Hard Yaka

Re: Kiwipete's VX

Postby timmay556 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:10 pm

thread is worthless with out pics :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 pm

kiwipete wrote:Tis a good thing I took the truck in for a radiator service. Turns out the core was on its last legs. So in is going a brass job!
Thats going to cost.

Think of it in a glass half full fashion... probably $5-600ish for a reco radiator vs thou$and$ on an engine rebuild when it gets cooked cos the radiator let go. Preventative maintenance, spend a little now to save a lot later. :mrgreen:

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm

zukmeista wrote:
kiwipete wrote:Tis a good thing I took the truck in for a radiator service. Turns out the core was on its last legs. So in is going a brass job!
Thats going to cost.

Think of it in a glass half full fashion... probably $5-600ish for a reco radiator vs thou$and$ on an engine rebuild when it gets cooked cos the radiator let go. Preventative maintenance, spend a little now to save a lot later. :mrgreen:

I totally agree there. It is a good thing it did not let go during the drive home. :wink: Although it was an unexpected expense (700 bucks) it was as you say preventative maintenance.
Friday it gets an transmission check up, then on Tuesday a cambelt replacement. I still have to take it into Nathan for the EGR removal, exhaust and tune up.
Best to get it all done now rather than worry later eh?
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:17 pm

timmay556 wrote:thread is worthless with out pics :D

Nag, nag, nag; just like an old woman :lol:

This is off the Trademe listing

Parked up at Toupoo :wink:

Bringing the "wee" caravan back through the Waikari Hills

Told ya it was a "wee" caravan :lol:

There is nothing else worth showing of at this stage............ The interior is tidy and the engine is clean :lol:

Ph 0212078472

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Looks like it might already have a suspension lift fitted?

timmay556
Hard Yaka

Postby timmay556 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Very nice mate, front and rear locks even

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

zukmeista wrote:Looks like it might already have a suspension lift fitted?

Yes it does eh? I will get Nathan to look at it when it goes in to him to do his magic.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:37 pm

timmay556 wrote:Very nice mate, front and rear locks even

Yep, no centre diff lock switch though, so I am on the lookout for one now.
Ph 0212078472

cruiser80
Driver/Navigator

Postby cruiser80 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Very nice 80 KP, you have to be happy with that!

Is the center diff lock not standard? If the switch isn't there does it have the other bits? Presumably it locks in low range?

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm

cruiser80 wrote:Very nice 80 KP, you have to be happy with that!

Is the center diff lock not standard? If the switch isn't there does it have the other bits? Presumably it locks in low range?

Sure am happy with it thanks.
Yep, locks in at low range. Apparently it is not a standard option, must have been a factory option from what I understand. Easy to fit one as the wiring etc. is all there.
Ph 0212078472

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm

how many kms on it when you got it..? as looking for one too..

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Big wrote:how many kms on it when you got it..? as looking for one too..

Ph 0212078472

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm

im pretty sure ive seen a couple with viscous/limited slip center diffs aswell as i got to drive one that "slipped" sometimes but was only getting drive as the center diff picked up the slack because it had snapped the cv
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 pm

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 pm

If I was to use the threaded area where the factory AT oil temp sender is plumbed into the pan, what thread size/pitch is it?

I am thinking of placing an Auber gauge probe in there?

On another note, she had a full AT service today with a new replacement aftermarket cooler plumbed in too.
Oil, filter and pan gasket was replaced too. There was a small amount of filings in there apparently, but they thought that was of no concern.

They also mounted the cooler so I can still use the blind if I want too, the other cooler was preventing it being pulled down.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Spent part of the afternoon exploring all the nooks n crannys in the truck as well as giving the door hinges, tail door and tyre swing away a grease.

I took the somewhat rusty looking bottle jack out and tried it, it was seized up. After some HUGE amounts of CRC and spray on grease it let go, but only what looked like 1/2 way. After a bit more perseverance and tipping out about 1/2 a cup of rusty water it is now as good as new.
I wonder how the water got in it?

I am looking at how to remove the rear seats so I can build some drawers in the boot. It looks like the mounting brackets are welded in place so I will unbolt the seats off them build around them.

I also had a go at removing the overhead compass console but gave up in the end. I could get all but two of the screws out. There are what looks like two large black beefy screws under the light and switch cover that will require a larger screwdriver to persuade them to come out.

I have decided to mount my dual Auber gauges in there as I only need to look at them if the alarm sounds and I think looking up at gauges will be better than looking down. At least with looking up, the road will still be in my peripheral vision. If I were to mount them down in the dash, the only area I have spare is right at the bottom where the suspension switch and rear heater switch is; plus there is only room for three gauges there with those switches removed.

Using the dual gauges in the top console I can easily cater for EGT, Boost, AT oil temp and water temp. Well that's my theory anyway.

For now the old 40Ch PRS unit will go in where the space is below the head unit. Sometime I will replace it with one of those mini 80 channel units.

Is there a secret to remove this drink holder?

I also want to replace the head unit sometime and am thinking of the 10 speakers in the truck, (2 in the dash, one in each door, two in the roof above the boot and two down low in the boot), I will just replace the two in the front doors, the upper boot pair and place some tweeters on the dash beside the pillars. The rest I will abandon.

