Landcruiser KZJ71 handbrake adjustment

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Landcruiser KZJ71 handbrake adjustment

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Any of you Toyota buffs have a good method of adjusting the handbrake on one of these??

It looks the same as the 80 series system, cables and handbrake drums on the rear hubs.

I remember it being a tricky, the adjustment being done at the drum end first then the main cable to the leaver.

What's the trick/best method???
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Re: Landcruiser KZJ71 handbrake adjustment

Postby Gyxx » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:37 pm

I had to do one not long back as the handbrake was only just engaging at the end of the lever travel. I just wound the adjuster on the rear hubs up until it dragged then backed it off until there was no drag felt. After that the brake was fully engaged at about 3/4s of the handbrake lever travel. Haven't adjusted the cables at all.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Pete, if they are the same as the 90series Prado with rear discs and internal shoes/drum for the hand brake I adjusted a set for a mate who had been saying for months that his hand brake was no good.
This is my way and not from the book -------- Do your JSA :evil: , remove wheels and Calipers, take Rotor/Drum off , check Pad's and Shoes, clean up Drum and Shoes. Disconnect hand brake cable clevises , check that actuator lever is free and sitting against it's stops, check that the adjuster wheel is free. Fit Rotor/drum and hold firm with two wheel nuts, through the hole in the drum click up the adjuster ____ I used a screwdriver as I didn't have a brake clicker ___ real tight, this will equalize and seat the shoes, now back off the adjuster till the drum turns freely, ___ about four clicks___ Now back Off the hand brake cable adjusters as someone before you will have adjusted the hand brake using these, reconnect the rear clevis pins, now adjust the cables till the rear levers just start to come off their stops _____ this is to far so back off the cable adjusters ONE full turn. Re assemble everything and you should be good to go. Hope this helps. One more job to do :shock: ,

FILE THE JSA,

FITZY.

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Most prado owners are forever adjusting handrake, they attract mud and go out of adjustment and grind out the shoes in no time. You can drill a hole through the disk shield and back of drum so you can flick the adjustor around without pulling everything off if they start dragging mid trip.

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:59 am

a,brakeadjuster-1.jpg
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:39 am

Here's something interesting I discovered recently:

To improve the handbrake action on 'cruisers Terrain Tamer make this slightly longer shoe strut. I'm fairly sure the KZJ71 handbrake drum is smaller than other cruisers so this exact part may not work but it would be a fairly easy bit to fabricate. One day when I'm bored in the shed I'm going to grind out a pair & give them a try.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Return to “Toyota”