80 Series interior water leak... Go on Tu's, Laugh...

xj
Hard Yaka

80 Series interior water leak... Go on Tu's, Laugh...

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:06 pm

As the title suggests, my interiors a little wet.

1) Passengers side, water is pooling in the chanel along with the wiring loom. It seems to be tracking down the loom. I have removed the bung, but it doesnt stop club med being created. Yes Ive been all over the net. Ive run wire down the sunroof drains, and even pulled the bottom drain pipe into the vehicle (that sits behind the kick panel) and watched the water flow out. Ive watched the water from the sunroof drains come out under the B pillar. Ive removed the bung from under the chanel (that them overseas seem to call "rocker covers") and watched the water flow out under the A pillar. Cant see how its got anything to do with the sunroof drains.

So, ran a few bottles of water in the air vents under the windscreen, water drained out the wheelwell behing the tyre, as im led to believe it should. Took the little bung out of there too just for shits and giggles incase something else does block up in future..... so it aint that.

Sat in the thing with the hose running on the roof, and can find no means of ingress.... yet there it sits.....

Anyone got any bright ideas, aside from Tus saying "told ya told ya nah nah nah na na"

2) Drivers side. Water on floor mat, dash at the fuse cover beside the steering wheel, on the doorcard and on the window controls. Its got a monsoon shield fitted. Ran the wire down the sunroof drain on the drivers side also, water seems to flow out the bottom fine. Again, sat in the fekr with the hose on the roof and nothing, not a bloody drop.

Anyone.... anyone.....
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Re: 80 Series interior water leak... Go on Tu's, Laugh...

Postby WRNGLR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 pm

hey XJ , Greg here bud , you've probably checked already but what condition are your door seal rubbers in. Have caught water sneaking in there on the TJ some times, completely different vehicle I know but ya never know
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Sunroof drains maybe?
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Dunno where my last reply went.....

Greg.. door seals appear in good nick. Theres a 10-odd mm gap on each end of the seals, that Ive concentrated water on (esp the front one as thats adjacent to the handle, window controllers etc) to no avail.

On both sides Ive concentrated water on the panel joins, gutter esp on the A pillar, air vents, windscreen seals (windscreen has been replaced, but seals seem good, albeit a little messily done) sun roof drains, and yet cant replicate the leaks.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:46 pm

xj wrote:As the title suggests, my interiors a little wet.

1) Passengers side, water is pooling in the chanel along with the wiring loom. It seems to be tracking down the loom. I have removed the bung, but it doesnt stop club med being created. Yes Ive been all over the net. Ive run wire down the sunroof drains, and even pulled the bottom drain pipe into the vehicle (that sits behind the kick panel) and watched the water flow out. Ive watched the water from the sunroof drains come out under the B pillar. Ive removed the bung from under the chanel (that them overseas seem to call "rocker covers") and watched the water flow out under the A pillar. Cant see how its got anything to do with the sunroof drains.

So, ran a few bottles of water in the air vents under the windscreen, water drained out the wheelwell behing the tyre, as im led to believe it should. Took the little bung out of there too just for shits and giggles incase something else does block up in future..... so it aint that.

Sat in the thing with the hose running on the roof, and can find no means of ingress.... yet there it sits.....

Anyone got any bright ideas, aside from Tus saying "told ya told ya nah nah nah na na"

2) Drivers side. Water on floor mat, dash at the fuse cover beside the steering wheel, on the doorcard and on the window controls. Its got a monsoon shield fitted. Ran the wire down the sunroof drain on the drivers side also, water seems to flow out the bottom fine. Again, sat in the fekr with the hose on the roof and nothing, not a bloody drop.

Anyone.... anyone.....

does it have aircond? if so the drain for it may be blocked, or the housing it sits in cracked, that will condensate/ice when running and then thaw out when you get out of the truck, failing that, drill a hole to let water out :)
or stick to ya rover :)

pedro

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 pm

xj wrote:Dunno where my last reply went.....

Greg.. door seals appear in good nick. Theres a 10-odd mm gap on each end of the seals, that Ive concentrated water on (esp the front one as thats adjacent to the handle, window controllers etc) to no avail.

On both sides Ive concentrated water on the panel joins, gutter esp on the A pillar, air vents, windscreen seals (windscreen has been replaced, but seals seem good, albeit a little messily done) sun roof drains, and yet cant replicate the leaks.

Bugger if you're anything like me , thaty'll be drivin you insane , have lost count how many times the TJ has had a good couple of inches on the floor after a down pour, may have it sussed now tho,

good luck with search mate, apart from the aircon idea from pedro I'm stumped

cheers
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Pedro wrote:
does it have aircond? if so the drain for it may be blocked, or the housing it sits in cracked, that will condensate/ice when running and then thaw out when you get out of the truck, failing that, drill a hole to let water out :)
or stick to ya rover :)

pedro

no Aircon bud.

