Kiwipete's VX

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Re: Kiwipete's VX

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm

ChurchurDan wrote:Some of those idle speed knobs have a slot on the bottom that you push a small screw driver into to release a little tab then pull them off.

That could be what I have? All will be revealed tomorrow, thanks.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:23 pm

kiwipete wrote:I found a link for doing the steering column boot replacement.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/and-next-on-the-list-rebuild-ps-gear-box-new-sector-shaft-pitman-arm.336799/page-3

Might go n visit Mr Toyota tomorrow and price one up. :shock:

They look the same as a hilux one. $32+gst rings a bell at Toyota :D

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

tomsoffroad wrote:
kiwipete wrote:I found a link for doing the steering column boot replacement.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/and-next-on-the-list-rebuild-ps-gear-box-new-sector-shaft-pitman-arm.336799/page-3

Might go n visit Mr Toyota tomorrow and price one up. :shock:

They look the same as a hilux one. $32+gst rings a bell at Toyota :D

Thanks Tom
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Bought an 8 way fuse box for all the accessories I will put back in the truck, as time goes by.

To power this I ran some 8 gauge wire from the battery in through the firewall and connected this via a "T" crimp, that I had to fashion by cutting a crimp sleeve in 1/2 and soldering this onto another sleeve.

A well fused supply :wink:

I used some split rubber tubing to prevent chafing on the cable.

Next to make the main bus to feed the fuse box I cut some wire and crimped lugs onto the ends. The ends of the wires were striped and soldered then placed into the T crimp. A couple of nails into a block of wood held it together whilst I soldered it.

A section of heatshrink was used to cover the solder joint; non soldered wires were placed into the crimp.

The other end of the T crimp has the remaining wire and this runs along the main wiring harness by the drivers door sill through to behind the back seats. This feed will be used for a future Sub amp and rear power socket.
The fuse box was secured with a factory screw and the other end tucks neatly inside a recess. This is above the kick panel on the drivers side.

And a visit to Miles Toyota had me purchasing one of these for the steering column (approx. $45 inc)

I might have to do some CRC soaking of the splines at that flexi joiner thingymabob thing under the dash as it looks a tad rusty so I can separate it to get the new dust cover on.
Ph 0212078472

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Looking good Pete. Things are coming along fast for ya. Going to be nice looking 80 based on the pic of how you want it to end up like.

I've used these style holders in the pass as they are easier to setup but I'm guessing it's because you already had the fuse holder already?

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ATID=969#1
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:Looking good Pete. Things are coming along fast for ya. Going to be nice looking 80 based on the pic of how you want it to end up like.

I've used these style holders in the pass as they are easier to setup but I'm guessing it's because you already had the fuse holder already?

Was just thinking about these today as I will run the dash switches to relays under the dash (headlights, air horn, ignition/dizzy feed, etc) but need to have fuses in the relay regulated power feeds under the bonnet. Not sure if these will be suitable for under the bonnet but I might give Jaycar a looksee this weekend - be rude not to... :mrgreen:

Just found these lil jobbies
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ATID=979#1

Sorry for thread jack Pete. :mrgreen:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Heath wrote:Was just thinking about these today as I will run the dash switches to relays under the dash (headlights, air horn, ignition/dizzy feed, etc) but need to have fuses in the relay regulated power feeds under the bonnet. Not sure if these will be suitable for under the bonnet but I might give Jaycar a looksee this weekend - be rude not to... :mrgreen:

For under bonnet go to your local wreckers, surfs and a few cars have nice under bonnet boxes that will house multiple Relays+Fuses. I picked up a few old harnesses that 4wd accessories were throwing out for that very reason, got fuse boxes, relay mounting blocks, lots of different colour wires etc...

before doing the above I used to get stuff from:

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/electrical/
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Where you got fuse box from mate??

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Heath wrote:
jonossiksilvia wrote:Looking good Pete. Things are coming along fast for ya. Going to be nice looking 80 based on the pic of how you want it to end up like.

Was just thinking about these today as I will run the dash switches to relays under the dash (headlights, air horn, ignition/dizzy feed, etc) but need to have fuses in the relay regulated power feeds under the bonnet. Not sure if these will be suitable for under the bonnet but I might give Jaycar a looksee this weekend - be rude not to... :mrgreen:

Just found these lil jobbies
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ATID=979#1

Sorry for thread jack Pete. :mrgreen:

We have used this style fuse block in my mates jet boat mounted on dash. clear cover more than enough waterproofing even in the rain which was good.

Those relay and fuse in one are good too, have a couple on mine - they do a nice tidy job of adding a circuit or two without needing fuse blocks or inline fuse hanging off of battery
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

The one thing I dislike about these is the exposed power stud on them, but otherwise they are quite a tidy looking unit.

I'm really taking my time with the wiring on this truck to ensure I get it right the first time and do not have to re-do it later on.

Lots of the leads to accessories I had in the Terrano are in need of lengthening now. :shock:
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:Where you got fuse box from mate??

If you are asking about the one I used, it was purchased from Supercheap some time ago. Just something I had in my junk box.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 am

More "bling" arrived today. 8)
The hard drive in my truck computer died way back when I was on the Southern Safari last year and I have just got around to replacing it. It lasted well for an old 2nd hand PATA 2.5" drive from a laptop and had been in there for some 6 odd years :!:

I did some searching for a Solid state PATA hard drive and found one at a very good price here in NZ, they are like hens teeth now that SATA has taken over. I cannot use SATA as my Mini ITX motherboard does not support this standard.

Now I have to set this PATA drive up and re-load my OS of choice, either XP or maybe Win7 32 bit is it will run on it OK, (I have full copies of both systems)

The HUGE box

And the small package from within
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Today I decided to have a spell from wiring and replace the steering column seal.

