Am I on the right track - Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130 Mods

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Am I on the right track - Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130 Mods

Postby Sheepy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi all

I have been scouring this website, as well as a lot of others to try and get a grip on what I should be doing to my truck before hitting the trails. I know I have some maintenance to do to it before I take it out, as it's had a very easy life before me. My father has owned it for the last 11 years and its never been off road, and done virtually no towing (garden waste to the local tip monthly, in a 6x4 trailer). Because of that I plan to do a little preventative maintenance and then beef up some things. What i would like to know before I get out an about is am I on the right track, or do i need to do more (i'm very new to all this)

So far the plan is to

*Full service - all fluids and filters is it worth getting a K&N air filter in stock air box
*replace radiator has been repaired twice and I dont want it to fail. Alloy rad is $300 so probably go that way
*Repair the 4WD system as it locks in 4wd and is hard to get out (simople fix and will be done when I am doing fluid changes
*Inspect all cooling system components

After that I would be confident its in good nick, and will start on the actual mods.

*15x10 steel wheels and 33x12.5r15 muds
* rubber flares to suit
* Snorkle
* First aid kit, fire extinguisher, basic recover gear and saftey items
* 2 inch suspension lift
* CB/PRS Radio (club dependent)

The above should be the basics I definitely need off road. Do I need anything else?

After that I think I'd like to start on some engine mods to prevent the engine pretending to be a grenade.

* Top mount intercooler
* 2 Inch body lift to accommodate the intercooler

And when I have more cash

* Winch Bar and Winch
* High lift jack
* Roof racks
* Other things that make offroading easier?

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Re: Am I on the right track - Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130 Mods

Postby snotgoblin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Sounds like you have given this a fair bit of thought...

I am fairly certain that the vast majority of clubs are using PRS radios.

My only addition to your list is seat time. The more seat time you have the more you will know what you need to change on your truck. You might find that in a fairly standard state it does everything you want it to.

Certainly good off road capable tyres are a must as are all the safety gear you mention. In fact clubs consider that mandatory.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks snotgoblin :)

I should have mentioned in my post that once I have completed initial maintenance and tyres I will be out in it as much as I can. The things I have listed seem to be the most common things I see done to trucks, so I assume they are the things that make life easier? I have spent a wee bit of time reading and looking into things as I don't like attacking a project without a plan or at least a vision of what I want the result to look like. I used to do a little bit of drag racing and then circuit racing when I was 17-25, and I learnt quickly, that without a plan I ended up spending a lot of money on shit I dint need.

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Before beating up your sills consider some rock sliders

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 65&t=39545

And then after you have done a bit of driving and have the spare cash some lockers for the diffs.

shaun.paddy
Bush Crasher

Postby shaun.paddy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Some rated recovery hooks is a good thing to match up with the recovery gear :wink: (assuming theres noting factory already in place) - most clubs require these. Incase you didn't know tow balls are a no no for recovery but some people swap the ball for a rated d shackle, depending on the club this may be acceptable.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Awesome, Cheers for the tip. I assume the Rock sliders would mean I would have to remove the side steps? I may have been eyeing up the winch bar Tom has for sale, but I don't have the $$$ spare at this point. The sky is definitely the limit when it comes offroading

shaun.paddy wrote:Some rated recovery hooks is a good thing to match up with the recovery gear :wink: (assuming theres noting factory already in place) - most clubs require these. Incase you didn't know tow balls are a no no for recovery but some people swap the ball for a rated d shackle, depending on the club this may be acceptable.

There are 2 big Tow Eyes under the front bumper that are stock, I figured I can throw a rated D - Shackle in there and that's the front sorted. I will have to look at the back. it's got a tow bar, so shouldn't be too hard to have some recovery points made if there isn't anything stock.

