R 151 TRANSPLANT ISSUES

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

R 151 TRANSPLANT ISSUES

Postby CORROLUX » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:52 am

HAVE A 91 HILUX D CAB RUNNING A 3L AND IT'S G52 GEARBOX SPAT SO I BOUGHT A LINESIDE AUTOMOTIVE R 151, 3L BELLHOUSING AND ALSO A TRANSFER BOX THAT WAS INTENDED TO FIT IT

THAT WAS EARLY DECEMBER LAST YEAR AND AFTER DRAGGING THE CHAIN FOR AGES I MADE A START ONLY YESTERDAY

SO FAR:

-I CAN'T GET THE T CASE ONTO THE MAIN BOX OUTPUT SHAFT- I THINK THE JOINING TUBE'S TOO SMALL (SEE BELOW)

-DUNNO YET WHETHER THE INPUT SHAFT SPLINES (HAVEN'T COUNTED EM YET) ON THE G52 AND R151 MATCH UP, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE MEASURES OUT TO BE THE SAME

-HOPING THE X MEMBER FROM THE G52 WORKS ON THE R151 SETUP :-/

-NO IDEA WOT THE R 151 RATIOS ARE WOTEVER THEY ARE WILL HAV 2 DO I SPOSE

-THE ONLY IDENTIFYING WRITING ON THE BOXES WAS:
MAIN BOX - 1035 GM STAMPED ON FRONT CASE
- 1035 STAMPED ON REAR CASE WITH THE STICKS IN IT
- GLN 130 WRITTEN IN PAINT PEN

T CASE - W 628 / 130 ON A HANDWRITTEN LABEL
- 13 IN BLUE PAINT PEN WRITTEN ON THE T CASE

BELL HOUSING - LN 130 HANDWRITTEN
- W990 HANDWRITTEN

ACTION SO FAR:

TUBE PROBLEM.......IT LOOKS LIKE THE INTERNALLY SPLINED TUBE STUCK TO THE T CASE IS 4 MM OR SO TOO SMALL FOR THE MAIN BOX REAR OUTPUT SPLINE. T CASE LOOKS GOOD FOR BOLT UP OTHERWISE EXCEPT THE APARRENT ISSUE WITH THE TUBE. I MAY OF COURSE BE JUST NO GOOD AT PUTTING MY THING IN THE HOLE BUT I'M FAIRLY SURE I DID MY BEST! :-)

BECOS I COULDN'T GET THE VERNIERS AT THE OUTPUT SHAFT, I RESORTED TO CUTTING A SMALL SQUARE OF PAPER AND PUTTING IT "DOWN THE HOLE" ONTO THE OUTPUT SHAFT AND RUBBING IT INTO A SORT OF OILY FINGERED TRACING - AFTER 3 GOES AT THAT I GOT 1 I COULD FINALLY CALL CLOSE ENUF FOR A SPLINE COUNT AND ROUGH MEASUREMENT WITH VERNIERS HENCE THE ESTIMATED 4MM OR SO SIZE DIFFERENCE.

MAIN BOX OUTPUT PAPER TRACE RESULT WAS - 23 SPLINES (SUBJECT TO 100% SURE COUNT)
- 32 MM OUTSIDE DIAMETER BEST ESTIMATE FROM BIT OF PAPER

T CASE TUBE - 28.2MM MAX. INSIDE DIAMETER (SPLINE TROUGHS)
- TUBE O.D. 37.58MM

- MAIN BOX TO T CASE SEAL POSITION THAT THE TUBE SITS AGAINST - 40.5MM

I KNOW THAT ALOT OF THESE R 151'S HAD THE CHAIN DRIVEN T CASE AND WITH THIS ONE I'M TRYING TO PUT A GEAR IDLER T CASE UP IT, SO THAT COULD BE THE REASON FOR THE 4MM DIFFERENCE...

