My rangie keeps stalling

motivated
Bush Crasher

My rangie keeps stalling

Postby motivated » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:51 pm

I only got this vehicle a few weeks ago and its not exactly a rolls royce. Truth is its been an unloved 1987 Rangie.

It was running real bad so I climbed under the bonnet and found a bit on the head that was meant to have a vacuum hose on it (I think its something to do with polution control), anyway I slapped a bit of hose on it with a screw in the end and it runs so much nicer.

With or without the hose the bloody thing just seems to stall whenever it feels like it. Its strange as it runs fine most of the time. The only thing I can put it down to is british engineering and wiring, but I need to fix the problem cos its inconvenient and frustrating.

It happened tonite when I got home from work. When in park it idles fine, but soon as I put it into gear it stalls. It then started running fine again and the revs haven't increased. It idles at about 750 in park and drops (normally) to about 500 once put into gear.

UPDATE: After spending most of my w/end under the bonnet playing around I have now got these results:

With the small hose I put on the drivers side tappet cover the vehicle seems to run real nice until it gets hot (about 15mins running), then it will stall ( or feels like it wants to stall) if I take my foot of the gas. Its as frustrating as all hell towing a trailor up scarborough hill (with a ton on the trailor) and getting to a tight bend just to have the car stall.

With the small hose off the car runs ruff, revs jump up and down all over the place.When its been running for some time I need to keep my foot on the gas or idle drops to a point where it stalls again, but it doesn't stall until I'm stopped with it idling. It stalls regardless of it being in or out of gear.

It looks like just turning the idle up would solve the problem, but I cant find any way to do this (give me back a carb :) ).

Any help/ideas

Regards Kelvyn.

Athalus78
Bush Crasher

Postby Athalus78 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:31 pm

I think that hose should be connected to your carbys. It sounds like the main vacum from the heads to the carbys/intake manifold. I could be wrong but from experience if it is dissconnected the engine runs but it wont adjust the vacum in the intake manifold to compensate the pressure build up in the heads. Again I may be wrong but the workshop manual I've got has a page of possibilities but they range from electrical to forgein matter in your fuel.
Good Luck :D

Athalus78
Bush Crasher

Postby Athalus78 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Shit you have injection. :oops: I think it still maybe what I think it is. Just not sure how it is all connected. :cry:

motivated
Bush Crasher

Postby motivated » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:52 am

I looked at a Discovery and the hose from the tappet cover goes into the top of a plastic type bottle (for want of a better discription) on the drivers side guard (front by headlight). Then theres another hose coming out of that goes god knows where ?

Mine doesn't even have the bottle or a space for it up the front as the discovery does.

I tell ya, this is as frustrating as hell.

Thanks for your reply

Athalus78
Bush Crasher

Postby Athalus78 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:27 am

I've got a few ideas but its all for models up to 86.The evaporative loss control system has a bottle style canister but it has 3 lines connected. Cannister to feul tank, cannister purge line, carburetter vent pipe. Again with up to 86.EFI has a habit of being very interwoven. Any vacum line will be needed for something. With out seeing it I can only guess and unless you want to drive to WA that aint happening.I'll ask some questions tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:42 am

If you still have the "barn door" style air flow meter you may need to adjust the mixtures in there .I had this problem once before & that fixed the problem.....kind of frustrating aye
If you need some help 021-493-246...

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”