First I marked the joins with some whiteout then a blue pen to make a nice fine line along the splines. It is easy to get the alignment out when re-inserting the rubber joint.

There are two bolts to remove to separate the two halves, plus one bolt at the back that needs removing so you can slide the rubber joint off the spline.

Next I removed the old dust seal and the remaining part of it that was further down the shaft, inside the engine bay.

1/2 an hour later and the job was done :)
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 pm

The new Solid State HDD has been installed in the PC and has happily accepted an installation of 32bit Windows 7

Checking for updates

OMG :shock:

Tis a good thing I have a fast interweb connection out in the workshop :lol:

I will load an old copy of my favourite mapping program (NZ Mapped GPS, yes it is well out of date and extinct now, but I like it), along with the latest Maptoaster Topo too.

Before I mount the 8" LCD screen and my trusty old GPS on the Dashboard, I need to make and install a custom power supply for them. I have a cunning plan that will require a visit to Jaycar sometime soon and a modification of a 2 way cigarette lighter extension socket I have.
Ph 0212078472

cruiser80
Driver/Navigator

Postby cruiser80 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Good to see the seal replacement wasn't too difficult, it's a job I've been putting off!

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:04 pm

I had some strip LED lighting left over from another project, so I decided it may come in handy one dark night if I ever have a problem under the bonnet.

It is fused (5A) directly from the battery positive terminal and switched through the negative via a simple plunger switch.

Ph 0212078472

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 am

thats a cool idea :wink:
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:23 am

very cool idea.. was thinking along the same but your idea way better.. Filed away for use later on.. :wink:

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks guys, I will take a shot or two tonight when it is dark for comparison.

I am thinking of doing something similar for some lighting inside the boot area too as there is noting in there.
Apparently there is some factory wiring for a boot light hidden in the upper left corner, so when it is fine I will take the lining off and have a look.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:06 pm

A cold and miserable day has seen me hiding in the workshop installing my mapping software on my truck PC. Windows 7 has been successfully installed as well as NZ Mapping GPS.

Here is a shot of the PC and keyboard with a pen on it for comparison of it's small size. The case contains the power supply, motherboard, DVD drive and hard drive :!:

Maptoaster is currently being loaded, then I can look at mounting it in the tuck.
Ph 0212078472

Wild_South
Hard Yaka

Postby Wild_South » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Very cool mate! keep up the work.

More photos the merrier!
1997 Toyota Surf KZN185 Intercooled, Silver/Grey, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75/r16 Hercules Terra Trac D/T, 16x8 ROH Black Track Steelies, Roof Cage, 42" LED Light Bar, Limb Risers, Snorkel, Auber Gauges, Thicker Core Radiator, MCC Winch Bar

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Map Toaster Topo has finally been installed, now I'm almost set to go. :wink:

There is just a small modification to be done to the GPS external aerial and I will have it all hooked up ready for mapping. :)

I have modified this twin port cigarette power and USB socket so it has a master on/off switch plus an external 12V DC power socket to supply power to the 8" LCD screen.
The factory short lead with a cigarette lighter plug was replaced with a longer one for it's power feed too, this will be fed directly from the accessory fuse box.
I'm sure I will be able to hide this cable nicely along the dashboard where it meets the windscreen.

Here is a couple of shots of the under bonnet LED lighting at night. Unfortunately the phone has not done justice of the light output, it looks much brighter in person. :?

Ph 0212078472

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Im going to run leds along both edges too so that should helps things no end.. ALso might run some in cab for better lighting.. :wink:

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Big wrote:Im going to run leds along both edges too so that should helps things no end.. ALso might run some in cab for better lighting.. :wink:

These LED's IMHO are the best to use for your dome lights, they do not look so flash when looking up at them but the light spread is awesome. I used them in the Terrano and will do the same on the Cruiser soon.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=759937336
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Some goodies arrived in the mail today. :D

Guess what I will be doing over the next week............ :?: :wink:
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 pm

I just went outside and did a wee trial fit with one of the new gauges; it is going to be really tight in there as far as the front end goes. I am going to have to re-think my mounting options to end up with it looking as factory as possible. I will get a better idea when the console is sitting on the work bench. :wink:
Plenty of cardboard mock-ups are to be the go me thinks.
At least there will be sufficient room in there to mount a couple of extra accessory switches.

Ph 0212078472

hamishh
Bush Crasher

Postby hamishh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm

kiwipete wrote:

On a side note, has anyone fitted an endless air system to their 80 series?
I have still got the SD709 here that I was going to use on the Terrano. I want to fit it to the Cruiser; it has a V belt clutch.

yea i have got something almost exactly like it. prick setup but can post pics

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:56 pm

hamishh wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I have still got the SD709 here that I was going to use on the Terrano. I want to fit it to the Cruiser; it has a V belt clutch.

Yes please, I would like to see some pictures of your set up :)
Ph 0212078472

hamishh
Bush Crasher

Postby hamishh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm

[/attachment]
kiwipete wrote:
hamishh wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Yes please, I would like to see some pictures of your set up :)

they pretty bad photos but what you can see is the custom made bracket to hold the a/c and the endless air pump.
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
a/c is a smaller pump so that they fit. the problem with a/c being on top means that there is not very good belt coverage going on the other pump so i have to update belt frequently due to stretching until i modify bracket some more.
air for the air compressor comes straight out of the air filter there is no other one in between and then runs to a tank
photo 1.jpg
which is between the chassis and centre diff on passenger side (maybe not best place).
photo 4.jpg
other photo is just the unit i use which controls what all the air does i.e diff locks and tyres. hope this helps, if you want more pictures let me know
Hamish :D

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for the photos, it has given me a couple of ideas. :wink:
Ph 0212078472

Return to “Toyota”