Rear Disk Brake conversion on cruiser

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Rear Disk Brake conversion on cruiser

Postby fweddy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:30 pm

While I have the diff apart on my cruiser and as the axle seal has burst and christened my brake shoes I've decided to do this mod as it appears to be simple and effective. I'm working with a 1985 BJ74 MWB Cruiser with fully floating rear axle. I've been to have a look at Nibz set up and talked to H2O regarding it - thanks guys

I'll do a build thread on it here for anyone considering it and to draw from the experience of others.

So far I am working on a pair of calipers. Have secured a pair of Subaru Leone (1986) calipers but am just waiting to get my hands on them. These have the hand brake included so are a good option.

Also Nibz is going to get me a pair of the custom mounting brackets - he has a pattern made up.

Next main part I need is the rotors. Best to use the same as the front of the cruiser which is also the same as beam axle hilux I understand. If any one is wrecking either a cruiser or hilux and have rotors, let me know. Is there a particular model hilux? 80s through to 90s?

Any other info appreciated. Keen to see what others have done to connect the hand brake up.
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.
Now just a 1994, 1kz Surf, pretty standard.

MATT4U
Hard Yaka

Re: Rear Disk Brake conversion on cruiser

Postby MATT4U » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm

the disks aren't expensive new, infact some wreckers want more for stuffed disks than the price of new ones

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 am

I wouldn't use the thinner hilux rotors. If you wear the pads down to far it could allow the piston to come out of the caliper. I think i paid about 50 bucks per rotor brand new from BnT. At least with the Cruiser ones it'll be the same part on all four corners and an added bonus of not having Hilux parts on your truck :wink: :lol: :lol:
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 am

It seems the IFS surf rotors have been used but need a bit more machining.

Also from what I have discovered the LN106 Hilux (beam) is the same part as cruiser. Lineside guy said he wandered out and got some cruiser ones when he ran out of hilux ones. Can any one confirm or deny? Jase, you indicate they are thinner?

Looked at new prices for rotors (listed incl Gst)

Lineside $106.88 ea
BNT Rangiora $78.75 ea
Toyota Rangiora $162 ea
Repco Rangiora $83 ea
Trade me $75 ea
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Push BNT harder on price. Trade deal this month on ln130 surf is $35 +gst ech.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:56 pm

rokhound wrote:Push BNT harder on price. Trade deal this month on ln130 surf is $35 +gst ech.

Can you access trade prices? - well normally even 'trade' is expensive compared to what tradesmen buy at...

I do have a fellow at a Mazda agency who does trade for me so I might try him after I have confirmed best price elsewhere.

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Just tell them you got the mailer at work and want that price :wink:
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

zookfest
Hard Yaka

Postby zookfest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:25 pm

ive got maxima brakes on my cruisa with handbrake and i couldnt be more happy with it the handbrake works awesome to they are single pot off a 92 maxima.steve at 4wd stuff did mine have replaced pads once in seven months ive had them in
on my 3rd POS 70 cruiser still havent learnt

Death to the competition

mattscruiser
Bush Crasher

Postby mattscruiser » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:51 am

try import parts lichfield st ph 365 7544 0800657544 i got my 80 rear roters for $56 each made in china of course

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 am

mattscruiser wrote:try import parts lichfield st ph 365 7544 0800657544 i got my 80 rear roters for $56 each made in china of course

Thanks - gave them a call - they come in at a shade over $100 ea

mattscruiser
Bush Crasher

Postby mattscruiser » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:38 pm

oh it was a couple of years ago sorry

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 am

Any one else interested in doing this conversion?

I've got a spare pair of callipers (mate bought some for adding disk handbrake to this MU but they don't fit.) PM me if interested in these.

or...

If some one else wants to do this conversion you can follow the contacts I'm putting here or if you are particularly unmotivated - while I'm getting everything together I'm happy to make up a second set for some one else. I've had some one suggest it could all be done for under $400 and I'd say that's about right.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:49 am

This morning I ripped all the drum brakes off and have it ready for the disks to go on as soon as I get parts in hand. Noticed one of the brake shoes was down to the steel :)

Do I need to use the large seal with the flange on it? I figure it is to keep muck out of the drum assembly and hence won't be needed on the disk set up?

