80 Series interior water leak... Go on Tu's, Laugh...

xj
Hard Yaka

Re: 80 Series interior water leak... Go on Tu's, Laugh...

Postby xj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 pm

yeah Pete, I was toying with the idea of just drilling another hole and being done with it. However, waters still gunna run somewhere and over something to get to the hole and insodoing potentially cause some other issues. Figures fixing its probably a better way to go.

Still havent found a solution for the odd water appearance on the drivers side.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Digging up an old thread,

I have a water leak that appears to becoming down the D pillar and pooling in the bottom of it and then spilling into the rear wheel arch area. Any issues found to do with the D pillar? I have pulled everything that can be and resealed, now wondering if water is spraying up from the road and coming in under maybe where panels join?
"If it ain't V8, take it back"
Warning: Opinions and Expressions may offend.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 am

gary_in_nz wrote:Digging up an old thread,

I have a water leak that appears to becoming down the D pillar and pooling in the bottom of it and then spilling into the rear wheel arch area. Any issues found to do with the D pillar? I have pulled everything that can be and resealed, now wondering if water is spraying up from the road and coming in under maybe where panels join?

I have that problem too, haven't found the leak yet.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am

Yeah me either and getting annoyed as was planing on doing a bit of work to the old girl but if this persists might be getting a trade in on a Patrol!
I have resealed the window trim chrome strips, the spare wheel hinge bolts, the side trim on the truck that have dowels that go through the body panel, the flare clips and screws, the side vents by the top side windows, the tail lights, done the right hand vertical side of the rear door seal but thinking i might have to do the whole lot, done every nut and bolt for the gas strut and door catches.

Another couple of options are the top door hinge area maybe or reading other forums around some say the roof panel becomes separated in the guttering along the truck but so far mine looks ok. when the weather clears i will get under the truck and have a good look in that area, have to pull exhaust out the way for a good inspection.

I cant think of what else would be causing it to get inside the D pillar.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 am

Has it got the slide rear windows?
When they get old and not cleaned where the window slides they start rusting and swelling inside window frame
Patrols do it too :wink:
My last 80 had a leaky rear slide window and would leak down into bottom of rear quater

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 am

Lchundy wrote:Has it got the slide rear windows?
When they get old and not cleaned where the window slides they start rusting and swelling inside window frame
My last 80 had a leaky rear slide window and would leak down into bottom of rear quater

Its got the solid windows. The water is actually inside the structure of the D pillar then it spills into the quarter panel. The only bit leaking around the windows was the chrome strip at the bottom the window that clips through the body panel, seems the little rubber gaskets get perished and most the bits that clip through the panel.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 am

gary_in_nz wrote:
Lchundy wrote:Has it got the slide rear windows?

Its got the solid windows. The water is actually inside the structure of the D pillar then it spills into the quarter panel. The only bit leaking around the windows was the chrome strip at the bottom the window that clips through the body panel, seems the little rubber gaskets get perished and most the bits that clip through the panel.

Mine has solid windows too, I suspect the roof gutters, as they have some sort of rubber goo on them to help seal them which has been damaged from various roof racks over time. Wondering if water has got underneath, havent the time to try and get it off and re-seal. (wife tells me house is more important)

The side windows have been removed, panels repaired, re-sealed and painted. So on mine at least it won't be those.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

PedRac3r
Driver/Navigator

Postby PedRac3r » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 pm

My 80 did leak from D pillar also, both sides, would fill the rear quarters and boot carpet would get wet. Pulled the external trim off the cabin vents and re-sealed around the vents where they sit against the chassis. You could see pretty easily the double sided seal tape was no longer sealing and allowing water to run down the pillar and behind the vent and inside.

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 pm

PedRac3r wrote:My 80 did leak from D pillar also, both sides, would fill the rear quarters and boot carpet would get wet. Pulled the external trim off the cabin vents and re-sealed around the vents where they sit against the chassis. You could see pretty easily the double sided seal tape was no longer sealing and allowing water to run down the pillar and behind the vent and inside.

Have also done this, am hoping i have it sorted now as there was a perished looking rubber bulk head fitting in the bottom of the right quarter panel that the trailer loom ran through, so have sealed that as it is the last thing i can think of so waiting on a rainy day and go driving!!

Return to “Toyota”