Best Radiator brand for prado

archieterrano
Bush Crasher

Best Radiator brand for prado

Postby archieterrano » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:16 am

Looking at replacing my 1KZ-TE Prado cooling systems as now 232k on it
Will be replacing the thermostat, rad cap, adding fluid to the fan clutch, and to and bottom rad hoses.

Been getting a few quotes from places
A1 Radiators $350, ADRAD radiator $400 and Silverdale $250

Anyone used these products?

I have also been told to steer clear of the fully alloy radiators as the quality isn't the best, any comments?
Worst days fishing beats best day at work. Working on trucks and drinking beer are pastimes just like fishing......

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Re: Best Radiator brand for prado

Postby Gardengnome » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:54 am

I did all this almost exactly 12 months ago on a 94 KZJ78
I had already earlier done a water pump and then replaced the thermostat, hoses, rad cap and the fluid with genuine Toyota stuff. I had the radiator cleaned out and new top tank put on and also re-did the viscous fan.

If you are doing all this based on just the mileage and not an issue I would be getting your original radiator checked over.

If the original core is OK and your engine spec is original then you will be hard pressed to improve it. the top tank will almost certainly need replacing as the plastic degrades.

I'm not a fan of aluminum in trucks due to their fatigue issues and they are a throw away item should an issue arise.

Do some searching on here regarding the viscous fan. Smurf did a bit of research and I used this to refill and re-tune the bi-metal strip that controls the fluid flow inside. I would highly recommend the empty, re-tune and fill method. just filling may end up with a fan locked too often. it needs to run free when it's supposed to. I have some fluid left over if you need to know what I used and my have the print outs lying around also.
Mine is now quiet when cold and cruising and when it heats up you can hear it roar over the engine noise while driving! A very comforting sound.

Get genuine Toyota stuff. Bit more cost but you only regret paying for it once. I'm a fan of the Toyota rad fluid. Don't get the premix stuff. Mix yourself that way you can add water if need be and later add more concentrate.

I've been meaning to run an additional gauge but life and everything else has got in the way so far.

Talk to Nick at A1 radiators. He did mine and he's a good bloke.

Later, Phil.

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 am

I have had good results with silverdale, to answer that question.
As above, if your rad is in good shape just flush and maintain.

Fan hub: I did a writeup on that with pics on the KZN185 surf forum in aus. I have just altered the adjustment screws inside the hub about 5mm and that has made a much larger difference than changing/topping up the fluid did. I suspect the bimettalic coil weakens over time.
1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Go with the adrad core. I just had my disco radiator recored with an adrad and they are too quality
Discovery 4bd1t project

archieterrano
Bush Crasher

Postby archieterrano » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Got a new radiator from Burnside radiators, did the 78 degree thermostat from toyota, and had the viscous coupling check,
Thanks for everyones input.

I have the old radiator if anyone wants it, would do as a spare to get you home. Swap for beers. Will post in for sale section
Worst days fishing beats best day at work. Working on trucks and drinking beer are pastimes just like fishing......

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 pm

floatingkiwi wrote:I have had good results with silverdale, to answer that question.
As above, if your rad is in good shape just flush and maintain.

Fan hub: I did a writeup on that with pics on the KZN185 surf forum in aus. I have just altered the adjustment screws inside the hub about 5mm and that has made a much larger difference than changing/topping up the fluid did. I suspect the bimettalic coil weakens over time.

Got a Link to ya thread??
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:57 pm

1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

Return to “Toyota”