If the truck weighs 2 tons, then I need to find shackles that are at least 2 ton? or is it like a winch, where I need to double the GVW?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Sheepy wrote:Awesome, Cheers for the tip. I assume the Rock sliders would mean I would have to remove the side steps? I may have been eyeing up the winch bar Tom has for sale, but I don't have the $$$ spare at this point. The sky is definitely the limit when it comes offroading

shaun.paddy wrote:Some rated recovery hooks is a good thing to match up with the recovery gear :wink: (assuming theres noting factory already in place) - most clubs require these. Incase you didn't know tow balls are a no no for recovery but some people swap the ball for a rated d shackle, depending on the club this may be acceptable.

There are 2 big Tow Eyes under the front bumper that are stock, I figured I can throw a rated D - Shackle in there and that's the front sorted. I will have to look at the back. it's got a tow bar, so shouldn't be too hard to have some recovery points made if there isn't anything stock.

If the truck weighs 2 tons, then I need to find shackles that are at least 2 ton? or is it like a winch, where I need to double the GVW?

Don't use the factory tow points for recoveries.. they are NOT rated.. they are only for towing.. the result will be that they possibly break off and might kill someone.. Have seen this on a Nissan before.. install rated tow hooks and you cannot go wrong. they are designed to straighten when overloaded so a lot safer.. Sounds like you are on the right track.. good luck.. :wink:

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:51 pm

the tow eyes are not really up to it for offroad. you will need to fit proper hooks. they usually have standard ones on the front and you will need to make something fit the tow bar (hitch hook etc). tho a lot of people remove the tow bar and rear bumper for clearance. they have a bit of a rear overhang.

is it an auto?
if so fit external trans cooler.
maybe a lower temp thermostat while your changing radiators.
if your changing radiator try to get a manual one (doesn't have the trans cooler in it).

big bore exhaust. that helps keep engine temps down.

BigSkellsy
Bush Crasher

Postby BigSkellsy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:57 pm

You might want to to look into a better exhaust system, including a better dump. Another tip would be to get reliable gauges including water, EGT and if you want to get into tuning, a boost gauge.
Have a look on this site. http://toyotasurf.asn.au/

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 pm

tweake wrote:the tow eyes are not really up to it for offroad. you will need to fit proper hooks. they usually have standard ones on the front and you will need to make something fit the tow bar (hitch hook etc). tho a lot of people remove the tow bar and rear bumper for clearance. they have a bit of a rear overhang.

is it an auto?
if so fit external trans cooler.
maybe a lower temp thermostat while your changing radiators.
if your changing radiator try to get a manual one (doesn't have the trans cooler in it).

big bore exhaust. that helps keep engine temps down.

:) Nearly All stuff I have on my list, which means I must be reading everyhting I need too. I have a Drivetech trans cooler with 3/8th Barbs sitting in the shed unused. Its the biggest one they make that will go in either with the new trans or with new fluids if it's just a temp sender giving grief.

Hadn't thought of the lower temp thermostat. The one that's in it is a Toyota Genuine 82deg one (I fitted it with a new viscous hub 45km/2 years ago.) the alloy rad is a manual rad from fenix radiators, unless someone can recommend something better?

I have asked a mate who owns a pitstop to price a 3 inch dump pipe, but probably can't afford a full system just yet, although, I do have access to a mig, and a hoiston the weekends, so maybe it's something I will do my self, like most things on this truck, Ideally I want to do as much as I can myself.

I guess now I have to research making and fitting some rated recovery points. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the advice.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Personally I would also replace the water pump and most hoses in the engine bay along with thermostat and cap and the fan clutch.

Costs add up but along with a new radiator you now have a guaranteed cooling system. Along with the egt gauge consider an after market temp gauge. Stock gauges are shit.

Also manual hubs for the front to replace the auto hubs or drive flanges that it has.

Extend all the breathers and make sure they go high in the engine bay or well into the air box.

Matt.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Mattman wrote:Personally I would also replace the water pump and most hoses in the engine bay along with thermostat and cap and the fan clutch.

