80 Series Hi 4WD noise

rollingrufus
Driver/Navigator

80 Series Hi 4WD noise

Postby rollingrufus » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Giddy lads,
I have a 1992 80 series Landcruiser with a manual hub conversion. Lately Ive noticed a whirring noise coming from the front somewhere when I have Hi 4WD selected from the dash (old centre diff lock button) and the hubs engaged. It also does it with the hubs disengaged, but the Hi 4WD button still selected, but it does not make the noise in Low 4WD, or in 2WD (Button unselected). The noise comes on suddenly at about 30Kph, and disappears suddenly below that. Ive checked the propeller shaft for any movement, all seems solid there. The oil was replaced in both the gearbox and transfer case 3000Kms ago, and came out pretty clean. Its done 193000 Kms. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers lads.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: 80 Series Hi 4WD noise

Postby mudlva » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Bronze bush in hub that locates cv is shot

rollingrufus
Driver/Navigator

Postby rollingrufus » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:54 pm

mudlva wrote:Bronze bush in hub that locates cv is shot

Oh yeah? Ill look into that, makes sense because the other day the RH hub wouldn't disengage. I also had to reassemble the LH hub after the mechanics did the swivel hub seals cause it wouldn't spin. They put it together wrong, so maybe thats whats happened on the other side too. Mongrels. Cheers mate Ill pull it to bits!

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Classic indicator is fail axle seals as half shaft is rattling around and flogs the seal out

Will need to fully strip the hub down to inspect.
I would order the bush and fit it anyway as a lot of work and the bush does wear out

rollingrufus
Driver/Navigator

Postby rollingrufus » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 pm

mudlva wrote:Classic indicator is fail axle seals as half shaft is rattling around and flogs the seal out

Will need to fully strip the hub down to inspect.
I would order the bush and fit it anyway as a lot of work and the bush does wear out

Yeah right. The swivel hub seals got done about 2 months ago, does that usually include replacing the bush you are talking about? Also would it make the noise in Lo ratio as well if it was the bush?

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 pm

I've had a couple of incidences with Aisin hubs where they have been disasembled for some reason or other and then there have been issues once reassembled.

Wirring/grinding noise, a bit intermittent, always happened over a certain speed.

In stripping the hub down it had been heavily greased, and the cam wasn't set all way up in the "unlocked" position before assembly, it was say one position out I suspected.

Anyway, a good clean up, minimal grease on assembly and ensuring the cam was as high up in the unlocked position as possible cured the noise on both vehicles.

The intermittent wiring was caused by the cam not returning all the way out when unlocked, and sometimes dragging on the hub spline under the right conditions.

Seeing as your front end has recently been played with and it's easy to do, whip the hubs off and hit them with brake clean or petrol, minimal grease on assembly and see what happens :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

rollingrufus
Driver/Navigator

Postby rollingrufus » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:51 pm

DieselBoy wrote:I've had a couple of incidences with Aisin hubs where they have been disasembled for some reason or other and then there have been issues once reassembled.

Wirring/grinding noise, a bit intermittent, always happened over a certain speed.

In stripping the hub down it had been heavily greased, and the cam wasn't set all way up in the "unlocked" position before assembly, it was say one position out I suspected.

Anyway, a good clean up, minimal grease on assembly and ensuring the cam was as high up in the unlocked position as possible cured the noise on both vehicles.

The intermittent wiring was caused by the cam not returning all the way out when unlocked, and sometimes dragging on the hub spline under the right conditions.

Seeing as your front end has recently been played with and it's easy to do, whip the hubs off and hit them with brake clean or petrol, minimal grease on assembly and see what happens :D

Awesome mate thanks for that, I reckon thats the plan. Minimal grease aye? I put quite a bit in the LH hub, might redo that one too. Thanks again!

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:25 am

The bronze hub bush isnt normally replaced. Somebody who knows vx80 would look for the wear but a general greasy probably wouldnt know.
A tube of grease in the hub.
That differant to the free wheeling engagement that deiselboy is discussing. Thats just bad assembly. Still if you pull the f.w.hubs off and go for a drive you will be able to tell if it fixes the problem.
In low box the engine and drive line noise could hide well hide the worn bush issue.
Start on easy task and work into the harder task

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:45 am

mudlva wrote:The bronze hub bush isnt normally replaced. Somebody who knows vx80 would look for the wear but a general greasy probably wouldnt know.
That differant to the free wheeling engagement that deiselboy is discussing. Thats just bad assembly. Still if you pull the f.w.hubs off and go for a drive you will be able to tell if it fixes the problem.
In low box the engine and drive line noise could hide well hide the worn bush issue.

Sorry for the thread jack but when I had my front end apart a week ago I noticed one of my brass bushes has a bearing in it does this come standard in some models will take pics next time I have it apart.

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:59 am

Yes later model one came with roller bearing and earlier ones with brass bush.
Don't know if the bearing change coincided with the slightly longer CV and thicker drive flange and change from 12 valve to 24 valve
On road bearing is probably better particularly if you are still full time 4WD. Off road the brass bush would probably be more tolerant of water and dirt if it somehow got in.
Cheers
Tim

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:00 pm

imsohi wrote:
mudlva wrote:The bronze hub bush isnt normally replaced. Somebody who knows vx80 would look for the wear but a general greasy probably wouldnt know.

Sorry for the thread jack but when I had my front end apart a week ago I noticed one of my brass bushes has a bearing in it does this come standard in some models will take pics next time I have it apart.

Leigh, the bearing race is the new hub assembly part inside as they went away from the brass bush.. This still does destroy itself over time also..but i would place these in instead of the brass bush as i reckon it not as much friction on the CV shaft.

LOL what Tim was saying also..bet me toit

Return to “Toyota”