80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

User avatar
wjw
Hard Yaka
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby wjw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:59 am

Has anyone had any luck with cutting the gasket and rubber seal to do this without dismantling the hub?
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby ChurchurDan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Usually when they are leaking it is the inner axle oil seal leaking diff oil into the swivel ball diluting the grease. Personally I would strip and inspect it just to check.

User avatar
wjw
Hard Yaka
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby wjw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 am

*sigh* It was only two years ago (20,000km's ish) that the we did all the seals, new axles and CV's ... no offroading since then either :-(

Seems to be a regular issue. I guess doing those seals would make sense as it will all be apart.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby mudlva » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:55 pm

wjw wrote:*sigh* It was only two years ago (20,000km's ish) that the we did all the seals, new axles and CV's ... no offroading since then either :-(

Seems to be a regular issue. I guess doing those seals would make sense as it will all be apart.



Didnt you have a bronze bush failure whiles back??
That would of stuffed ya inner seal. Beat you didnt replace it when doing the bush ah??

User avatar
wjw
Hard Yaka
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby wjw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am

mudlva wrote:
wjw wrote:*sigh* It was only two years ago (20,000km's ish) that the we did all the seals, new axles and CV's ... no offroading since then either :-(

Seems to be a regular issue. I guess doing those seals would make sense as it will all be apart.



Didnt you have a bronze bush failure whiles back??
That would of stuffed ya inner seal. Beat you didnt replace it when doing the bush ah??


That wasnt me, but we did replace everything that wears when we did the front end as the oil leak was driving me nuts :-) all OEM too
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby mudlva » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

wjw wrote:
mudlva wrote:
wjw wrote:*sigh* It was only two years ago (20,000km's ish) that the we did all the seals, new axles and CV's ... no offroading since then either :-(

Seems to be a regular issue. I guess doing those seals would make sense as it will all be apart.



Didnt you have a bronze bush failure whiles back??
That would of stuffed ya inner seal. Beat you didnt replace it when doing the bush ah??


That wasnt me, but we did replace everything that wears when we did the front end as the oil leak was driving me nuts :-) all OEM too


K... my bad

So either a bent axle housing or half shaft.

I know its hard to do but try blueing the new seal.
If everything is nice and straight then it may be a case of reshimming the king pins to raise or lower the half axle relasionship to center the axle on to the seal properly.
That is the purpose of the shims

User avatar
wjw
Hard Yaka
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby wjw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:29 am

mudlva wrote:
wjw wrote:
mudlva wrote:

Didnt you have a bronze bush failure whiles back??
That would of stuffed ya inner seal. Beat you didnt replace it when doing the bush ah??


That wasnt me, but we did replace everything that wears when we did the front end as the oil leak was driving me nuts :-) all OEM too


K... my bad

So either a bent axle housing or half shaft.

I know its hard to do but try blueing the new seal.
If everything is nice and straight then it may be a case of reshimming the king pins to raise or lower the half axle relasionship to center the axle on to the seal properly.
That is the purpose of the shims


tbh from what I've read it's likely because I'm part time 4wd. The vibration of the axles in the seal deforms it over time. That problem doesnt happen when its rotating. I guess two years/20K must be that time.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

User avatar
wjw
Hard Yaka
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby wjw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:06 am

Anyone used Marlin Axle Seals on their 80?

530132493_wosmJ-M.jpg
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: 80 Series Swivel housing rear seal - Greasing leaking onto ball

Postby mudlva » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:33 am

Havent seen those seals looks interesting..

Humm re parttime issue. Same set up as 40. 60 and 70 series and they dont leak...
Doneno otherwise

Return to “Toyota”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests