BJ74 Auto PTO winch

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

BJ74 Auto PTO winch

Postby zukmeista » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Ok I have seen these things with PTO winches before, what do I need to look for to kit mine out with one? I know I need winch, driveshafts PTO drive etc but is there different types for landcruisers? What will fit and what won't?

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Re: BJ74 Auto PTO winch

Postby mercutio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:45 pm

i was under the impression you can't fit a PTO to the auto landcruisers but i could be wrong
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:03 pm

I have seen auto ones with them fitted so must be possible, I think juz on here had one at one stage?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:22 pm

first thing you want to do is pop the pto cover off the transfercase to see if the pto drive gear is in there mate not all of them got them but there most likely will be being a jap import truck, depending what pto shaft you get you may have to lengthen/shorten it to match the drivetrain length you've got, its piss easy to alter the length using a bit of tube to sleeve over the shaft and weld it all up, the Toyota ptos are grunty winches but have a piss poor collar and shear pin that likes breaking every time you think about using the winch, there are ways and means of modifying the collar to get a proper size shear pin in there

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes possible.. just need to check if it has the split xfer case and the PTO out cover on the side( some of the A440's and A442's auto were bolted to 60 series with the split case), then if it does then any 70 series output and shafts should work( you will have to check to see if the drive gear is inside the xfer).. I've only seen 1 auto PTO and that was on a 60 series but it looked like it used the same bits as the 70 but longer shafts.. key is split xfer and cover where PTO would sit.. then the rest is just bolt it on.. the 80 series PTO driven winch use a different xfer but not sure if the same output was used.. Mike Holmes is only person I know who has one and havent paid any attention to his setup.. but will have a look in June when the mainland winch challenge starts :)

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:32 pm

OK cheers guys will have a look tomorrow.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 pm

shows what a merc owner knows about toyotas lol
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 am

60 and 70 series used the same box. The early vx80 that ran parttime 4x4 used the 60 box and transfur.
All these could take pto.
Purchase drive gear off don kyatt
Later vx80 running fulltime cannot take pto.
Jap fire dept used a rear main drive output to ran pto for water pump. Less then couple hundred ever made so supper rear.
Pto box is same between manaul and auto for split t.box model

Big dif between l.c. auto and std auto is a brake fitted on neutral so when winching moving between forward and reverse to stop trans rotation when moving between rope in and rope out

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:19 am

As a rule of thumb Toyota's fitted PTO gears to the Manual trans BJ74's... But the Auto can have the PTO gear retro fitted as they all share the same split transfercase.
The later model 70 series... (prado) also share the same split transfercase but were never spec'd for a PTO winch.
As said you can retro fit it into the case.
I have done it with my KZJ78.....And its an auto.
Winches real nice as you can throttle it and change gears to get different speeds... Also you can slow it down to a crawl and not stall....
The auto also acts like a bit of a shock absorber when winching hard as the engine is connected via the torque converter...
As for drive shafts for the PTO winch... I have used CV's / drive shafts from a Honda CRV and chrome moly tube. (CV's same size as ATV units)
IMHO CV's are easier to setup for a custom fit rather than the UJ's used in the factory config....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Return to “Toyota”