Swivel Ball fluid/seals

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Swivel Ball fluid/seals

Postby 3VILC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Ok so a bit of googling just confused me more. In landrover wisdom of over engineering everything correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me a series 1 disco has oil in the diff, grease in the bearings, and oil again in the swivel/cv?! Or is the whole lot oil?
Previous experience tells me that oil weeping from the swivel means the axle seal is gone and a nightmare of a job to get at clean replace and regrease everything. But maybe not so bad if it's just the ball seal..that said I haven't looked how to replace that yet haha. I've always just cut the seal and put the join at the top with a bit of rtv sealant in the join but maybe not an option if it has to hold oil rather than just keeping dirt and water out like other makes of axle.
The swivels are coated in the usual 5mm layer of greasy dirt mud mixture so hard to see exactly if it does have the fill/level/drain plugs
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Re: Swivel Ball fluid/seals

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes, greased wheel bearings, oil in diff and swivel housing :mrgreen:
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

lokrite
Bush Crasher

Re: Swivel Ball fluid/seals

Postby lokrite » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 pm

you can replace the swivel oil with lr won shot which comes in a sachet ,used to be about $40 per side , just a thin grease . or just fill with plain grease . The whole seal job is not hard just heavy work and you need a proper 1/2 inch socket set . A good gasket eliminater will replace the cheap gaskets and the bearing spanner is a hot water element tube spanner size 2 1/8 I think about 20 bucks from bunnings [ my one was even branded lr with a union jack sticker] .

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”