HAS ANY1 ELSE STRUCK OR HEARD OF THIS TOO I THINK THE "PROPER" WAY 2 DO IT MIGHT BE TO CHANGE EITHER THE MAIN BOX OUTPUT OR TRANS BOX INPUT SO IT'S A CORRECT MATCH BUT THERES A BIT IN THAT AND THERE MAY BE A SIMPLER WAY

ANY IDEAS? THE TUBE PROB IS THE BIGGEST STOP SO FAR

j_tomo
Hard Yaka

Re: R 151 TRANSPLANT ISSUES

Postby j_tomo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm

your talking about the internaly splined sleeve arnt you
ill be facing this isue soon- ive got a chain driven one
whats transfer are you trying to put in it?
have you got both splined tubes?
any engineer should be able to cut them in half and join them together

got them both done and ill by the other 1 lol
jeremy

j_tomo
Hard Yaka

Postby j_tomo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:37 pm

also typing in caps lock isnt a good look :P

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

Postby CORROLUX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:45 pm

yes thats right although i only have 1 tube and it's on the transfer case at the moment, the paint pen writing on the t case says it's from a ln 130 which i'm trusting is correct however i don't know what model vehcile the main box was in

i could do the engineer thing or more difficult but theoretically doable, change either the main box output to match if i could find 1 that'l work or do the same on the t case and find another tube

it all looks like a bit of horsing round tho (but i'll do it if theres no other way i guess :-) ) so i'm hoping i can find a t case in good enuf order that might botl straight on

work in progress cheers for that fella- Tamati

j_tomo
Hard Yaka

Postby j_tomo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 pm

i got my r150f from a ln130, chain driven transfer electric 4wd selector ect
some one here will know what the gear types come out in
then you should be able to find a sleeve maybe gen toyota?

if you did get it welded youd want it done right- imagine snapping it up the bush= no drive

could also sell it and buy a w56 factory gear type (ive got one) from what ive read there stronger than a g52

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I think the R series box has a different input shaft spline count that the W and G series, might not be correct but that's what I had heard.

Also I thought that the V6 had the chain drive case which is I think the R150F and the diesel had the R151F which is gear driven.

Matt.

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

Postby CORROLUX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Mattman wrote:I think the R series box has a different input shaft spline count that the W and G series, might not be correct but that's what I had heard.

Also I thought that the V6 had the chain drive case which is I think the R150F and the diesel had the R151F which is gear driven.

Matt.

probably all wot u said is right but also a workmate of mine has a early 90s shape surf 2.4 diesel (2lt-e motor) and theres a r151f and a chain t case behind it from the factory, the surfs definetly no later than 93 - i've forgotten what xact year his 1 is but i got a bittiva surprise to see it in there and read the firewall tag confirming the numbers, i didn't think they had them that early - i told him his must've been the bees knees one when it was new - unlike now with all its dents and young bloke mess in it! :lol:

Kinda funny how i found out about his 1 although it wasn't for him for a few minutes :-) - he approached me in a bit of a panic, thinking he'd contaminated his gearbox and run it out of oil simultaneously- he'd heard i was horsin round with my hilux box and wanted to see if i could shed any light on his predicament - turns out he was ok, he'd just removed the tranfer case stick and got a shock when he saw no oil and a bit of dirt in the void space between the main and transfer boxes :? phew for him! to be fair tho i'd have been scratchin me head a for a while and theorising all the way home if i hant had the benefit of seeing one in bits already cheers

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

Postby CORROLUX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm

j_tomo wrote:i got my r150f from a ln130, chain driven transfer electric 4wd selector ect
some one here will know what the gear types come out in
then you should be able to find a sleeve maybe gen toyota?

if you did get it welded youd want it done right- imagine snapping it up the bush= no drive

could also sell it and buy a w56 factory gear type (ive got one) from what ive read there stronger than a g52

yeah that's wots driving my hope for the shaft switching idea, i can't see how u could avoid ruining the temper and hardening status of the tubes + i got no idea wot metal mix the tubes are in order to get the right electrode or wot process to follow to re set the temper and hardness etc

Re w56 - definetly tougher than a g52 (i think the w boxes were the "celica boxes" people were successfully putting behind big v8s when i was at school in the 90's) + i'd swear a fiat bambina has a stronger box than a g52 also !
I had considered the w series as a complete swap tho, i actually had one from an 88 surf i wrecked but the sicks were requiring the hole in the trans tunnel to be moved along 70mm or so and i couldn't be bothered with that and i didn't know wot w # it was cos the trucks tags were gone. i been led to think the r151 is a r154 with internals slightly less strong so i opted away from the w series and decided to commit to a r151 come hell or high water - that way if i kill or sell the 3l and go lexus/buick, the box is already in

Return to “Toyota”