Ball Joint Spacers

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Re: Ball Joint Spacers

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 am

Like I said, not done a surf, but we've done a couple of L400 mitsi's that have the same setup, and they come up the thickness of the spacer.
Try it, I'll be interested to see what you find, and if someone could explain HOW it can give more lift, I'll be more than happy to listen :wink:

quote from im_where??? in that thread .... 'Yeah mate there the ones i bought.

Them and a slight TB tweak will give you 2" and a smooth ride. '

The only guy in that thread that says he didn't crank the bars makes no mention of the lift he got. Otherwise there is no mention of not cranking the bars.
I don't understand the confusion....

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am

The confusion is pretty black and white mate. Also I'm sure Mitsi's (and all other trucks) have different front suspension and torsion setups, Toyota are the only make (or maybe it's just Surf's?) with a particular setup, can't remember what the diff was though, might have been which A arm the torsions go to. Maybe that could be why BJ lift gives more lift than the thickness? I don't know..

Meh, will find out once I get my 1" ones and chuck em in. Yep will make sure clearance etc. is all good too as I have 33x12.5s too. Tweake what truck was that in? A kzn130 Surf?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 am

cant wait to see them done to see what the outcome is.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:58 pm

bronx89 wrote:The confusion is pretty black and white mate. Also I'm sure Mitsi's (and all other trucks) have different front suspension and torsion setups, Toyota are the only make (or maybe it's just Surf's?) with a particular setup, can't remember what the diff was though, might have been which A arm the torsions go to. Maybe that could be why BJ lift gives more lift than the thickness? I don't know..

Meh, will find out once I get my 1" ones and chuck em in. Yep will make sure clearance etc. is all good too as I have 33x12.5s too. Tweake what truck was that in? A kzn130 Surf?

The reason I mentioned the L400 is it has the torsion on the inner pivot of the upper arm, like the surf does. Very similar setup.

I guess we'll wait and see.... :|

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

bronx89 wrote: Tweake what truck was that in? A kzn130 Surf?

LN130........same chassis and suspension as kzn130.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Damn looks like the supplier I found doesn't do 1" ones, 1.5" the smallest they have. Wanting 1" and no bigger. Does anyone on here have, or is anyone able to source, a diagram of the BJ spacer so I can give it to an engineer mate to make?

MK1TNA
Hard Yaka

Postby MK1TNA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm

If there cheap enough get the 1.5s and get him to mill them down to 1, easy. Failing that I had a cad model of one ages ago ill see if I can find it

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 am

MK1TNA wrote:If there cheap enough get the 1.5s and get him to mill them down to 1, easy. Failing that I had a cad model of one ages ago ill see if I can find it

Yea was thinking about that last night. See if you can find that CAD model for me! Make it a hell of a lot cheaper :) Thanks.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am

Turns out the 1.5" spacers I installed give a hell of a lot more lift than 1.5"... Not sure if it is because my torsions were already fully wound up to the upper bump stops or not but it lifted it another 2-3"!!

Also got high tensile longer bolts and nuts for the BJ spacers, the stuff that came with it is too short and crap. While I was under there I spaced all 6 bumpstops to reduce droop and to also keep the tyre further away from the gaurd/mud flap/flare etc.

There was lots of positive camber and toe after adding the spacers on both sides. Took it for an alignment and there was more than enough adjustment to bring everything back in. Just need to fiddle with the front and get another alignment as it's not sitting level yet.

Would recommend this mod! Rides softer, more travel, nicer CV angles and nicer steering arm and everything else angles. Not too hard to do just takes time and a foul mouth.

Return to “Toyota”