Can anyone ID these diffs?

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Can anyone ID these diffs?

Postby Sausager » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 am

A friend of mine has a project going on at the moment and he has diffs which he knows only a little about. The only thing he knows is that they're cruiser diffs.

If anyone can ID these, then I can get onto looking for brakes for him. Photos are of front and rear diffs, and he has cut mounts, etc off them and out others on there, but I'm sure someone here will still know!

Cheers

Last edited by Sausager on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Re: Can anyone ID these diffs?

Postby Sausager » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 am

Those photos haven't come out quite right. What size should I be posting them?

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:52 am

Judging by the photo of the brake hose, it looks like an early Land cruiser, 11mm pipe nuts.
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 am

can you give us a pic of the cast housing the diff head resides in, the casting pattern will be more of a clue then the axle tubes.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:07 am

I've updated the photos so they appear properly. I can get photos of the diff head housing next week

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:19 am

They are 80-84 FJ40 housings, fully floater in the rear use to have handbrake on the diff but has been removed. Front diff has been converted to disc brakes using early hilux gear. You can tell by the brake hose and backing plate setup. But the diff heads are out of a later model cruiser. The rear head looks like an 80 series one with the different shape pinion flange and and the stronger finned housing. The front head looks like a 70 series.
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:57 pm

ClassicCruiserSpares wrote:They are 80-84 FJ40 housings, fully floater in the rear use to have handbrake on the diff but has been removed. Front diff has been converted to disc brakes using early hilux gear. You can tell by the brake hose and backing plate setup. But the diff heads are out of a later model cruiser. The rear head looks like an 80 series one with the different shape pinion flange and and the stronger finned housing. The front head looks like a 70 series.

Epic response!
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 am

ClassicCruiserSpares wrote:They are 80-84 FJ40 housings, fully floater in the rear use to have handbrake on the diff but has been removed. Front diff has been converted to disc brakes using early hilux gear. You can tell by the brake hose and backing plate setup. But the diff heads are out of a later model cruiser. The rear head looks like an 80 series one with the different shape pinion flange and and the stronger finned housing. The front head looks like a 70 series.

Blow me down! You're a legend! Thanks mate.

So I'm looking for early hilux calipers? Any clues on year? And I presume the FJ40s had drums on the back. So if he wants to run rear brakes, what disc setup fits nicely?

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:29 pm

The rotor that goes with that early backing plate is a 13mm solid rotor and they came out 79-88 hilux then changed to the later 20mm vented rotor after 88. Both calipers look similar but the gap were the rotor sits is different. Have you got solid rotors?
Yea they were drums on the back but can be changed to discs easily using Subaru front calipers or mr2 calipers, both those options have handbrake mechanism's on them. They also use the hilux solid front rotors on the back but they do need very minor machining.
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

Return to “Toyota”