and gently push or tap the round part in until it doesn't go in any more then go for a drive.. Second bit.. :roll: if this doesn't work you need to pull the sensor out and clean the end then push it back in.. it will work once the sensor is in as when you get it hard back touching the rotating bit in the hub. When you go for a spin the sensor will move out a fly shit then hey presto 8) light goes out.. now this WILL happen again and again until you get really fucked off with it.. the sell it to complete the passing it forward.. :lol: :lol: then the new land Rover lover has this problem. . Then the cycle starts all over again. . See what happens is the O ring needs replacing and to do this the hub needs taking to bits. . :cry: so yea.. how do I know this you ask.. I owned one of these pieces of shit.. :wink: and the I passed it on to some other turkey :lol: :lol: oh I mean Landrover lover.. :wink: that is it My friend :roll:

Alister
Winch master

Postby Alister » Mon May 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Here's how it works:

When the truck has no ABS faults and you turn your ignition on, the ABS light will come on, and stay on until you drive forward at more than 4 kph (or whatever it is - I usually hit it going down my short driveway).

When the truck has a fault and you turn your ignition on, the ABS light will come on bright for a few seconds, then dim down and stay on even when you go past the magic 4 kph (as above).

If you have replaced the pump and the light is still on, then to determine where the fault is you need to read the code again - however you do not need to go to a auto-electrician to do this it is possible with a little fiddling to get the ABS warning light to display "blink codes". This is written up somewhere on the internet and it involves disconnecting the ABS relay under the passenger side of the dash and shorting two pins in the OBD port. The write-up includes a list of blink codes. I followed this to sort out my right front sensor which just needed reseating as per the instructions above - except I still have the truck...). The hardest part was locating the ABS relay... Google should help you find the write-up.

HTH,

Alister.

Alister
Winch master

Postby Alister » Mon May 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Have a look through the PDF file in this conversation: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=75678

noexitroad
Hard Yaka

Postby noexitroad » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

well it's taken me a while on account of having limited time at the moment to play with my toys, but the problem has been resolved. can't exactly say what it was but here's what i did. replaced the abs pump as per auto electricians recommendation. did not fix fault. decided to charge into those sensors so pulled them all, cleaned and reset. nope, not that. pulled the relays down to take a look and then ran out of time so left them lying on floor. then it rained and water from a leaking windscreen ( i am guessing) filled them up which ran the battery flat and stuffed most of them. couple of trips to repco to clean them out of relays and hey presto, fault now gone. out of interest i did the flash test to get a fault code which came up as a 2 -3 code which is not even mentioned in the abs fault codes. so all i can think is by elimination it was the black abs load relay.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”