How to prevent 1KZ-TE head cracking?

samurai
Bush Crasher

How to prevent 1KZ-TE head cracking?

Postby samurai » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Hello Guys

Hope everyone is doing good, thank you for the information provided on my previous note

Due to the interest of a SURF but lack of funds i have to go for a high km surf, but i have heard the head cracking issue and if the head is been replace or not been replaces what is the best maintenance tip that you guys can give me if i get a High KM (300,000 to 400,000) on the clock truck

Going to use to go to work and going to the beach on the weekend, no towing or hard 4wd

Please advise

Regards
JC

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Re: How to prevent 1KZ-TE head cracking?

Postby J_Dub » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 pm

First and foremost.
Get a radiator from redline off trademe. Thicker core alloy, 40% more cooling, and service the viscous fan n be sure its humming.

Then there's the other small bits you do that others will chime in on but I believe those first 2 are the most important and will give biggest gains. My 2 c

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 pm

lots of reading on this website about 1kz heads
eg
copy and paste
"There are a number of things you can do to reduce/almost eliminate the head cracking issue. New thermostat,new fluid, new radiator cap.Have the radiator tanks removed and the core cleaned.(very important after an overheat, as crud is loosened from inside the motor and deposited into the lower regions of the core.)
I'm willing to bet that you have a factory dump pipe(the exhaust pipe that bolts directly onto the turbo). Have one custom made, with a bigger diameter- Many people are going with 3" on their 1Kz motors nowadays! This gets the hot gases away from the head more easily, keeping it cooler. Likewise, the exhaust system needs to be bigger too,say 2.5" plus.
If you have a auto trans(in this case you do), bypass the trans cooler in the radiator, and run an aftermarket trans cooler. This will also help keep the water in the radiator at a cooler temp. Lastly, if you are paranoid, install an engine oil cooler.
All these things combine to get the running temp of the motor and head lower. It is interesting to note that as a general rule, the intercooled 1kz motors crack heads much less often, once more adding weight to the 'reducing heat' theory.
I personally know of 4 intercooled 1kz surfs that between them, average 500,000km each, none of them have had their heads off.(all with good service history by the way)."

No mention of an EGT gauge here,but that is a good idea too.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm

if you've got a lack of funds purchasing a 1kz vehicle may not be the wisest choice :D you can spend a whole heap of money on prevention methods and still end up having to throw another couple of grand into the kitty to stick a new head on it :D good luck what ever you do :D

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Derk ,you are so correct.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:29 am

First and cheapest thing I would do is fit a new thermostat that opens at 82 degrees (a lot earlier than the factory one opens). One of the high flow ones, 20% more flow or something like that they claim.

Then fit a off the shelf mechanical water temp gauge in your top hose so you can properly monitor your water temp with the new thermostat.

After that, if the gauge is telling you that your having issues, or when you have the $$$ available, get your fan and radiator checked out.

With the engine running cooler it should increase the life of the head. Might use the tiniest bit more fuel as it's not running at its peak efficiency temperature, but you won't notice it :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:13 am

agree with Dieselboy, check first , install a gauge that gives a True reading.
why spend a whole heap of Money and find the previous owner has already done it.

the Tridon high flow does make a big different and is cost affective.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 am

Sweet.......................... All the information provided is really valid and ill go forward with them

regards
JC

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 pm

Got a truck just done 248,000km and still with all the factory radiators and with the RED coolant, ill post some images as soon as i get the truck

regards
JC

Return to “Toyota”