Rover's all good, progress is being made. however it will never be on a "road" again...

Image Image Image
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I had something similar on my 70 series...
There is a horizontal joint on the fire wall..
The sealant had dried up and cracked...
Being double skinned it let water in slowly which tracked thru to the joint between the fire wall and the door frame...
It then tracked down and used to pool on the floor...
When I did my injector pump change. I took off the guard for access and also looked for my leak....And found the cracked sealant joints.
I also noticed there is a joint at the top of the door frame where the wind shield frame and vents meet... It was cracked too... so dug it out and re sealed....No more leaks !!!
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Hiya Calvin,

Theres a "feature" on the 80 series firewall apparently that has a couple of slots in the top, and a hole/bung in the bottom at the rear of the inner guard. The top slot apparently act as water catchers, esp if the bungs are in the hole at the bottom. Water gathers, rusts through the join and leaky leak leak.

I popped the bungs out of the holes today, and they came out dry... no water build up. Might still end up pulling off the guards to check anyway.

Have just read that the wiper stem seals can perish and crack allowing water in there. Might be something else to look at.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:41 pm

not a leaky heater is it like the prados suffer from?

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Heath wrote:not a leaky heater is it like the prados suffer from?

yeah, nah, dunno. Its been suggested that the heater core could be buggered. 1) If its the heater is it likely to leak when not running, ie overnight? 2) Is it likely to leak water? I would have thought it would leak coolant and my swimming pool is definatlely pure 100% water.

there is no water on the floorpan itself, nothing on the firewall... only in the channel under the wiring loom. This is for the passengers side issue.

Theres apparently another spot in the sunroofs where they can leak and track down the A pillar, seperate from the drain pipe. Its at a screw hole that can be a problem. Something else to look at tomorrow. (this one effects the hood lining though.. and I dont have water there... but still, best to have a look)
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:15 pm

One of the many problems I had on my 80 too. Found it easier to sell :mrgreen: Have you taken to a windscreen outfit to test the seals?
Was damn sure mine was in the sunroof, even though I couldnt prove it. How about sealing the sunroof with silicon etc to narrow it down?

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29 pm

DaveM wrote:One of the many problems I had on my 80 too. Found it easier to sell :mrgreen: Have you taken to a windscreen outfit to test the seals?
Was damn sure mine was in the sunroof, even though I couldnt prove it. How about sealing the sunroof with silicon etc to narrow it down?

LOL yeah. Contemplating a move to the Far North, If so ill ditch the 80 and take the ZJ up. Wont be needing a tow waka if Im up there.

Havent done anything with it re taking it to windscreen guys. Ive had the carpet up for a little while now and Its been ok until sitting out in the torrential and continuous rain we had here overnight and today. Picking i might run a bead around the windscreen, in the panel joins and around the sunroof surround. A tad rangi I know, but hey...
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 pm

I ended up just taping the sunroof, and sealing it completely, just to see if thats where it was coming from. Sold it before I found out, but we've done this to other vehicles, as, if it's not the problem, it's 5mins work to remove the tape, if it is, you can look foward to spending big $$$ on a seal kit (which includes the glass)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 pm

DaveM wrote:I ended up just taping the sunroof, and sealing it completely, just to see if thats where it was coming from. Sold it before I found out, but we've done this to other vehicles, as, if it's not the problem, it's 5mins work to remove the tape, if it is, you can look foward to spending big $$$ on a seal kit (which includes the glass)

Oh joyous YAY!!!
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm

xj wrote:
DaveM wrote:I ended up just taping the sunroof, and sealing it completely, just to see if thats where it was coming from. Sold it before I found out, but we've done this to other vehicles, as, if it's not the problem, it's 5mins work to remove the tape, if it is, you can look foward to spending big $$$ on a seal kit (which includes the glass)

Oh joyous YAY!!!

Grumpy starting to look good again aye mate, you would have had all it's quirks sorted by now atleast

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 am

does it have factory roof rails/rack?, there are seals underneath these which sometimes perish, check also around the door frame for bubbling rust .... it runs down the seal into the body onto the floor.
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:54 am

nope, no roof rack
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 am

WRNGLR wrote:
xj wrote:

Oh joyous YAY!!!