Also I'm after one of those philipshead screws that is used to lock the bearing tensioner (heads are visible in the axle housing once halfshaft is pulled out) One was eventually removed with a punch and is quite mutilated so need replacing. They have a std screw thread with a short shaft on the end to lock into the keyed flange. Other wise I might see what I can modify to do the job. Could also do with a keyed flange in better order than one of mine.

FYI - It seems another source of calipers for this mod is maxima series j 30 maxima rear calipers. There is a guy selling a semi floating disk conversion on TM at present and is the second guy I've seen using maxima http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=187513013

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:14 pm

fweddy wrote:...
Looked at new prices for rotors (listed incl Gst)

Lineside $106.88 ea
BNT Rangiora $78.75 ea
Toyota Rangiora $162 ea
Repco Rangiora $83 ea
Trade me $75 ea

Just ordered rotors from my contact at Mazda - $135 pair ($67.50ea incl) so that's the best price I've been able to source.

Also have my caliper mount brackets (thanks Niblik) and will trial fit it all up to see where its going to sit and what needs machining. Then take those parts in to get worked on while I'm away for a week so should be ready to assemble when I get back. Hope to have this and other work done by mid Dec.

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:14 pm

I might be barking up the wrong tree because I dont know how the cruiser setup is with the semi floating axle.

With a hilux there is too much side movement when you fit discs and it requires shims to made to remove a lot of the side play otherwise you end up with a soft petal.

Just a thought in case they are the same.

Richard
Never say die, up man and try

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:29 am

Working with full floating Richard - will see what we discover when I get it together! You never know what new saga is around the bend. I'm working partly by faith in the fact it has been done a number of times before and partly by a sense of adventure!

Got one of my hubs/discs completed being machined. The inner hole of the disc has to be taken out to fit over the hub and the outer rim of the hub needs to be taken down quite a bit to fit in the disc. As Tim mentions in Pete's thread this now becomes a custom part and not so interchangable with other factory parts.

It now fits together well

Just waiting on the calliper brackets being modified a little to suit then can start assembly. And will need to organise new connections for the brake and hand brake, any one who has done this - I would appreciate any tips as to how you have modified the front back movement of the Subaru hand brake arm to the crossways cable of the cruiser.

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby Genie4x4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Make sure you put in a larger master cylinder, when i did mine I couldnt get enough pressure from the original, if you have lifted it have you adjusted lengthened the weight compensator for the rear brakes?
Mine was done with hilux rotors, leone calipers and once it had all the niggles out it did awesome handbrake slides on 33s, we considered falcon calipers but they don't like mud.

I also extended brake hoses and handbrake cable at the same time as I had drop shackles on the rear.

Those that dont want a challenge some of the 73/74 series with the 4.2s in them came out stock standard with rear discs and its only a swap over job.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Not lifted so that side of things should be ok

Have run into trouble with brackets not in a suitable position. The handbrake mech is right in line to foul when the the axle articulates and meets the bump stop...

Genie4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby Genie4x4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 pm

my brakes were right at the top, i didnt fit them. handbrake cable was two into one with a metal bracket, have a look at a wreckers on cars for the parts.

Not sure but can you reverse and put calipers on opposite side of truck should put handbrake at rear of axle then

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:29 pm

My father had just finished kitting out his new toy (hiace) this evening so I grabbed him and we went and crouched beside the cruiser for a while holding bits here and there and reckon we have come up with a way we can do it by shifting the callipers to the top-front and modding the hand brake linkage. Will run twin short cables.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Spent most of today on fitting my disk conversion. Took most of the morning to do the first side and a couple of hours for the other :)

I got all my parts machined while I've been away for a week or so and picked them up on Friday but was still busy modding them more with the grinders and files

Here are the brackets that have been machined to mount properly.

They needed a little modding and after being painted I fitted them

And finally by the end of the day had every thing lined up and fitting nicely - few hours between these photos.
Image.

