Problem with vehicle certification

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Problem with vehicle certification

Postby Diorama » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 pm

The Saga. The last two times that I have been for a warrant check the guy said my vehicle was 100mm too low and I needed to get it recertified. Now it had a 6" suspension lift kit fitted and was certified(in 2005) before I bought it and has passed its warrants every time since then. The cert plate under the bonnet has the measurements on it and sure enough the vehicle is 100mm low. There is no way this vehicle would have been certed with a 10" suspension lift so the only thing I can think of is that the suspension has sagged 4" (I don't think so)or the measurements on the plate are incorrect. What do people recommend I do as I shouldn't have to pay to have it recertified due to the incompetence of the certifiers or the system. The other thing I could do is raise it another 4" and drive around in an unsafe vehicle (but at least I could get a warrant and probably fit 40" tyres). Your thoughts

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Re: Problem with vehicle certification

Postby muddyhilux » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 pm

where is the warrent guy measuring it from is my first thort?has he got that right?
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Yea from the centre of the wheel hub to the bottom of the guard.

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

sweet,next thing im thinking is did it once have guards which were cut giving the measurement 100mm xtra clearance?if not then yeh,must have been error but then again they normally are pretty good,any chance of tracking down original certifyer?they would have hard copys explaining exactly how it was lifted,springs,coil spacers,what ever it may be,u could get a copy of that and shove it in wof guys fae,that or take it somewhere else :lol:
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Guards are all original and I would say never been touched. The vehicle was imported from australia with all the mods done and certified in NZ. Nothing has been done too it since. It seems strange that it is exactly 100mm out. People in industries that use tape measures alot would understand that magic 100mm out. I can't really blame the warrant guy as he can only go by the information on the cert plate. Although common sense should suggest that if it was a 10" lift you would need a step ladder to get into it and a parachute to get out it and it would be extremely unstable on the road. I would love to raise it another 4" and take it back and tell him to put a warrant on it.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:46 pm

What sort of truck is it?? I have some 100mm coil spacers you could stick in it and take it back to him for a laugh :lol: :lol:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:49 pm

DieselBoy wrote:What sort of truck is it?? I have some 100mm coil spacers you could stick in it and take it back to him for a laugh :lol: :lol:

VX like yours but a little higher :wink:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:02 pm

You still awake wopass. I'm stuck at work. Yea as you said its an 80series VX.

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:14 am

I'd say the plate was never right in the first place. My plate is wrong and says I have IFS which is totally wrong as I have a solid axle .The Cert guy saw it before he fitted the plate but I told him dont worry and fit the plate it so it still reads wrong.

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:25 am

I'm curious to know what the measurements are that are listed on the cert plate

I would like to know, so I can go measure mine to see just how high you have to make it

SKID
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:10 am

Can you put up a photo of your VIN Plate, to show how the wording is embosed on it?.
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Tried taking a photo of it but the wording on it is too small to read. The wording on it is
Raised suspn /755mm F 770 R + or - 5%.
I took some acurate measurements today and the front and rear are between 690 and 700mm. So its not 100mm out but it is outside the 5% allowance. Could the suspension sag that amount. What steps do you think I should take as I don't want to be wondering everytime I go for a warrant. I also suspect that if I had an accident it could be an out for the insurance company. I know that the vehicle has not been altered since it was certed so it has to be a mistake. The warrant guy also queried me on my wheels. The cert plate says they are 16.5x12 all around but I have changed them to 16x10 so I can get tyres. They are exactly the same brand and style of rim that were on there when certed. I'm running slightly smaller tyres than what were on there ( gone from 36's to 35's)but that wouldn't alter the measurement that is used for the suspension height.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:08 pm

ran outside and measured mine

factory, but most probably sagged after 300,000 km

roughly about 500mm front and rear
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:15 pm

If I compared it too yours. You would need to raise yours about 10" to meet what my cert plate says. There is no way it was ever that high.

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:10 pm

They can look up on the computer and see a full list of what exactly got certified and sometimes the printers are just retards and put the wrong thing on the plate, maybe ask him to double check. Or just go to another place

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 am

The spings I had in the front gave 120mm lift when the cert was done. They are supposed to settle to 100mm. So they could have settled... if mine were expected to settle by 20% then if yours were that would make the drop 30mm, plus if you've added any extra weight at the front end, bashplates, winch, bumper, bull bars etc it can all add up.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 pm

just a rough guess but your warrent man is an arsehole if its lower its not a problem because its still above manufactures heights but lower than the modification height which is safer as it has a cert plate to say you can make it higher than it is at the present .......... if that makes sense, problem is the way each warrent man interprets the legislation

some dont have common sense :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my 2c rik

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 am

Unfortunatly my cert plate gives the height + or - 5% so the warrant guys argument is that its outside the 5%. Technically he is right but realistically your right he is an ^#&^$$ and common sense should prevail. Its obviously a mistake on the cert plate as there is no way it ever had a 10" lift. I'm in the process of finding out who did the cert as I don't like paying for other peoples incompetence. I know it was done in Auckland somewhere so will keep you posted on the outcome.

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:45 am

This issue has reard its ugly head again. Had no issues getting a warrant since 2009. The guy I used for warrants has now sold his business.
I've pretty much decided to get it recerted. Where would people recommend to go for a 4x4 cert. I live in Hamilton. Don't mind taking it out of town for cert if needed. Also I know I will need to do a brake upgrade. Any suggestions. I already have the later model disc's as when the lift was done the later model front and rear axles were used. Want to make the brakes really really good.
Just to clarify I have a 1990 80 series.

Return to “Toyota”