Grumpy starting to look good again aye mate, you would have had all it's quirks sorted by now atleast

Yup, should never have gotten rid of Grumpy.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 am

Check the gutter where the roof join is. Sometimes these split and the water can run down the inside rail then down the front pillar.
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

Munks1
Driver/Navigator

Postby Munks1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am

As has been suggested before, check out the firewall to front inner guard mounts.
Its a notorious problem that every 80 owner should be aware of and check regularily. Expensive fix if you ignore it!
Here is a link to the design problem

http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=831

Ive got water in my drivers foot well so im hunting for a leak as well.
I have read somewhere (cant find the thread) that the sunroof drains can become blocked. They drain through a hose down the A pillar and run behind the kick panel in the foot wells. If they are clogged the water runs down the outside of the tube into the foot wells.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Danjr
Hard Yaka

Postby Danjr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am

Interesting thread since I have the same problem on mine (water in the passengers side channel). I recently had it in the drivers side channel after going through a couple of inches of water in a stream, worked out that the '80 series feature' of placing a water catcher between the firewall and inner guard had rusted a hole straight through and water was flicking off the tyre and through the firewall and down into the channel. Pulled the outter and inner guard off both the drivers and passengers side and had the steel replaced by my pannelbeater. Doing all the labour pulling the panels off myself saved me a heap. BTW - there was no water sitting in the catcher, it had rusted all around it where the curtain joins onto it in the firewall. Fun.

Anyway, back to the passengers side. Mine had a heap of water in the channel, so much so that it has run under the carpet on the floor pan (both front and back). Pulled the bungs and drained it. But I also noticed it was wet up around the rear wheel arch behind the rear seat which is higher than the channel and so leads me to believe its coming in around there somewhere. I had rust fixed in my rear side windows a while ago so not sure where it coming in. More fun.

Dan

Danjr
Hard Yaka

Postby Danjr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Okay so I got all motivated and went out in my lunch break to find my leak.Ripped out the rear shelves (what a mission) but found the leak to be the rear side window. Water is running down the inside of the rubber seal and dripping down on the rear wheel arch then making its way forward and eventually down to the passengers side channel. As I said, I had them done for rust about two years ago so maybe the rubber is not sealing or the steel has rusted out I guess.

Another trip to the panebeater I guess. Might be worth a look on yours.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Might have the bugger sorted..... After drying it all last night, I woke this morning to find the channel full again. Having relocated the sunroof drain pipe from insite the body cavity, I could delete that from being a suspect. Other times when I've run the water over, I've done it with the door open, so I could hold the hose and watch at the same time. This arvo I sat in there and had my young fella go for it with the hose on the outside..........

Hopefully the following pictures are easy enough to follow:

I'll put some sealant over the offending areas and see what happens. Wont be putting the carpet down just yet just in case its more than one issue.

It certainly explains why there's no wet roof lining, no sign of water on the inside firewall/footwell and how its getting past the drainhole.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm

xj wrote:(windscreen has been replaced, but seals seem good, albeit a little messily done) .

seems to be common with windscreen replacement people, they are fcuking useless!! i had mine done in nelson while away on holiday due to massive crack/stone chip from a rock chucking truck, told the guy of the dramas i had last time with messy job, roof lining not in and scratches and goo left every where etc etc, so i go to pick it up and hes done just as shit a job as the last crowd!! :shock: told him what his skills were and told him to do it again and ring me when it was done to MY satisfaction... cant do anything about the big gouges in the paint but the glass was done again and was...ok'ish? fcuking useless shiteaters :evil: .... rant rant rant

anywho, the windscreen rubber might be sealed around the glass but not the panels, only leaks in when driving or windy pushing the water up under. they havea to soft seal the rubber to the panels not just the glass.

just a thought ohh and the aerial wires bung on the side in the wheel arch area might be leaking in also when driving,
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm

xj wrote:
The water is running past your rubber, either a new rubber or adjusting the door should help. The door pins worn? door dropped/hard to shut at all? Same thing happens with Safaris/Navaras.

Another thing, youve probably thought of is do you park on a angled drive? pays to park it differently until fixed. :D
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm

woppity.... "fukn useless shiteaters"??!!! now.. cmon... let it out... there there now....

juz... yup, ill do that on the weekend as I'll need to change its spot anyway to get to the bonnet properly to change the wiper blades, I hear theyre a real biartch.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Munks1
Driver/Navigator

Postby Munks1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:07 am

Cheers for the pics, xj.
Checked my sunroof drains and firewall yesterday and they all OK. So ill checkout the areas you highlighted today. Good work!

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Not all windscreen guys are "useless shiteaters" But i have to agree there are some retards doing it. All sweet though cause they make me look good :wink: 8) :lol:
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Cheers for the uploaded pix and diagrams xj.
I got a leak on the drivers side too. After looking hard for it with no joy I thought of just putting a drain hole in the floor. Fixed. :lol:

Return to “Toyota”