Planing a 1uz into a ln130, i could use advise

Zamad
Winch master

Planing a 1uz into a ln130, i could use advise

Postby Zamad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi im new, i bought a ln130 in december last year. It was running great. Up until 2 months after i got it, it started blowing black smoke from the back. I ripped it out and was planning to replace the rings and seals etc. once i pulled it apart i discovered that the whole engine needed to rebuilt and was going to cost me at least 2g. personally i don't think the 2l is worth rebuilding.

i saw a v6 commy surf last weekend and thought that that might be the way to go. I did some research and it seems like the 1uz is better on gas, of course has more power and doesn't cost much more.

I would be doing this myself, i can do head gasket and timing jobs but i have never done an engine swap and am worried that i might be taking on a task that i can't handle. If someone that has done this before, doesn't mind me contacting them for help, i would be stocked. Any advise would be great.

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Planing a 1uz into a ln130, i could use advise

Postby derk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:28 pm

budget $5k-10k, 200-500 hours shed time and about 1000 hours on the net researching everything :D

Zamad
Winch master

Postby Zamad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Have you done it before? I dont have that kind of cash, it would be a long term project.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Spend the 2K on a rebuild. Or find 10K for the 1UZ, including buying the motor, welding, wiring, etc. and finally certing it.
Check out what revs a 1UZ gets it 'power' vs. the Commy V6. V6 has the power in a more usable rev range.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:41 pm

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Seen guys attempt it themselves when told to pay the pro to do it.
Then end up sending it to the pro to finish etc and it ends up costing more :-(

If its out of your pay bracket then pay someone else to do it.

If you cant afford it then you shouldnt be planning it ;-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Zamad
Winch master

Postby Zamad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Smurf wrote:Spend the 2K on a rebuild. Or find 10K for the 1UZ, including buying the motor, welding, wiring, etc. and finally certing it.
Check out what revs a 1UZ gets it 'power' vs. the Commy V6. V6 has the power in a more usable rev range.
Smurf wrote:http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27747

sweet il have a look at that and thanks for that link
skid wrote:Seen guys attempt it themselves when told to pay the pro to do it.
Then end up sending it to the pro to finish etc and it ends up costing more :-(

If its out of your pay bracket then pay someone else to do it.

If you cant afford it then you shouldnt be planning it ;-)

What im most concerned about is the wiring, i can fab the mounts. if i do the 1uz i wont be sending it to the pro.
i cant afford to do the whole thing in a mouth, id hope it id be like 6.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:30 am

Commy v6 and auto with Isuzu bighorn transfer case is a much simpler conversion. Motor is shorter and leaves room to run a decent radiator and fan.

Don't forget driveshafts, exhaust, trans cross member, efi fuel pump and return lines and all the other bits and pieces that you need for a conversion. Usually need a bodylift to clear the front diff and sump mods.

I loved my LN130 1UZ but wouldn't build another.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 am

I looked at putting a 1uz in my surf about 5-6 year ago when it cracked a head, was going to easy be 10k+ for conversion plus cert

Looked at v6 was cheaper but bit thirster but better power

Ended up putting a new head on motor.

Have you thought about 1kz conversion with manual pump? Better power range and less fuel usage less things to change on your truck could do it for 4-5k certed

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:10 pm

even cheaper for a bit of a power gain, presuming you don't have a 2L-TE, just a 2L-T. Then swap in a 3L or 5L and drop all your original 2L-T externals and turbo gear back onto. All factory fitment, no need to modify anything

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:19 pm

If it is a 2L-T I may have one for sale soon, also in Whangarei.

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Hey mate if your keen on doing it there is plenty of info out there and most guys are helpful once you have started there is a guy from the car tune company in Hamilton who has done up conversion instructions and the likes which are good but he pushes a lot of his products engine mounts ect. he sells them on TM if your keen on giving it a go but are worried about the wiring i would go talk to your local auto elec shop i did this with mine they worked on it between jobs and had it for about a month and it cost me 600 if you have the fab skills you can save yourself alot but i would get yourself a good engineer for driveshafts ect thats what i did and saved myself heaps. 1uzs aren't the most torquey motor but sound way better that a 3.6 when on song and its a v8 :mrgreen: . If its what you want and have the drive to do it i say go for it. My best advice is to not build it with the intention of selling it you wont make any money on it, do it for the experance of modding your own 4wd your own way then get the enjoyment of using it. My 2c
Last edited by imsohi on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:08 pm

As imsohi has said, there is loads of info on the web, and if you can search and gather the required info for the motor you have choosen, then its just a matter of connecting the dots.. Kelvin ( car tune company) has been a good barstard to me in the past but rest assured.. he charges like a wounded bull.. If you do decide to go ahead.. I have loads of info and can point you in the right direction.. Its not that hard but will require you to have some smarts.. :lol: as it will do your head in at some stage.. :wink: trust me as I know.. BUT the best advice I can give you.. is where do you want to be at the end..? as it will decide on the direction you go for purchasing everything.. Think about it and then think about more.. research and research.. then decide and follow through. :mrgreen: I love the 1uzfe as an engine..so yea.. not bias really.. :wink:

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:18 pm

my Ecotec V6 conversion isnt that thirsty and has loads of power and now ive got my worked motor in makes even more herbs. Great thing about commy motor is cheap part even cheap motors i picked one up for $350 when i stuffed a bearing. However with the commy you MUST modify the sump or it will cost you a motor. Ask me how i know.... Ive got a spare modified sump if you end up going down that path.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Ashohman wrote:However with the commy you MUST modify the sump or it will cost you a motor. Ask me how i know

Yep. I learnt that as well.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:24 pm

I have sent you a reply pm Zamad but i'll put this in here aswell seen Smurf linked my build

The 1uz and auto box cost me $1500 but in saying that everything to do with the motor swap cost me all up about $5000 - $6000. and thats with me doing all the labour. I also did the wiring my self.

it takes lots and lots of research, a lot of patience, a lot of time and money

The internet from all over the world so full of info on the 1uz, the 1uz into surf/4runner/hilux and wiring diagrams

good luck if you go ahead - it be a fun project but shameless plug you could always buy mine :twisted: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=43814
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

silveradoman
Bush Crasher

Postby silveradoman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:03 am

My ten cents worth
I built a 92 2.8surf Into
A lexus v8 powered manual truck
Alloy radiator lifted certed
Did it all myself and it was worth
Less than what it cost to build.
All the work was tidy and it sounded mint.

Zamad
Winch master

Postby Zamad » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:03 am

Thanks for all the help, in the end I have decided to rebuild the engine. Il let you know how it goes.

Return to “Toyota”