Kiwipete's VX

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Kiwipete's VX

Postby Big » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Beewdy.. :mrgreen: Didf you just tap and die it? or the weld in bung.. as I got the 1.8 npt ? coming.. I think..lol

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Big wrote:Beewdy.. :mrgreen: Didf you just tap and die it? or the weld in bung.. as I got the 1.8 npt ? coming.. I think..lol

It's just taped in there.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 am

In the exhaust manifold near one of the exhaust ports of the head. Last one I did was to put it on the exhaust port where they all collect to the turbo, but I felt this was actually reading hotter than the EGT per cylinder actually was. Possibly due to all exhaust ports accumulating in the same spot.

I took the nut supplied with the probe, stuck a bolt in it to hold the shape and then welded it to a thick washer. I then drilled out the spot for the probe on the exhaust manifold and then welded the washer/nut combo directly to it. Removed the bolt and screwed in the probe....done!

I would look at cylinder #1 or #6 since it's furthest away from the direct air flow and thus might be the hotter cylinders with a slightly richer fuel/air mix...just a thought anyway

Couple of comments on the above
The temperature at the common outlet of the manifold to the turbo cannot be hotter than the hottest individual exhaust port, it will be the average of all 6.
Far better to just thread the hole directly into the manifold, welding onto cast manifolds can cause problems if not careful.
With the log style inlet manifold with center inlet agree that 3 and 4 will get the most air, I know it is often said that 1 and 6 will get the least air as they are the furthest away, do not know if this has been tested and proven, it is possible that in fact 2 and 4 may get the least, this could be caused by the flow of air going past as it makes its way to the end creating a venturi effect that actually reduces the pressure slightly in the number 2 and 4 inlet runners.
Not saying this is fact, just food for thought, would be nice to have some actual test results.
Cheers
Tim

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:05 am

I think you're right Tim, It make total sense 3,4 as it is where they merge before the turbo.. it'll be where I tap mine in.. I just wanted to be sure it is where most people place theirs..Just have to wait for the gauge.. as I got a duel egt,boost one.. speaking of boost.. to get the correct reading.. place just before the inlets ? or ?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Kiwipete, I got the dual gauge setup for my 80 and Im having issues with the wiring as it is affecting the overall readings.. like,
egt wired correctly and no boost ground wire to pin 1 reads totally different to if the ground wire is attached to the same pin 1 which is how aubruins say..? as I cannot get the boost gauge to read anything.. :? If I ground the black wire directly to the negative pin next to the + pin it reads about 100-150 lower in egt.. so just looking for a bit of advice really.. Ive contacted auberins several times and yet to have a response.. :( How did it go for you? easy pezy.. I suspect.. :) let me know how ya got on.. as it doing my head in.. ( btw if I keep the ground wire off pin 1 from the boost sensor it reads I suspect the correct reading which is just a tad over 760 degs at WOT..) which is way better then getting close to 850-900 degs..

hachi_roku
Hard Yaka

Postby hachi_roku » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:41 am

Big wrote:Hi Kiwipete, I got the dual gauge setup for my 80 and Im having issues with the wiring as it is affecting the overall readings.. like,
egt wired correctly and no boost ground wire to pin 1 reads totally different to if the ground wire is attached to the same pin 1 which is how aubruins say..? as I cannot get the boost gauge to read anything.. :? If I ground the black wire directly to the negative pin next to the + pin it reads about 100-150 lower in egt.. so just looking for a bit of advice really.. Ive contacted auberins several times and yet to have a response.. :( How did it go for you? easy pezy.. I suspect.. :) let me know how ya got on.. as it doing my head in.. ( btw if I keep the ground wire off pin 1 from the boost sensor it reads I suspect the correct reading which is just a tad over 760 degs at WOT..) which is way better then getting close to 850-900 degs..

I feel your pain dude... I too have one of the dual gauges in my truck and have no end of issues with it... I've had the single ones without any problems, then got the dual setup and my egts will read high, and my boost reads too low

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 am

hachi_roku wrote:
Big wrote:Hi Kiwipete, I got the dual gauge setup for my 80 and Im having issues with the wiring as it is affecting the overall readings.. like,

I feel your pain dude... I too have one of the dual gauges in my truck and have no end of issues with it... I've had the single ones without any problems, then got the dual setup and my egts will read high, and my boost reads too low

Glad im not the only one having issues as I cant get on with business until I sort boost gauge.. Have had a response from auberins this morning and will tackle it over the weekend.. Will post my findings on my thread..

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 am

Im on holiday and will look up my wiring diagrams when i get home.
Ph 0212078472

sarmajor
Driver/Navigator

Postby sarmajor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:51 pm

crazyclark31 wrote:Yes that's correct. 24v start 12v running. The main battery is the left hand one.(from drivers seat)

I think that you will find that the right hand battery is the main battery as it is the one where the negative lead is connected to the chassis direct.
It is also the battery that did not have the factory cover fitted with a big label telling people not to connect anything to this battery.

Just saying.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Details to come soon, but my cruiser is coming up for sale!
Ph 0212078472

Return to “Toyota”