Rear axel bearing puller?? hilux, hilux surf

callumb
Bush Crasher

Rear axel bearing puller?? hilux, hilux surf

Postby callumb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 pm

anyone know of anyone that can sell me a hilux rear axel bearing puller? to be used in a press.

worked in a toyota dealership and had one for general use. now in need of one.

rayndeb
Hard Yaka

Re: Rear axel bearing puller?? hilux, hilux surf

Postby rayndeb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I made one with some heavy wall 50 mm box and plate .Works a treat and a good test for my welding .Where are you
90 Landcruiser Vx 4.2 turbo 5 speed part time 4wd 75mm lift air lock in rear 35 Wranglers snorkel swaybar disconnects

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 pm

im down in invercargill

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:40 am

Out of interest can you post a pic of this said device?? DId a set for a mate the other day, and they were a real shit to remove. be interested to see what you made..
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 am

I made one up out of an old hilux diff housing. I cut the axle tube off by the nugget then got some plate bored a hole in the end so the axle can fit through it then welded it to the tube.
All you need to do is bolt the axle tube to the backing plate bolts then put it in the press and push the axle out. All done in the mater of minutes. :D
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 am

Here is a vid ....Shows all the things that people do to stuff them....
Also he makes up a tool....

I did the one in my playdoh....Cant remember using anything special....
I have a feeling I collapsed the bearing so it slid off the axle and then carefully cut the bearing inner ring and its retainer then sharp smack with a hammer and it split off....
The outer race I pressed out....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 am

Its an easy job, but there is a couple of tricks that make it easier
after you have removed the spring clip ontop of the compression collar, gently tap the bearing housing down on the bearing, you can normally get it so its flush with the top of the bearing
now grind out one side of the compression ring, I use the end of the grinding disk to do this you'll grind into part of the old bearing... you don't want to grind all the way through, you'll know you've gone far enough when as you grind up and down the side of the collar a blue band appears in the middle
This does two things weakens the collar and expands it
Then biff it in the press and it pops off
If the collar has been heated to install (see below) and you just try and press it off it galls the axle shaft and I've had it bend the tabs on the axle tub and snap studs!

When I put the new collar on I heat it bright red drop it over and give it a tap with a bit of pipe, I know alot of people just hammer them down with a bit of pipe... but I've seen them fail at speedway as a result of that trick.... interestingly never seen or heard of a failure on a truck with this trick, but as I'm often doing this for other people I do it the best way :wink:
The heat expands the collar so it just about falls into place then it cools and clamps to the axle

I'll get a pic of my press tool for ya its just nocked up out of scrap and an old axle tube
I'd offer to make you one but I'm not flying down to bluff for at least a couple of months

Cheers Reece

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 am

I couldnt watch anymore than 2mins of that vid, he was so god damm boring to listen too :lol: :lol:
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 am

ClassicCruiserSpares wrote:I couldnt watch anymore than 2mins of that vid, he was so god damm boring to listen too :lol: :lol:

Yes I was going to post a warning... :mrgreen: I just quickly scanned thru to the good bits... :lol:
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

rayndeb
Hard Yaka

Postby rayndeb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm

mine is like that guys .I watched his boring video but made the tool and learned how to do it .Was easy with 80 ton press .Left the tool at local garage he thought it was brilliant and has used it heaps. Not a bad job for cow farmer :lol:
90 Landcruiser Vx 4.2 turbo 5 speed part time 4wd 75mm lift air lock in rear 35 Wranglers snorkel swaybar disconnects

Return to “Toyota”