Costs add up but along with a new radiator you now have a guaranteed cooling system. Along with the egt gauge consider an after market temp gauge. Stock gauges are shit.

Also manual hubs for the front to replace the auto hubs or drive flanges that it has.

Extend all the breathers and make sure they go high in the engine bay or well into the air box.

Matt.

Extended breathers is def on my list now cheers. The cooling system has been very well looked after in its 11 years in NZ. My father bought it at 140km, and has had it serviced by Toyota till approx 200km, and then a local mechanic since, while I did oil changes in between the 15k services every 7.5k. the radiator had a small crack in it, so while that was being repaired I did the fan hub and looked it all over. The cambelt was changed about 40km ago and got a new genuine waterpump and thermostat. The hoses and rad cap are the only things that haven't been changed, and the rad cap is def on the list.

Manual hubs and air lockers sound like a decent upgrade, they will have to go on the lotto wishlist at this stage lol.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Body lift to fir the 33's they will rub without it. If it was me I would be looking at 15x8 inch rims.

Oh and a cert!

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Agree 15x7 or 15x8 be the way to go.
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Yep. Read all of this thinking 15x8 was the only thing to mention, only to find the last two people agree.

Reasons are that you will save some coin, will keep your beads seated better/be able to run lower pressures and avoid non-beneficial width.

The down side is most tyre company's specify 8.5inch rims for 33x12.5 tyres. So cert might be tricky on 8's.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Toyo IFS is pretty much unbreakable on 30s-31s and will last a very long time with pretty much no maintenance

Part of the learning curve is the vehicle will see more abuse as you develop skills. Failed hill climb, front gets its bounce on, full droop, skinny pedal etc. Drop into a rut at an awkward angle, big heavy tyre/rim bends the idler and knock it out of alignment etc

Maybe good to have some error tolerance built in

Maybe not :D

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:53 pm

I haven't had much of a chance to look into recovery points, but whats the deal? Bolted on or welded on which is legal, and what rating? GVW of the vehicle or more? Any help or reading on this would be handy to have. Alternatively is there someone in Auckland that you guys can recommend to make them for me?

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Ideally bolt two 10 000 pound rated hooks on each end. Hooks are roughly $25 from repco or supercheap etc (from memory).
Ideally drill a couple of holes in the chassis and bolt them on using a sandwich plate inside the chssis. If you have to weld something on to bolt these to make sure the welder knows what they are doing. You don't want the hook etc to become a deadly projectile during a recovery.
And my final "ideally" is to mont them such that the hooks are up the right way. Many trucks have them mounted upside down or side ways and relay on retainer clips to keep the rope in when not under tension. Frankly the clips are a pain in the arse. Always either making it hard to put the rope in or just not retaining the rope. If it's an extra hour or two's work to get an "up right" solution, it's worth it.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Oh right, I had seen those type of hooks before. I have access to a lathe to make crush tubes for inside the chassis, so will avoid welding them on, as according to my WOF inspector mate, you shouldn't weld to the chassis. Which makes me wonder how you attach rock sliders, but that's a question for another thread when I have the thing running and been out in the mud.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Yeah on chassis that are high tensile (basically no popular Toyota or Nissan 4wd chassis are from what I can gather) then you are not allowed to weld to them. You can weld to a surf no trouble, but it may require a cert.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 pm

shortylux wrote:Yeah on chassis that are high tensile (basically no popular Toyota or Nissan 4wd chassis are from what I can gather) then you are not allowed to weld to them. You can weld to a surf no trouble, but it may require a cert.

Awesome. I've tried ringing a certifier for the last 2 weeks I deal with to cert a car I did some work on, and to talk about my truck. No luck as yet. I will go forward with bolting them for now, and if needed look at something welded in the future, once I come to cert it for a body lift.