Just need to link up my brake line and hand brake. Brake line should be pretty straight forward.

Have two options for hand brake.
Split hand brake cable into two under floor and tuck them up along floor and curve down behind and under diff to connect to the linkages in their current location. or
Modify the the linkages and run two shorter cables in a curve. But might end up close to muffler.
Image.

Who is a good person in Canty to help out with the hoses and cables?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:48 pm

fweddy wrote:
Here are the brackets that have been machined to mount properly.

The stepped bit goes where? Is it a bearing retainer or just so it sits on the axle tube better?

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Heath wrote:The stepped bit goes where? Is it a bearing retainer or just so it sits on the axle tube better?

So it sits over the lip on the axle flange.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Have run into a problem and need some wisdom.

Today I got a couple of small brake hoses to connect my callipers to the existing brake lines - work perfect so now its all plumbed up and ready to bleed but...

I can't get a pedal!

I'm getting straight fluid coming out the bleeders on all four corners. The peddle has a little pressure and then hits a hard sport. When we bleed the front that hard spot gives way. When the hard spot is reached it locks the front up but am getting no response from the back at all. pedal right down no braking but also no peddle?

I thought the piston might be stuck but that can't be the problem as, first, I should still get pressure and, when I actuate the hand brake lever it locks up.

other thoughts are that I'm getting a leak some where but there is no evidence of a leak.

One thought that did come to me is that the callipers are mounted further around the disk than their original position. This means the bleeder is not at the highest point - is that likely to be an issue?

Am aiming to get this mobile this week so any assistance appreciated.
Last edited by fweddy on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jezza
Hard Yaka

Postby Jezza » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:27 pm

fweddy wrote:Who is a good person in Canty to help out with the hoses and cables?

Diggers brake and cable is a good place for custom brake lines and cables, they're in hornby on haswell junction rd
Isuzu Mu 3.1TD

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

If bleed nipple is not at the highest point you will have air in your calipers. Looking at your photos it looks like you could swap calipers from left side to right and that would put nipples at the top, not sure how this would affect your hand brake set up though.
Or can you rotate your bracket back one bolt to set bleed nipple at the top?

Kiwimidi
Driver/Navigator

Postby Kiwimidi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Smurf wrote:If bleed nipple is not at the highest point you will have air in your calipers. Looking at your photos it looks like you could swap calipers from left side to right and that would put nipples at the top, not sure how this would affect your hand brake set up though.

this is correct had the same problem once on a safari after rebuilding the front diff and refitting the brakes we couldn't get pedal. got the brake expert round and the first thing he noticed was that the bleed valves were at the bottom..... we had put the calipers on the wrong sides this changed it all worked fine.

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Jezza wrote:Diggers brake and cable is a good place for custom brake lines and cables, they're in hornby on haswell junction rd

Thanks - Got my hoses from Safe R Brakes but they can't help with cables so might try Diggers.

Smurf wrote:If bleed nipple is not at the highest point you will have air in your calipers. Looking at your photos it looks like you could swap calipers from left side to right and that would put nipples at the top, not sure how this would affect your hand brake set up though.

Can't rotate back as that fouls the hand brake

Could try swapping side to side - not as ideal for the hand brake (hence why I chose this position) but might be worth a try)

Or is it possible to do some other fancy bleeding technique?? (pressure etc?)

Kiwimidi
Driver/Navigator

Postby Kiwimidi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 pm

fweddy wrote:[
Or is it possible to do some other fancy bleeding technique?? (pressure etc?)

not sure if it would work but unbolt them and slide the caliper round till the nipple is up then bleed them and put them back. would be a bit of a hassel with the handbrake attached and might be a bit hard cracking the nipple. worth a try though

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 pm

can you take the rotor and caliper off your diff without removing brake line? If so rotate so bleed nipple is at the top, with the rotor still fitted into the caliper then bleed and refit. A bit of a rangi idea but would get rid of your air bubble.
Bleed nipples must be at the top to remove air as the trapped air will always sit at the highest point inside the caliper

Return to “Toyota”