Behind the seats in the boot

I also sorted out the towing hitches, I had a longer drop one made for the caravan and had the tow hook one left over from a mod I was going to do on the Terrano.
Ph 0212078472

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:16 pm

If you mess with the stereo, be aware there is an amp hidden up behind the glove box on left side of the glove box and another one in the drivers side rear quaterpanel, behind the little compartment.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 pm

wjw wrote:If you mess with the stereo, be aware there is an amp hidden up behind the glove box on left side of the glove box and another one in the drivers side rear quaterpanel, behind the little compartment.

Thanks Bill. It does not have the factory stereo in it and I am unsure yet if it is using the factory amp(s)

When I swap this one out I will be running new wiring to the speakers directly, so there will be no need for the factory amps at all. 8)
Ph 0212078472

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:24 am

kiwipete wrote:When I swap this one out I will be running new wiring to the speakers directly, so there will be no need for the factory amps at all. 8)

Thats on my todo list.
-----------------------

Flannel
Bush Crasher

Postby Flannel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

kiwipete wrote:I wonder how the water got in it?

If it's like mine. From under the rear quarter moulding, dripping down onto it. Stuck my head in that hole and looked up to find the culprit.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Flannel wrote:
kiwipete wrote:I wonder how the water got in it?

If it's like mine. From under the rear quarter moulding, dripping down onto it. Stuck my head in that hole and looked up to find the culprit.

I will shove my head in there over the weekend and have a look, thanks.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Today I have had the truck in at my local mechanic to have the Timing Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Hydraulic tensioner and Cam Seal replaced. :)

He commented at how tidy the truck was for it's age and also made a comment that the rear seats are not factory and have been added in, but not certified. They are not mounted to the factory floor mounts and the floor base has been custom made and welded to the floor! :shock:

Tis a good thing I am going to remove them for the drawers I will make.

It will not bother me that the truck will end up as a 5 seater as I never intended to have rear seats in the bot anyway.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Thats going to cost.

Just to add to this; the shop that replaced the radiator seemed to forget to put antifreeze coolant in it at the time, after invoicing me for it! :shock:

I only discovered this over the weekend when I took the radiator cap off to check the fluid levels were all good. The water was clear and had no Red or Green colour to it at all.

I rang them to query this and they seemed to doubt my inspection and asked me to bring the truck in for them to look at.

I did this and they seemed bemused; took the top hose off the engine and had me crank the engine for 10 seconds to pump some extra fluid out, which they replaced with about 2L (looked like a milk bottle of fluid to me) of Green coolant. He showed me a 10L? container with Red fluid in it saying this is what should be in there but stated that what he was putting in there would be OK.

I have also written a letter to them to voice my disgust at this poor service.

I also understand that this truck should have Red coolant in it. Can anyone verify this please?

I will not be going back to this shop for further work and will undertake to replace all the fluid over the weekend myself. At least then I will know it has been done properly.

No I will not name and shame them until they have had a chance to reply to my letter.
Ph 0212078472

cruiser80
Driver/Navigator

Postby cruiser80 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi KP, there is a lot of discussion on antifreeze and your other question about oils on offroad80s.com which is a forum for 80 & 100 series landcruisers.
I have found it really useful.
Interesting your comment about your seats, I looked at your post and couldn't work it out, as mine has bolt holes and clip points in the floor.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Standard green antifreeze should be fine but 2 litres is not enough, it should be 50/50 with water and I bet your cooling system holds more than 4 litres of coolant.
I have always been under the idea that the factory red coolant is long life and it was red to allow easy identification.
Assuming you have a plastic tank radiator ensuring the antifreeze is plastic safe is of more concern over what colour it is. Generally the green stuff just needs to be flushed out and replaced every 2 years and the red stuff every 5 years.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 pm

cruiser80 wrote:Hi KP, there is a lot of discussion on antifreeze and your other question about oils on offroad80s.com which is a forum for 80 & 100 series landcruisers.
I have found it really useful.
Interesting your comment about your seats, I looked at your post and couldn't work it out, as mine has bolt holes and clip points in the floor.

Thanks, I will check that website out, still getting my head around all the info out there for the Cruiser.

The seats will have a visit from an angle grinder soon. :evil:
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:12 pm

ChurchurDan wrote:Standard green antifreeze should be fine but 2 litres is not enough, it should be 50/50 with water and I bet your cooling system holds more than 4 litres of coolant.
I have always been under the idea that the factory red coolant is long life and it was red to allow easy identification.
Assuming you have a plastic tank radiator ensuring the antifreeze is plastic safe is of more concern over what colour it is. Generally the green stuff just needs to be flushed out and replaced every 2 years and the red stuff every 5 years.

The new radiator is all metal inc the tank.

I will be going to Apco later this week to do some shopping.

Tis more like 12L fluid all up in my truck apparently.
Ph 0212078472

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Hey Pete, just a comment on Red or Green, would be worth asking the radiator shop what it had before as you are supposed to do a full flush before changing between them.

Also, if you aren't sure I would just dump the whole lot and start again...
-----------------------

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm

What others have said re the antifreeze is correct just make sure you use one or the other, as I have seen red and green mixed before and it can go jelly like. When working on new Toyotas red yota coolant was always used. Also amount of antifreeze I always stick with 2.0l engine 2.0l antifreeze, 4.2l engine 4.2 of antifreeze, keeps it simple.
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for the input guys, they have left a message on the answer phone offering to drain and replace all the fluid, but I am not sure if I want to go back there. It is going to me more of a hassle to me having to drop the truck off and arranging a lift to work and then the reverse after it is done. I'm sure I can do it myself much easier at home.
Ph 0212078472

Return to “Toyota”