On the topic of welding to the chassis, It seems rock sliders are bolted to 10mm plate that is welded to the bassis rails, so I assume rock sliders must be certed also? I ask as If I am going to go to the effort of certing I would prefer all the cert-able items are on it when I do it.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Sheepy wrote:Manual hubs and air lockers sound like a decent upgrade, they will have to go on the lotto wishlist at this stage lol.

Manual hubs are cheap and worth doing. Don't need to do them with air lockers.

Matt.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Sheepy wrote: On the topic of welding to the chassis, It seems rock sliders are bolted to 10mm plate that is welded to the bassis rails, so I assume rock sliders must be certed also? I ask as If I am going to go to the effort of certing I would prefer all the cert-able items are on it when I do it.

You could weld your sliders on or you could weld them to plate that is bolted/clamps the chassis. I would think you don't need a cert if you bolt them on (builders and fabricators etc don't have to cert roof racks that are basically exo cages, in fact my cert guy said that my exo cage had nothing to do with my cert so long as it stayed with in 50mm of the body).

If you are going to weld to the chassis, don't use 10mm plate. That seems horrendously thick. Your chassis is only about 3mm. Talk to Tomsoffroad or some other shop for an expert opinion but I would probably just weld on 4mm doubler plates and weld the sliders to that.

(also Tom had some sliders to suit your truck going cheap I think. Hit him up)

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 pm

shortylux wrote:
Sheepy wrote: On the topic of welding to the chassis, It seems rock sliders are bolted to 10mm plate that is welded to the bassis rails, so I assume rock sliders must be certed also? I ask as If I am going to go to the effort of certing I would prefer all the cert-able items are on it when I do it.

You could weld your sliders on or you could weld them to plate that is bolted/clamps the chassis. I would think you don't need a cert if you bolt them on (builders and fabricators etc don't have to cert roof racks that are basically exo cages, in fact my cert guy said that my exo cage had nothing to do with my cert so long as it stayed with in 50mm of the body).

If you are going to weld to the chassis, don't use 10mm plate. That seems horrendously thick. Your chassis is only about 3mm. Talk to Tomsoffroad or some other shop for an expert opinion but I would probably just weld on 4mm doubler plates and weld the sliders to that.

(also Tom had some sliders to suit your truck going cheap I think. Hit him up)

he did/does, as well as a sweet winchbar. At the moment the priority is tyres, sorting the trans, and some preventative maintenance to stop it cooking itself, as well as the basics required by most clubs to get out there and see what I need. Sliders and winch and other things have to wait for a few months. Apparently my bank balance doesn't approve of me spending all the money I have on a truck, nor does the wife/handbrake.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 am

I got a set of sliders from Tom and made my own outrigger mounts to bolt them to the chassis.

I used 6mm plate and made U clamps that slide over the chassis rail and have two 10mm bolts at the top that go over the chassis rail at the top.

Sliders are welded to these with gussets. Pretty easy to unbolt and remove. No need for a cert. Not quite as strong as welding to the chassis but still plenty strong enough.

Matt

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:01 am

This is the order I'd do things in.......... Just my opinion :mrgreen:

1: Preventative maintenance (that's going to be on going tho :wink: )
2: Recovery points
3: Good tyres
4: Snorkel
5: Sliders - Welded to the chassis (I use 5mm fish plates but 4mm would be sweet too). Yes it technically requires cert but I have a few customers who don't have issues getting wofs. You'll probably have more issues getting a wof with a filthy big dent in your sill. Bolt on (clamped around the chassis) will cost more to fabricate and in my opinion won't offer any better protection.
6: Front and rear bar, this will probably relocate your previously installed recovery points :roll: :D
7: 3" exhaust with dump pipe
8: Rear locker (I wouldn't bother with the front as you'll just smash the ifs diff shortly after putting it in 4wd :mrgreen:
9: Maybe a low profile x member 'cos you'll get sick of being hung up on the factory anchor.

Then........................ :mrgreen:

3 or 4 link SAS, 3 link rear, exo.

Anyways that's enough fishing for work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: have a great day all :D :D

Return to “Toyota”