New KZN185 1KZ

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

New KZN185 1KZ

Postby Harveyp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:21 pm

Hey forum members,

Have posted a couple of times here. But just wanting to pick your brains on first Mod's.

I have just bought a couple of egr blanking plates off trademe for 1KZ. Have heard it's a great mod, but can also increase temperatures???

Is there any recommended Mod's that you think should be done first? Or after? And why?
Was thinking aftermarket gauges, coolers etc.

Look forward to soaking in some knowledge :)

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: New KZN185 1KZ

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:58 pm

you need to tell us of your intended use? eg towing/offroad/commuting etc.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:38 am

Regardless of what your using it for put one of these on. Absolute must have with a 1KZ :wink:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=231

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks BlakeNZ, I'll be using it more for commuting at this stage. And I am planning on using it for a bit of beach/off-road (have already done both in it but not much)

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks for the link Tom. Looks like a cool gauge! :twisted:

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:34 am

It's a must have. Egt will tell you it's getting hot a long time before the temp gauge.
Our daily kzn130 surf has nearly 400000km with the factory head. Other than that gauge and a water temp gauge it's 100% standard on 31s. Yes it gets hot (especially with 3t of landcruiser and trailer behind it lol) but the egt gauges tells you when to back off the gas. I believe it's why it's still going sweet

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 am

put a trans temp guage in if it has an auto trans. From the temps you are seeing(on the beach is where it will get hottest) you can decide if you need to add a further trans cooler.
And the factory water temp guage is not nearly a good indication as an aftermarket one.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:17 am

oh, and a aftermarket exhaust yields around 6pc more power and 10pc better fuel efficiency on the KZN185s. A guy in Palmy makes a bolt on exhaust for them.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:17 pm

If you are ditching the egr, reroute the rocker breather into a catch can as well. Many also remove the butterfly from the inlet manifold at the same time. If yours is intercooled take this opportunity to take the intercooler off and leave it soaking in degreaser overnight. You will already be doing this to the intake manifold won't you...it will probably be blocked already with crud.

If yours is not intercooled then put one on. If it's not a hard yaka mud truck then a water to air is very efficient. I say not for hard yaka because you put a small radiator up the front...don't want another thing filling with mud lol.

Definitely fit the auber guage!
Exhaust makes a good difference if it is mandrel bent with a proper dump pipe. The guy in palmy made my one like that and was fantastic.
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Oh and the increase temperatures thing is a load of bs. The 1kz runs a hot egr system which doesn't run at WOT (wide open throttle) anyway so no it doesn't heat your engine or cylinder head up.
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

stu_71
Hard Yaka

Postby stu_71 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Tom's right and here's my install , if it helps...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42494&p=438221&hilit=Auberins#p434843

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Those Auberins Gauges look fantastic! The overheating and head cracking did always concern me when looking for a 1KZ hilux. I take it the standard water temp gauge is pretty shitty too. Is the water temp gauge on your install guide stu_71 an Auberins unit also? The truck will mostly be my daily/all rounder, so hardcore off road isn't on the cards. Am interested in doing the dump pipe/ exhaust upgrade at a later date too, as all these great mods won't be happening at once :(

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 pm

zed wrote:If you are ditching the egr, reroute the rocker breather into a catch can as well. Many also remove the butterfly from the inlet manifold at the same time. If yours is intercooled take this opportunity to take the intercooler off and leave it soaking in degreaser overnight. You will already be doing this to the intake manifold won't you...it will probably be blocked already with crud.

If yours is not intercooled then put one on. If it's not a hard yaka mud truck then a water to air is very efficient. I say not for hard yaka because you put a small radiator up the front...don't want another thing filling with mud lol.

Definitely fit the auber guage!
Exhaust makes a good difference if it is mandrel bent with a proper dump pipe. The guy in palmy made my one like that and was fantastic.

Thanks for the Info zed. Mine is intercooled, I noticed the amount of crud in the intercooler, so i will be taking that off and doing a soak over night too as well as the inlet mani :D Exhaust is on the cards at a later date I think, once I have more expendable cash :lol: Auber Gauge sounds great! will be first on the list I think :mrgreen:

stu_71
Hard Yaka

Postby stu_71 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Yep, both the water temp unit and the egr temp unit in my thread are from Auberins. The stock dash temp gauge is utter crap. You'll know what I mean when you install the Auberins.

Depending on what gauge you have you can mod the actual gauge by adding some gizmos (a resistor I think) but only on a certain type of OEM temp gauge. I'll try to find the link. Edit. Here you go... http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm

When you have the intercooler off have a good look down into the inlet manifold, that's where the layers of black crud build up. You can get most off it with a scraper.

Re exhausts. I bought a Rage 3inch from Autobend in CHCh and Tom built me a replacement dump pipe to match. Awesome

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Those Auberins gauges are the business and exactly what I am looking for. Was going to look at the auto gauge meters, but these seem more accurate and also a better fit under the stereo. Is the M8x1 size option most common for everyone?

I have a newer dash than the one shown in the link you posted me, would need different resistor values or same? Sounds like Toyota was trying to trick us on the 1KZ temps :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the Auberins one I will be much happier with regardless. :D

Once the EGR blanking plates arrive I plan to do a weekend on the lux and pull things apart and do a proper clean of all the crud shite in there. Looking forward to reaping the benefits :mrgreen:

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 am

Hi Harvey

You don't need a blanking plate, just block the vacuum line that goes into the egr actuator with a ball bearing, and make sure it seats up on the outside of the little green filter thingee, so that the suction will not move it any further up the line.

But yes, install the auberins egt, also aftermarket water temp/engine watchdog or guardian etc.
Clean out the intercooler and manifold. Don't worry about removing the butterfly, I have a late model ROM pump KZ with drive by wire and the egr has been blocked off for about 100KKm. You may get a very lumpy shutdown - also the computer flips the butterfly at low rpm coasting to try and achieve a little bit of engine braking.
Also there is really no need to install a catch can after blocking egr cause there's no crap coming through from it to combine with oil vapors to cause the black crud.
1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

Harveyp
Driver/Navigator

Postby Harveyp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks Floating kiwi, i'll be doing the EGR blanking plates only because I've ordered them off trade already, will I need to block the vacuum line as well still :?:

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Nope - either/or
1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

Return to “Toyota”