diff locker problem

peter_Kzj78
Bush Crasher

diff locker problem

Postby peter_Kzj78 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 am

hi guys,

I exchanged the actuator for my factory e-locker of my KZJ78 only last year, got a sweet bargain on a hardly used unit from a J95. pretty much the same part, different connector though and the pinion gear which goes into the diff cage is a bit longer. worked well for a year.
now I can´t actuate the locker anymore and I wonder if it´s an electrical problem?

I have changed my front wheel hubs to older model ones to fit manual free wheeling hubs. when I did that I have cut the wires which go to the electric hubs. may this be the problem here? I was using the diff lock with manual AVM free wheeling hubs before, went well but I had other issues which led to changing the entire wheel hubs.

actuation normally works when L4 is engaged. it even worked when 4-wheel drive was NOT engaged.

Today I tried to check the electrical signals when L4 engaged and ignition ON. my spouse swiched on / off several times as I believe the impulse is rather short. measured a while with NO impulse at all. There are two connectors to the diff locker, one is a 5 pin and the other only 2 pin as I remember. I had only a poor flick on the 5pin one but only in one position.

since the actuator is almost new and next to no signal I am not sure what I´m facing here? there is an ECU for the diff locker I believe. the 90 series has it somewhere in the rear as I saw in the garage handbook but no idea where to look in my KZJ78 ? glove compartment like main ECU?

maybe someone can give a hint!

thanks
pete

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Re: diff locker problem

Postby oldblue » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 am

The Control Box ( ECU ) is above the steering column Right side.
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 pm

got a sweet bargain on a hardly used unit from a J95

gotta love those one liners. :D
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:57 pm

The ECU for the locker is in the passenger's foot well , left side below the fan, behind the plastic panel.
You could have a blown fuse.
From memory the locker ecu needs to see that the truck is in low range and 4wd.
I think it gets this signal from the switches in the transfer case being activated.
I get the jist it was functioning on after you did the electric hub removal?
Also it won't operate if the speed is too fast.
There is a heap of info out on the net for the operation of the e locker as they are all the same.

Oh and when you test it turn the truck on, engine running as when you go into low it triggers the vac unit to lock in the front drive shaft and make it 4x4... and when that happens it operates the switch in the transfercase.
Also hit the hubs button to on as the idiot lights will start working and indicate if its in 4wd etc etc.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

peter_Kzj78
Bush Crasher

Postby peter_Kzj78 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:11 pm

hi guys,

many thanks for the many hints.

problem solved - but, ashamed to say, totally self inflicted error.

as written somewhere else I have changed the front wheel hubs to LJ73 pre 1990 ones to fit the AISIN free wheeliing hubs without adapter plate (had serious issues).
when doing that the cables that run to the electric free wheel hubs became redundant and good old Peter not thinking beyond the task at hand simply cut them off...
its a cable of two wires which just need to be connected and it works again. oh dear. ... I just figured that out when I was at the annual road worthy test. the test guy asked for the loose cable and if it wansn´t an ABS sensor cable that was broke...oh no , sure not. that´s when my buzzer went off and checked for it.

well...havin said this....the diff locker wouldn´t engage anyways. there was contact to the actuator which you could hear turning for preloading the spring inside but the crown wheel shaft was stuck for dirt and corrosion. took everything apart, cleaned, oiled up, and worked again.

another fine example of fine idiocy at work :shock: :oops: :lol:

I earned a laugh I guess

Return to “Toyota”