Bush Crasher

2l-t lux

Postby davemeasures » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Is it worth uping the boost on my 2l-t

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Re: 2l-t lux

Postby sirLachlan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:30 pm

No . A boost increase alone will provide nothing . Unless it is producing black smoke under current operating conditions
Actually it might go slower as u get into the overboost part of the needle and it puts less diesel in

There's is a lot to be gained by altering the needle in the boost compensator to match any other upgrades which may include more boost .

Someone else will chime in with a link . There's some good ones . It's just too difficult from a phone .
Are you familiar with getting the best results from a diesel regarding fuel and boost ? As it's very different from a petrol engine

davemeasures
Bush Crasher

Postby davemeasures » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:24 am

I was going to up the boost an fuel as it seems to have stuff all power

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:48 pm

you can wind up the boost a little and wind up the fuel a little bit. also setting the boost comp pin on the aggressive ramp helps to.
however all this depends on which 2lt you have, 2lt-1 or 2lt-2.

davemeasures
Bush Crasher

Postby davemeasures » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Dano its in a 87 lux so id be gessing 1

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:44 pm

i don't know much on the 2lt-1. i recall something about turbo issues.
don;t forget you will need to install egt gauge before you start tweaking the fuel.

Im a Tumor
Bush Crasher

Postby Im a Tumor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 pm

u will be much better off swapping to a later model engine, they are incredibly low powered and well known to grenade

davemeasures
Bush Crasher

Postby davemeasures » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Its only a trailer truck if it gose bang iv got a 13bt i can put in it

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 pm

davemeasures wrote:Its only a trailer truck if it gose bang iv got a 13bt i can put in it

Hurry up and make it go bang then...

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:26 pm

davemeasures wrote:Its only a trailer truck if it gose bang iv got a 13bt i can put in it

if its only a trailer truck then skys the limit when it comes to tossing another drive train in there mate :D , those old 2l hand grenades are just about the bottom of the food chain for performance and reliability so time and money would be far better spent on something else, those 13bt motors are ok but they are obsolete and heavy boat anchors (I appreciate you've already got one so that makes it free :D ) but there are other options to get good performance rather than a heavy front end with leaf springs bottoming out, you can make those luxs pretty capable and a lot more fun with the right combination

davemeasures
Bush Crasher

Postby davemeasures » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Not to worrid about power just be nice to use 2nd in bogs

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:32 am

EGT is recommended but if its just a trailer truck and you don't care so much about the motor you would get away without it. Just let it cool down after a good trashing. They can handle high temp for a short time which is what you normally get off road.

A boost gauge would be handy as well.

Even if it isn't the best motor its still worth playing with as it will only take you an hour or two to get significantly more power than you currently have!

Space out the wastegate about 7mm ish should give you between 12 and 15 lb boost (longer bolts and washers or a nut between where it mounts and the bracket)

then you can start winding up your fuel. Google bosh turbo diesel mods. You will find endless info about the boost compensater adjustment. This limits fuel when off boost.

You need to pull the metering pin out and mark it with a vivid then run it and see the travel at your higher boost level. You will find you will probably run into the over boost range which will decrease fuel at high boost. You need to adjust the star wheel to give enough tension that it doesn't go into the over boost part of the travel.

Then start winding up your fuel to get more power but not so high that your temps go too high. If you don't have an egt if you are getting more than a puff of smoke when you floor it they you have probably gone a bit far. If you like the power add more boost to reduce smoke

If you want to start slow space the waste gate a little and wind up the max fuel screw a little then worry about the boost compensater later.

From my understanding the theory is the same with a 2lt gen 1 and and 2lt gen 2 although the turbos and heads are slightly different the fuel pumps should be the same.

The third gen which is a 2lt-e is a complete different thing as it has a computer rather than a mech pump.

davemeasures
Bush Crasher

Postby davemeasures » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:53 am

Shuld be fine i reken its only a tempry truck till i finish / start building the new 1

Return to “Toyota”